What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which teams are likely to improve in the NRL in 2018?

Daza06

Juniors
Knights is a no-brainer and doesn't require much discussion.

The other team would be the Dragons. 2 rep players in Hunt & Graham joining a team full of talent and promising juniors.

I have the Dragons pushing to be in the top 4.

RazorRam0n

Juniors
Easy to get on the Knights bandwagon because of sympathy but it's still well short of quality and experience to challenge for finals.

Agree with dragons Graham acquisition has them looking stronger than last season and much more balanced in the halves, compared to McCrone like trading in Thurston

perverse

Referee
Easy to get on the Knights bandwagon because of sympathy but it's still well short of quality and experience to challenge for finals.
Pretty bold assertion to say that they won't be big improvers, though. People aren't getting on the bandwagon because of sympathy, they're jumping on because our recruitment has been nothing short of phenomenal, and still around a million to spend.

RazorRam0n

Juniors
Pretty bold assertion to say that they won't be big improvers, though. People aren't getting on the bandwagon because of sympathy, they're jumping on because our recruitment has been nothing short of phenomenal, and still around a million to spend.

i didn't say they wouldn't be bigger improvers, just not a top 8 finish for mine.

perverse

Referee
i didn't say they wouldn't be bigger improvers, just not a top 8 finish for mine.
lol, so you answered a question that the OP didn't ask. Fair enough. I think we'll struggle early as combinations are forming and it'll be whether we can make a late run at the 8 or not. I do think that a finals appearance is the goal at this point, though. The talent is certainly there.

RazorRam0n

Juniors
lol, so you answered a question that the OP didn't ask. Fair enough. I think we'll struggle early as combinations are forming and it'll be whether we can make a late run at the 8 or not. I do think that a finals appearance is the goal at this point, though. The talent is certainly there.

Who said I was responding to op ? Generally many are including Knights in their top 8 for some reason...

They might have money to buy another big name or 2 to change that

Perth Red

Post Whore
Improvers: Knights, Tigers, Dragons, Roosters (my tip to win it)
Losers; Dogs, Sharks, Raiders

Wooden spoon: Warriors

M2D2

Bench
I dont have the dragons improving much, not with mary still as coach.
Souths & Tigers i think have a good shot at being better that 2016, i would say warriors as well, but we all know warriors tend to find a way to suck.
Knights wont win the spoon this year thats for sure.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Warriors will improve for no other reason than everyone (their own fans included) have largely already written them off.

Warriors gonna Warrior.

perverse

Referee
Who said I was responding to op ? Generally many are including Knights in their top 8 for some reason...

They might have money to buy another big name or 2 to change that
Well you were the second reply in the thread and didn't quote anyone, so yeah I mean it's reasonable to assume you're responding to the thread and not some narrative or observation from elsewhere in the forum you've got going on in your head that you didn't at all establish context for. Doesn't really matter, just confusing as hell.

There's not really a might about it, we've still got a significant amount of cash we need to spend to get cap compliant for next season. Depending on the exact figure we've given Pearce, it could be as much as another $1 million in the pocket.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Roosters to finish 1st instead of 2nd at the end of Premiership round.

Seriously though I don't think Cronk and Teddy will be our saviours but I expect a more consistent brand of football from the Roosters next year and they should finish top 4 but anything can happen injury wise and players out of form.
The backline will be interesting with Toops, Latrell, Fergo, Flash and Manu fighting for the two wing and centre spots, forwards will be interesting, just hope than can get a full season out of Cordner. JWH's form last season was lacklustre at times and Dylan Napa proved to be a myth.

Still think Melbourne will be the team to beat next year and the Cowboys will be a big threat , Newcastle can only go up the ladder with the players they have bought, not sure how high but should be enough to keep them well clear of the dreaded spoon.
Down towards to the bottom will be the Tigers, Titans and Warriors although I hope the Tigers will go better than their roster suggests. Flip of coin whether Canberra and the Dogs will make the 8 and I'm expecting Brisbane to be lack lustre but should just have enough in them to get into the 8. That leaves Parra, Penrith, Manly, Saints Sharks and Souths who could all make the 8 , just depends on injuries, rep honours, player burn out etc, will be an interesting year.

Last edited:

Valheru

Coach
Knights will of course improve on recent seasons.

I had Canberra improving but not sure now without Hodgson

Dogs might improve but not by a great deal IMO. I think we will see steady improvement from Wests albeit finals unlikely.

Titans will improve now that the ego has left.

SBD82

Coach
I can't see the dogs improving next year. I don't think their recruitment has been great. Their forward pack is an overall downgrade, and the Morris boys are another year older and another year slower.

New coach is obviously an unknown factor. And Foran may rediscover form, but I've talked him up too many times and been wrong too many times to have any faith in foran anymore.

RazorRam0n

Juniors
Well you were the second reply in the thread and didn't quote anyone, so yeah I mean it's reasonable to assume you're responding to the thread and not some narrative or observation from elsewhere in the forum you've got going on in your head that you didn't at all establish context for. Doesn't really matter, just confusing as hell.

There's not really a might about it, we've still got a significant amount of cash we need to spend to get cap compliant for next season. Depending on the exact figure we've given Pearce, it could be as much as another $1 million in the pocket.

i'm across a few threads specifically table predictions where knights top 8 seems to be trendy at the moment, all good.

i share the sentiment with hoping the knights do well, so i would like to see them snag a bit more quality depth, and we'll revisit where i see them finishing...for now just calling a spade a spade

Vic Mackey

Referee
I think dragons will push top 4, no one else from the bottom 8 strikes me as being huge movers.

I have the knights improving but they aren’t in my 8. Still this is the first year in memory that I feel you could genuinely make a claim for any team to make the finals.