What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your team's line-up for 2018

Clifferd

Coach
sorry but that looks like the worse side in the comp on paper. i picked the warriors for the spoon only because they have shit for brains.

I look at other squads and compare them to ours and it doesn’t fill me with a lot of confidence but it’s good to finally get rid of egologistical dickheads that could trot out each week and not be accountable for their performance

Honestly I think we will do better than expected, IC is pretty good at getting the best out of his players and what I saw out of Twal, Einsenhuth, Marsters, Aloiai, Lolohea and to a lesser extent Brooks at the back end of last year plus the addition of the new recruits, I think we’re heading north moreso than south

Tommy Smith

Referee
The Tigers are a million miles ahead of the Warriors heading into 2018, whose season may well bring new meaning to the term 'car crash'.

I'd also have the Tigers ahead of the Bulldogs and Titans. I also think the Raiders will struggle - the Hodgson injury is a cruel blow and they also have zero depth.

So for me the Tigers are in that bracket of teams alongside the Knights and Rabbitohs who will be hoping to stay in the race for the top 8 until seasons end.

But ultimately the lack of a world class playmaker will probably see them finish 10th-12th.

Johns Magic

Referee
1. Holmes
2. Feki
3. Dugan
4. Leutele
5. Gray
6. Moylan
7. Townsend
8. Fifita
9. Brailey
10. Prior
11. Lewis
12. Graham
13. Gallen (C)

14. Bukuya
15. Seumanufagai
16. Capewell
17. Segeyaro

18. Paulo

Sharks have had a good pack for a long time, then they added a spine and won the premiership. Unfortunately you've now lost that spine in 18 months.

Back to the grinding style?

Clifferd

Coach
The Tigers are a million miles ahead of the Warriors heading into 2018, whose season may well bring new meaning to the term 'car crash'.

I'd also have the Tigers ahead of the Bulldogs and Titans. I also think the Raiders will struggle - the Hodgson injury is a cruel blow and they also have zero depth.

So for me the Tigers are in that bracket of teams alongside the Knights and Rabbitohs who will be hoping to stay in the race for the top 8 until seasons end.

But ultimately the lack of a world class playmaker will probably see them finish 10th-12th.

Pretty much. We’ll be that team that tries hard for 80 minutes but ultimately lacks the polish and execution

Clifferd

Coach
Any chance of Reynolds playing at hooker with Marshall/Brooks in the halves?

Nup, from most media reports Reynolds/Brooks seems set in stone. Liddle at hooker is a good prospect but seems to be made of glass, but there was a reason why Craig Bellamy tried to lure him to the storm to replace Smith once he retires

Vic Mackey

Referee

That’s what I think too. Our backs will be probably the best Meter eaters coming out of our end in the game and the pack will hold its own but we lack class in the spine and a genuine game breaker.

In saying that though we’ll have the only starting spine player who’s won an Origin Series for NSW

mxlegend99

Referee
McQueen is coming off neck surgery and won’t have played in 8 months by round 1. Aloiai was our best forward at the end of last year and I see ET and Lawrence as better players then him.

Ivan didn’t play a back on the bench at any stage last year. I think Benji is there for injuries.

I don’t see Naquima in our best 17 and hardly any tigers fans do either.

Like I said though our side is very open and there is a lot of competition for spots, you could make a case for probably 27 players in the squad to make the 17 which can only be a good thing.
I wouldnt be too confident in picking another teams top 17 ahead of their own fans. But I feel like Benji and McQueen will be there on names alone.

Also the other way to look at the 27 players for 17 spots is that not having a top 17 that basically picks itself could be bad. Its one thing to have 10 guys missing out capable of doing the job. Its another to have 20 players for 10 spots who really don't demand selection.

Competition is healthy. But having a clear winner is healthier IMO. Main reason I hate Panthers front row... we have options. But after RCG and Tamou those options are pretty average and no one is a must pick. Hell even Tamou isnt that good. He's our Adam Blair.

gitano

Juniors
1. Jack Wighton
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (c)
4. BJ Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Blake Austin
7. Aiden Sezer
8. Junior Paulo
9. Craig Garvey
10. Shannon Boyd
11. Josh Papalii
12. Eliott Whitehead
13. Joe Tapine

14. Sam Williams (maybe)
15. Sia Soliola
16. Luke Bateman
17. Not Clay Priest

Poor Walt. Dud team, dud roster.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I wouldnt be too confident in picking another teams top 17 ahead of their own fans. But I feel like Benji and McQueen will be there on names alone.

Also the other way to look at the 27 players for 17 spots is that not having a top 17 that basically picks itself could be bad. Its one thing to have 10 guys missing out capable of doing the job. Its another to have 20 players for 10 spots who really don't demand selection.

Competition is healthy. But having a clear winner is healthier IMO. Main reason I hate Panthers front row... we have options. But after RCG and Tamou those options are pretty average and no one is a must pick. Hell even Tamou isnt that good. He's our Adam Blair.

Fair points and totally understand where you are coming from.

This is new for west’s fans as we’ve generally always had a few star big Name players I.e Farah, Benji, Tedesco, Blair, woods, Tuqiri, Prince, Ellis etc.

Yet for all that we’ve made 3 finals series in 18 years. We’ve been streaky and inconsistent, even when we’re down the bottom of the table we always take a few big scalps. For instance in 2014 we came 15th yet were the only team that year that beat both grand finalists.

Now we’ve got a team with a few good first graders and a heap of capable ones. But mostly we seem to be having a culture shift to have a team that cares about the team first as opposed to the main motivation being making rep sides or your next contract. As a fan that’s all I ask.

Life's Good

Coach
My opinion for the Dragons:

1. Dufty
2. MacDonald
3. Aitken
4. Lafai
5. Nightingale
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
8. Vaughan
9. McInnes
10.Graham
11.Frizzell
12.Thompson
13.DeBelin

14.Sims
15.Sele
16.Ah Mau
17.Leulia/Host

Apart from Dufty we are a pretty slow backline which could do with an injection of speed from players like Zac Lomax(no FG experience but a very promising junior)and Jai Field(super quick with very limited FG experience). Kurt Mann is also lurking in the shadows.

I just can't see Supercoach taking anything other than a conservative approach to Rd1 vs. Broncos. He was pretty stubborn last year so it's likely to remain that way for a good few rounds as well(not a problem if we are winning).

OldPanther

Coach
My opinion for the Dragons:

1. Dufty
2. MacDonald
3. Aitken
4. Lafai
5. Nightingale
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
8. Vaughan
9. McInnes
10.Graham
11.Frizzell
12.Thompson
13.DeBelin

14.Sims
15.Sele
16.Ah Mau
17.Leulia/Host

Apart from Dufty we are a pretty slow backline which could do with an injection of speed from players like Zac Lomax(no FG experience but a very promising junior)and Jai Field(super quick with very limited FG experience). Kurt Mann is also lurking in the shadows.

I just can't see Supercoach taking anything other than a conservative approach to Rd1 vs. Broncos. He was pretty stubborn last year so it's likely to remain that way for a good few rounds as well(not a problem if we are winning).

It's good you guys have Ruan because she's the best Sims and will make you top 4 in spite of the super coach.

RazorRam0n

Juniors
I look at other squads and compare them to ours and it doesn’t fill me with a lot of confidence but it’s good to finally get rid of egologistical dickheads that could trot out each week and not be accountable for their performance

Honestly I think we will do better than expected, IC is pretty good at getting the best out of his players and what I saw out of Twal, Einsenhuth, Marsters, Aloiai, Lolohea and to a lesser extent Brooks at the back end of last year plus the addition of the new recruits, I think we’re heading north moreso than south

look i'm not trying to lay the boot in, yes the tigpies have improved but unfortunately so has the entire competition....it's an odd one this season.

i like eisenhuth though, his work rate is impressive, and as a supercoach enthusiast, i'll be keeping another eye on him this season ;) but he could very well turn out the next shaun fensom (too limited offensively when the side improves around him). twal's shown some promise at WC, the rest is junk i'm sorry.

1. Brimson
2. Sami
3. Copley
4. Hurrell
5. Don
6. Elgey
7. Taylor
8. Wallace
9. Peats
10. Latu
11. James
12. Proctor