What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion

Card Shark

Immortal
So Commission Chairman John Grant is standing down & the new Chairman, Peter Beattie is advocating expansion.

I reckon we need 2 new teams. 1 in Brisbane west (Ipswich) & either another NZ team or a Perth team.

With the demise of the Western Force & the NZ Warriors being so f**king hopeless, I’d probably go Perth.

Expansion, a good or bad idea?

carcharias

Immortal
f**k Perth

Why give places who don’t even follow rugby league a team?

Country nsw or qld or both
PNG would be awesome for PNG

PJ

First Grade
Where do they get enough players for 2 more teams is my greatest hesitation.

Already a heap of ordinary footballers running around in the NRL so can't image another 2 teams spreading the talent further.

Eion

First Grade
PNG is deadset 3rd world. Cannot see them in 20 years minimum just on security.

One thing I dont think we’ll see is a 2nd brissy team with beatie a big donkey fan...

Generalzod

Immortal
PNG is deadset 3rd world. Cannot see them in 20 years minimum just on security.

One thing I dont think we’ll see is a 2nd brissy team with beatie a big donkey fan...
Eion there are some places in Australia that are considered 3rd world

azzah72

Bench
I think there's only 4 possible options.

4th Qld team and Perth.

Perth has a pretty strong rugby league following and have a reasonable juniors comp.

PNG and 2nd nz Team

If we lose Sydney teams:

Adelaide and 2nd Vic team. (Never see it happening)

coolumsharkie

Referee
PNG would have to be Australian based. No way to ensure security let alone recruiting any non native PNG player/resident. Besides that their economy is about half that of ours so there would be a huge pay gap also. Perth and 2nd Bris.

carinashark

First Grade
Well it could be three new teams soon. With St George staggering , Wollongong going soccer and their heartland of Hurstville/Kogahaaaa gone that way as well, they will have to merge with us.
I like the idea of a Country side, but maybe all of the east coast. But where would the crowd come from? Country Dragons?
PNG, great players but it would have to be strictly administered and train in Qld for safety. PNG deserves a team but it is a wild and corrupt place. The NRL could loose their shirt up there.
Adelaide is all AFL, forget that one.
Perth , to far,too much cost, ask Super Leauge.
Tonga,mmmmcould be good but don’t put them on the same plane as the Warriors. Auckland airport could be a problem as well.

PJ

First Grade
Adelaide when they had a team actually got good support for how the team performed

Ads

First Grade
Perth and Brisbane. Nz and Adelaide back up options. PNG is a dump and could not handle it.

Perth makes the most sense for the tv times and that's what will drive the decision makers.

shaggs

Coach
The only sensible option until more clubs are financially stable is Perth and Brisbane 2.

TV Money is what keeps this game running. Those two options make the next deal at least on par with the current one.

But also f**k Perth

Frenzy.

Immortal
Dont agree with Brisbane MK II.

Dilutes the juniors. Concentrates the teams too closely together. Reduces the pool of players for Sydney to draw on and lets face it the better ones are coming out of Queensland. The opposite and perhaps upside is Sydney clubs would have to llok to their own juniors and what’s left of the CRL.

If it needs to be Queensland I reckon between Cows and Broncs. Rockhampton perhaps.

A team in another state becomes another pseudo Queensland team anyway like the Brisbane Storm.

For infrastructure, current growth, true expansion, current player numbers, past crowd figures, money, TV needs, lifestyle the other likely team would seem to be Perth.