What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

forby

Juniors
No quotes, no sources, just rumour and innuendo. Only on SMH not on News or Fox.
First - friendship with Cleary - no contact!
Then loves surfing and Barrett - cant paddle!
Now loves Fifita - really???
It is now reported that Todd Carney has been seen at Panthers this week!

Everybody seems to have a theory, has heard something, believes something is happening.

It would be nice to hear something from Matt or the club to clear the air!

tripster

Juniors
It doesn't seem like this view is shared but I think Maloney is under-rated. He has won two premierships with two different clubs, is incredibly skilful, has real pace and is very good at turning half an opportunity into points.

He might be heading into the later part of his career, but if we were able to pick him up comparatively cheaply (cheaper than keeping Moylan anyway) that wouldn't be bad. The extra money that we freed up could then be used to help retain Edwards and Cleary, and we'd have someone who is an experienced half to partner with Cleary.

It certainly don't see it as a step backwards, prticularly if the attitude problems around Moylan are also to be believed.

mxlegend99

Referee
It doesn't seem like this view is shared but I think Maloney is under-rated. He has won two premierships with two different clubs, is incredibly skilful, has real pace and is very good at turning half an opportunity into points.

He might be heading into the later part of his career, but if we were able to pick him up comparatively cheaply (cheaper than keeping Moylan anyway) that wouldn't be bad. The extra money that we freed up could then be used to help retain Edwards and Cleary, and we'd have someone who is an experienced half to partner with Cleary.

It certainly don't see it as a step backwards, prticularly if the attitude problems around Moylan are also to be believed.
Maloney averaged:

13.85 tackles
6.05 missed tackles
0.6 try assists
0.5 linebreak assists
0.35 linebreaks
0.2 tries
72metres per game

He had a shocking 2017 season and age is against him bouncing back. Throw the worst defensive player and most penalised player into our team and there's just no way it improves us.

Moylan had a poor season and still beats him in nearly every area while injured.

betcats

Referee
No quotes, no sources, just rumour and innuendo. Only on SMH not on News or Fox.

Everybody seems to have a theory, has heard something, believes something is happening.

The fifita relationship is well known and genuine, they are very good friends, family in fifitas own words. Not saying it makes him more likely to leave, but that part is certainly not made up.

franklin2323

Immortal
The fifita relationship is well known and genuine, they are very good friends, family in fifitas own words. Not saying it makes him more likely to leave, but that part is certainly not made up.

Graham too is part of that crew. Then of course Seg so there is enough of a link and we have yet to actually hear from Moylan personally to say he is staying

flash

Juniors
The longer this drags on, the more obvious it is that Gould is just letting this all play out in media so that it looks like Moylan is the one wanting to leave and have the club financially benefit from it.

Port Panther

Juniors
Cronulla and Manly definatley using Blacktown as a breeding area for getting players that are developed by Penrith and stealing juniors cause they dont have any .

Tronald Crump

Juniors

Practically every story on his future has been speculation with no quotes from anybody.

Gould said this last Friday on the Big sports breakfast.
'Having knee surgery today for a clean up so he can be back for pre season training. Gould claimed on radio last Friday nothing has changed on his contract situation.Despite the constant media stories Penrith aren't worried about the distractions'

http://media.skyracing.com.au/POD/1/hemWak.mp3
Moylan bit is at the 8 minute mark.

Last edited:

Tronald Crump

Juniors
Gould has told us a month ago Moylan is 100% committed to the club and he will definitely be here next year.
He keeps telling his teammates (Trent Merrin on BSB) I will be at the club next year the media stories are BS.

He is being advertised on 2018 pre season marketing.

Obviously things can change but, surely the the club and Matt wouldn't go that those lengths to turn around weeks later and part ways?

Surely they wouldn't go to those lengths to lie to everyone?

Tronald Crump

Juniors
If we trade Moylan for Maloney I wont be spending a cent on anything that goes toward the club until Gus and Griffin are gone.

Maloney is a dirty grub that cant tackle (Moylans poor too, but still shits on Maloney) and his best years are behind him. He was barely better than Pearce in Origin this year and his club form for the Sharks was average at best. We are a poorly disciplined team and adding the most penalised player in the competition to our roster is going to hurt us. Not help.

I know he made the Australian squad. But it sure as hell had nothing to do with form. They decided to blindly be loyal to some drop kicks who didn't deserve it probably to help sabotage NSW next year without hurting Australias chances.

Losing two long-term prospects in the same season to sign a journeyman on the decline would be rock bottom IMO.

Edit
Although with his use in 2018 marketing asnd appearing in Panthers gear at events I would like to think the story is a beat up. Surely the club wouldnt use him like that if he was going?

Agree on Maloney. Been a very good player in the past but this year his form has slide.
His next contract will be a retirement contract. I don't think bringing someone here for that reason is a good idea.

martielang

Bench
His form is on the slide but I still think picking him up for a year or two would work for us. It should take some of the heat off Cleary & give us a bit of experience where it's needed, as well as giving us a bit of mongrel which we lack.

I'd love to keep Moylan, but if he doesn't want to be here or give 100% for the club, good riddance. He's not near the player people make him out to be.

I personally also look forward to seeing Umina go for Cronulla.

franklin2323

Immortal
Agree on Maloney. Been a very good player in the past but this year his form has slide.
His next contract will be a retirement contract. I don't think bringing someone here for that reason is a good idea.

I'd bring Cronk here. Maloney I can take or leave. Lets look at the Broncos semi Cleary kept doing the same thing. No doubt it was game plan but Cronk or Maloney or any experienced half would of went to plan B or C before halftime.

It is what the elite's have that others don't. we need 1 or 2 years of someone on field doing that to teach Cleary. Then he can take over for Blore or Luani to be eased into FG

betcats

Referee
His form is on the slide but I still think picking him up for a year or two would work for us. It should take some of the heat off Cleary & give us a bit of experience where it's needed, as well as giving us a bit of mongrel which we lack.

I'd love to keep Moylan, but if he doesn't want to be here or give 100% for the club, good riddance. He's not near the player people make him out to be.

I personally also look forward to seeing Umina go for Cronulla.

I agree if Moylans not committed he should go, I just think better management could avoid the situation and get him on board, clubs have to deal with difficult personalities, it's part of the game.

Re Maloney, as long as we aren't upgrading or extending his deal then bring him in for a year if we must lose Moylan, we need to partner someone with Nathan. But it's a big step backwards, there's no way around that. How long are we supposed to be mediocre, at this rate we will never genuinely compete for a premiership because every year we are making big changes to the playing group and the coaching staff, that's not building or progressing, it's going backwards.

franklin2323

Immortal
Re Maloney, as long as we aren't upgrading or extending his deal then bring him in for a year if we must lose Moylan, we need to partner someone with Nathan. But it's a big step backwards, there's no way around that. How long are we supposed to be mediocre, at this rate we will never genuinely compete for a premiership because every year we are making big changes to the playing group and the coaching staff, that's not building or progressing, it's going backwards.

How is it a step back? When is the last time we have a had a test and SOO half at the club? Moylan has had some amazing games all were at fullback. Hell even the Warriors made the GF when Maloney was there. Maloney's resume is pretty decent. That said a 2 year contract at most would be all I would offer

betcats

Referee
How is it a step back? When is the last time we have a had a test and SOO half at the club? Moylan has had some amazing games all were at fullback. Hell even the Warriors made the GF when Maloney was there. Maloney's resume is pretty decent. That said a 2 year contract at most would be all I would offer

So Moylan didn't play any good games in the halves? Maloney had an average year and is the wrong side of 30, we don't have cleary locked up and he has obviously knocked back the cheap ass extension Gus offered, we could be looking for two new halves in two years.

Having TMM and Moylan on the books in2017 and neither in 2018 would be a massive f**k up. Look at the talent Gould has let go, what successful clubs is continually letting there most talented players go? None.

Edit: also for all his experience Maloneys biggest weaknesses are two of our biggest weaknesses, defence and discipline. His defence will get worse as he ages and there's no reason for his discipline to be so poor so I can't see that improving.

Last edited:

MrBlack

Juniors
Maloney would be a calmer head on fifth play options. Repeat sets or an alternate kicking option.

He has won grand finals, played rep footy and both recently. Would be a perfect mentor for Cleary for a few years until the next halves claim a spot from lower grades.

We are now a development club. Our leadership group could be guys like Merrin, Maloney, Tamau, Whare. Regardless of on-field form, they bring a wealth of knowledge and mentoring off the field. Exactly what our juniors need.

betcats

Referee
Maloney would be a calmer head on fifth play options. Repeat sets or an alternate kicking option.

He has won grand finals, played rep footy and both recently. Would be a perfect mentor for Cleary for a few years until the next halves claim a spot from lower grades.

We are now a development club. Our leadership group could be guys like Merrin, Maloney, Tamau, Whare. Regardless of on-field form, they bring a wealth of knowledge and mentoring off the field. Exactly what our juniors need.

Ahh yes waiting for kids to develop, we've only been doing that for 6 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.