What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Milford / Oates collision.... play-on or not?

kdalymc

Bench
Yeah upon watching the replay, and seeing the ruling, it had nothing to do with an accidental offside so why we even going on about that...

The_Shield

Juniors
I'll admit I haven't watched it closely. I've been saying accidental offside because others said it was the case

mxlegend99

Referee
Anyone who punches that fake tough guy deserves a medal
What makes him a fake tough guy dickhead?

He got smacked square in the face and shrugged it off and kept playing.

He volunteers at local junior footy games.

He doesnt drink. He doesnt f**k dogs or piss in his own mouth. Hes the exact opposite of the shit that comes out of Canberra

Please explain why he is a fake tough guy. Hes 21 years old and is the perfect role model for young kids. Prove otherwise

no name

Coach
I don't know the rule regarding accidental offside = dead ball and scrum, no advantage. If that's the case then I have no problem with them stopping it. If it was stopped for Oates then it's ridiculous, as when the whistle went Penrith were well on the break and $1.04 to score on that play. I wish we could just get a clear rule in place for stopping the game for an injury. Not doing so cost us a try on HT against the Storm at LO in an early round in a game we lost by a point. Make a rule for consistency stake, leaving it open to discretion is not good for the game.
That's the issue I have.
Blowing the whistle when they did had no effect on the treatment that Oates was going to recieve.
Langer was already at Oates as they called time off.

Danish

Referee
I suggest you watch the presser again, he clearly said the doctors advised him that those players would be right to play next week

I suggest you talk to a doctor about the effects of concussion and how it is diagnosed and monitored.

Any "doctor" declaring Oates fit to play next week less than 2 hours after being knocked unconscious is not making that statement based on any sort of medical diagnosis

Spade

Juniors
Accidental offside is a scrum, only a penalty if the player offside makes a play at the ball.

thorson1987

Coach
Accidental offside is a scrum, only a penalty if the player offside makes a play at the ball.

There have been times this year where the offside player has played at the ball and refs have still given it as accidental offside.

nick87

Coach
What makes him a fake tough guy dickhead?

He got smacked square in the face and shrugged it off and kept playing.

He volunteers at local junior footy games.

He doesnt drink. He doesnt f**k dogs or piss in his own mouth. Hes the exact opposite of the shit that comes out of Canberra

Please explain why he is a fake tough guy. Hes 21 years old and is the perfect role model for young kids. Prove otherwise

Hahaha f**k that's a great rant

On topic, I didn't see the ball hit Milford at all. In any event that's not what the referee called
There was no call of accidental offside that I heard, the official simply stopped the game out of concern for Oates welfare
Which he's entitled to do, however given where the play was IMO, that was the wrong call

T-Boon

Coach
the biggest problem is we all know that the Penrith coaching staff and every other coaching staff are now looking at this and having a good hard think about how they can turn this into some type of a tactic.

Raiderdave

First Grade
absolutely play on

the broncos lost the ball through a mistake & penrith cleaned it up.
It would have been no more then 10 seconds to have the try scored & awarded so no real negative impact potential or otherwise in the delay getting to the players involved.
Then we take care of the injured players before the conversion.

there was no legit reason to stop the game when they did , play had to continue

The_Shield

Juniors
Ok I've looked at it again and it clearly touches Milford. It is accidental offside. It hits Milfords leg well before the panthers player picks it up

Reactions: JW

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Ok I've looked at it again and it clearly touches Milford. It is accidental offside. It hits Milfords leg well before the panthers player picks it up

Still plenty of debate on TV and radio about this, but I agree its accidental offside therefore dead ball.

However I think Archer has come out and said the referee made the call based on the players injury, which has continued debate about this.

If he confirms the accidental off side then its case closed.

GongPanther

Referee
If Oates plays next week,and after a collision like that [although I found it difficult to notice the actual contact],there could be callls to have refs allow the play to proceed.

Lets picture this scenario.Next week,what if Brisbane were behind by 2 points,with only a minute on the scoreboard.Brisbane makes a break and a Storm player attemps a tackle,and in seeing that a try is enevitable,he feigns an injury and lies flat out as if he is being knocked out.

So what does the ref do now after yesterday's scenario? Because as players see the predicament with this highlighted situation,players will now more than likely in the coming weeks test he referees discretion.

But for me,at a split second I thought the refs were going to allow play on.But thems the breaks.

Good luck to the Broncos,although they will find it a different kettle of fish next week.
@ T-Boon. This ^ is the same scenario I put up yesterday. Blokes on today's Sunday Footy Show also discussed it,but they quicky said "yea-nah!"

kit66

Bench
It's just another week and another dud call. Panthers or anyone else get the advantage from that play every time, regardless of the Broncos accidental off - side. The fact is the ref decided to pull up a certain try, giving the Broncos a massive advantage and possibly the win - in a finals match mind you. If the shoe was on the other foot the Broncos fans and most of the media would be screaming blue murder.
There have been several games this year, even in the last few weeks where a player has gone down injured and their team has been begging the ref to stop the game but the ref's have ignored those calls for 2 or 3 plays and the game has progressed 40 or 50 metres down field. This game should have been at least allowed to continue until the try was scored. Oates was in no further danger and the trainers were already leaping to his aid. Bad call.

JW

Coach
It's just another week and another dud call. Panthers or anyone else get the advantage from that play every time, regardless of the Broncos accidental off - side.

Mate, the rules state that it's a scrum to Penrith.

Plain and simple.

Whether you, I or anyone else here agrees with it or not, there simply was no advantage to be given.