What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Star Wars The Last Jedi *** SPOILERS ***

Generalzod

Immortal
No offence to you mate but the whole "Ep 7 was just a rehash/remake/redux of Ep 4" statements are a total load of BS. Sure there are some similar story beats but for every similarity involved, there are 4-5 story elements that are completely different.

Its lazy thinking from audiences and critics imo.

Sorry, its just a big bug bear of mine
Really BS...Like wise with me the movie was a rehash..The first Start wars we got to see the destruction of the Death Star, in the Force awaken we got to see the destruction of a bigger and more destructive space station called Star Killer...The movie is a rehash a retelling of a new hope.

Last edited:

Caped Crusader

Juniors
You can post all the vids you want regarding this, wont make a difference as its easy to look at the similarities and totally ignore the much larger number of differences and call it a remake

Sorry mate, but its sheer sheepism and laziness to suggest so imo

elyod138

Bench
Thousands of movies share similar plot points, it's the rest of the stuff which sets them apart.

Yeah, using another death star for TFA was not the height of creativity but I can see they did it because they wanted to echo the original trilogy.

Calling it a remake of A New Hope is a lazy oversimplification and shows a lack of understanding of the elements which make up a film.

Last edited:

saint.nick

Coach
star-wars-the-last-jedi-poster.jpg
The first thing I immediately noticed when I saw this poster?

Luke looks like a villain. Kylo Ren looks like a protagonist. Have a look at all the Star Wars posters and in EVERY single one of them the villain looms at the back. Kylo Ren is occupying a position on that poster normally occupied by a protagonist. There is no way the poster designers weren't aware of this. Very interesting.

*Edit* Except the episode 2 poster, there isn't a villain in that one at all. But when a poster does feature a villain, they always loom at the back.

Zoidberg

First Grade
Not sure of the exact quote but Rian Johnson said something to allude to the fact that Rey and Kylo are co-leads of this movie. Just makes me think we will get a lot of screen time with him, not necessarily going to have him turn good.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Thousands of movies share similar plot points, it's the rest of the stuff which sets them apart.

Yeah, using another death star for TFA was not the height of creativity but I can see they did it because they wanted to echo the original trilogy.

Calling it a remake of A New Hope is a lazy oversimplification and shows a lack of understanding of the elements which make up a film.
:clap:

Jono078

Referee
I was never a Star Wars guy until The Force Awakens.

I have now watched about 50 videos in total since the second trailer release of The Last Jedi about trailer reactions, breakdowns and theories.

Help me.

I have now watched about 50 videos in total since the second trailer release of The Last Jedi about trailer reactions, breakdowns and theories.

Help me.

No you have to say that as -

"Help me Obi-wan Kenobi, help me" ;) :p

Zoidberg

First Grade

Help me.
Good, gooooood.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I’ve always been of the same opinion. That those similarities were used as a vehicle to re-establish the feel of the original trilogy that the prequels lost. I think the rest of the story will be completely different.

RockWheel

Bench
Reusing the story beats of the original Star Wars in TFA was basically done as others have said to reinforce that this new movie was real, honest to god real Star Wars. TFA evokes the ur-example of Star Wars that most people would recognise as being 'good' Star Wars (not like the prequels you see, this is nothing like those we promise). A desert planet, a Death Star, some old characters, the millennium falcon, 'new' empire, 'new' rebel alliance.

But the characters are all pretty unique and not just stand ins for the original characters which is pretty important in taking the story forward. Hopefully this new movie goes in a new direction. Evoking the original is fine for one movie. One of the things that makes empire so good is that it wasn't just a 'bigger' version of a new hope, it was original and created its own iconic moments.

I’ve always been of the same opinion. That those similarities were used as a vehicle to re-establish the feel of the original trilogy that the prequels lost. I think the rest of the story will be completely different.
What in the blue f**k is it with the prequel hate

I'm not defending The phantom menace,that movie is about the shittest movie of any living franchise

Ep 2 and 3 were pretty legit though,legit enough that part way through ep 4 i was missing the acting skill of Hayden Christensen because Mark Hamill was an even whinier little merkin than his father,ep 5 is a pinnacle of cinema,i have no issue with that movie.....then we get to jedi and its a merch machine with those little f**king bears,f**k that movie and it's inspiration for dancing bears.....i enjoyed ep 7 because there was no whiny merkins and i blew several loads over Rogue one

Now Poe and Finn are going to kiss

I'm all for inclusion etc but when it's this forced,it puts me off watching a movie altogether,it was clearly a bromance with no sexual tension whatsoever,but i guess they'll retcon that...Greedo apparently shot first too!

i have little to no respect for Boyega after his cry that there's no minorities in GoT,because apparently Grey Worm is nothing,he's virtually in charge of his own unit in the Khaleesi's army ffs and none of his men are slaves,they fight as free...penisless men

LESStar58

Referee
What in the blue f**k is it with the prequel hate

I'm not defending The phantom menace,that movie is about the shittest movie of any living franchise

Ep 2 and 3 were pretty legit though,legit enough that part way through ep 4 i was missing the acting skill of Hayden Christensen because Mark Hamill was an even whinier little merkin than his father,ep 5 is a pinnacle of cinema,i have no issue with that movie.....then we get to jedi and its a merch machine with those little f**king bears,f**k that movie and it's inspiration for dancing bears.....i enjoyed ep 7 because there was no whiny merkins and i blew several loads over Rogue one

Now Poe and Finn are going to kiss

I'm all for inclusion etc but when it's this forced,it puts me off watching a movie altogether,it was clearly a bromance with no sexual tension whatsoever,but i guess they'll retcon that...Greedo apparently shot first too!

i have little to no respect for Boyega after his cry that there's no minorities in GoT,because apparently Grey Worm is nothing,he's virtually in charge of his own unit in the Khaleesi's army ffs and none of his men are slaves,they fight as free...penisless men

Clones is worse than Phantom Menace.

saint.nick

Coach
I enjoyed the prequels, especially ROTS. My personal preference is ROTS > TPM > AOTC. The plot to ROTS was very good and absolutely loved the sense of impending doom and heartbreak that would eventually arrive at the climax of the film.

My best mate actually far prefers the prequels to the originals. He's not really a fan of action with lots of blasters and very little use of Force and lightsabers, he finds it boring and generic. The prequels on the other hand have a healthy amount of lightsabers and Force usage obviously because the Jedi Order as so prominent.

RockWheel

Bench
the prequels are mostly just boring as hell. thank god for john williams. the droid factory scene is AOTC is my pick for the absolute worst scene in all of star wars.