What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Milford / Oates collision.... play-on or not?

colly

Juniors
Mate, the rules state that it's a scrum to Penrith.

Plain and simple.

Whether you, I or anyone else here agrees with it or not, there simply was no advantage to be given.
My take is it wasn't accidental offside , maybe ,maybe it touched Milford leg. So even if accidental offside is applied the play can GO ON when the NON OFFENDING team picks up the ball. Another way to say it accidental offside happens when the team doing the accidental offside finishes with the ball

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
It's just another week and another dud call. Panthers or anyone else get the advantage from that play every time, regardless of the Broncos accidental off - side. The fact is the ref decided to pull up a certain try, giving the Broncos a massive advantage and possibly the win - in a finals match mind you. If the shoe was on the other foot the Broncos fans and most of the media would be screaming blue murder.

Yeah. No one whinges about the Broncos getting favourable calls...

DIOGENES

Juniors
i remember a few years ago (was on channel 7 so probably more than 25 years) a NZ V Australia test when a Kiwi pretended to have a fit and the ref got into trouble for not stopping play while the Kangaroos scored. The Kiwi played the rest of the game without any problems. After the correct, in my view, decision on Oakes, I will not be surprised to see a lot of players looking like they are poleaxed at strategic times next season. I think the rule must be that if you Are that injured that play has to be stopped you must have the rest of the game off.

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
i remember a few years ago (was on channel 7 so probably more than 25 years) a NZ V Australia test when a Kiwi pretended to have a fit and the ref got into trouble for not stopping play while the Kangaroos scored. The Kiwi played the rest of the game without any problems. After the correct, in my view, decision on Oakes, I will not be surprised to see a lot of players looking like they are poleaxed at strategic times next season. I think the rule must be that if you Are that injured that play has to be stopped you must have the rest of the game off.

Wasn't that a Sorensen who was a known epileptic? And he had a fit??

Why are people acting like last night is the first time in history that a ref has stopped a game due to injury??

Who is going to feign being knocked out whilst in an attacking situation??

Last edited:

Raiderdave

First Grade
well the only question now is if it did go from oates forward to milford
if it did
then theres no advantage from that situation & theres no argument to have.

DIOGENES

Juniors
It was Dean Lonergan in 1991 and looking at the video it may well have been genuine BUT he came back on. something that should never have been allowed and hopefully wouldn't happen now.

Front-Rower

First Grade
There's an advantage rule for this.

Where and how is there? Once a player knocks on and it touches the ground or another player before re-gathering it, it is a knock-on. In this case it was accidental offside as Milford was injured infront of Oates.

Reactions: JW

Canard

Immortal
It was Dean Lonergan in 1991 and looking at the video it may well have been genuine BUT he came back on. something that should never have been allowed and hopefully wouldn't happen now.

So in your view "Code in Crisis" for an event that happened 26 years ago?

OldPanther

Coach
Where and how is there? Once a player knocks on and it touches the ground or another player before re-gathering it, it is a knock-on. In this case it was accidental offside as Milford was injured infront of Oates.

They play advantage on a knock on. The non offending team gets a zero tackle unless the ref decides there's no advantage to them and it's a scrum.

snickers007

Juniors
well the only question now is if it did go from oates forward to milford
if it did
then theres no advantage from that situation & theres no argument to have.

Advantage applies to ALL aspects of the game. Yes it might have been accidental offside, but the ball had not been secured, thus the ball is not dead ans advantage can be taken.

OldPanther

Coach
Is this what happened? I wasn't paying attention. If not, why not?

The ref stopped it for the player welfare thing. Offside didn't come into it. There is a rule that the ref has discretion to stop play if they want and this is what he used.

colly

Juniors
Yes that's what happens every day of the week, so next week watch when a knock on (ball goes forward and hits the ground, the other opposing side has the right to pick up the ball and run. IF this does not advantage that side or they knock on themselves a scrum is THEN formed.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Advantage applies to ALL aspects of the game. Yes it might have been accidental offside, but the ball had not been secured, thus the ball is not dead ans advantage can be taken.

mutual infringements .. no
starts & restarts of play ... no
theres more & I'll think of them

so no, youre wrong

Front-Rower

First Grade
(ball goes forward and hits the ground, the other opposing side has the right to pick up the ball and run.

That situation is play on and always will be.

The problem with the Oates incident is that it touched Milford, that is an instant knock on. The other issue is Milford was on the ground injured, in front of Oates, which meant it was a case of accidental offside.

I would say if the refs allowed play to continue and went to the bunker, it would have come back as no try.

Once a player knocks on and it touches another player OR it touches the ground before re-gathering it, it is a knock-on

Fixed my original post above to make a bit more sense....I was too busy downing beers whilst watching the NSW Cup semi this afternoon.

Someguy

First Grade
Should the panther have been penalised for interfering with an injured player? had to touch Oates to pick up that ball

snickers007

Juniors
mutual infringements .. no
starts & restarts of play ... no
theres more & I'll think of them

so no, youre wrong

Section 16. Note on Rule 8 says:
The advantage law applies to all phases of play, but where a team infringes in a strong tactical position the advantage should be allowed only if the ball goes immediately into the possession of the non-offending team.

The referee is the sole judge of what constitutes an advantage be it tactical or territorial. An infringement is not 'negated' simply because the ball touches or is touched by an opponent. The opponent must have adequate opportunity to take advantage and must endeavour to do so before play is allowed to proceed.

Application of the advantage laws does not deprive the Referee of subsequently dealing with the offending player.

So tell me again why advantage could not have been played?

Your examples of areas where advantage is not applied is flawed. A mutual infringement by definition is where one team gains an unfair advantage from an irregularity not covered by the laws.

Regarding restarts of play, a penalty to the non-offending team is the most advantageous outcome 99% of the team. Eg. A player is in front of the kickoff. The Referee could either penalise at half way on the spot, or allow advantage and wait and see if the receiving team make a bust? Cmon of course the penalty is the better option