What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drop kick try

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Spot on mate, Billy was always going for a kick
giphy.gif

mave

Coach
It's amazing how Slater so often ends up on the "right" side of the refs decisions.

Truly amazing.

Anyway, I look forward to players knocking on and then trying to boot the ball 40m upfield. I wonder how many of those will be called play on.

Apey

Staff member
Billy’s intention was to grubber the ball. He clearly dropped it on the ground instead of his foot. Just so happened he’d started the process of kicking so continued on anyway.
He knew he’d f**ked up but played on anyway, however you could see in his face that he’d dropped the ball cold and didn’t expect the try.
Even when the ref awarded it, you could see that Billy was embarrassed.
No way that was an intentional drop kick and no way should it have been a try.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/04/20/referees-boss-explains-slater-drop-kick-try

It doesn't have to be an intentional drop kick in entirety, it just has to be an intentional drop of the ball for it be a valid drop kick, which it was. Intentional drop for an accidental drop kick.

Danish

Referee
This is nowhere near the worst "dropkick" try awarded in the NRL.

Who could forget Benji's magical efforts?

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/04/20/referees-boss-explains-slater-drop-kick-try

It doesn't have to be an intentional drop kick in entirety, it just has to be an intentional drop of the ball for it be a valid drop kick, which it was. Intentional drop for an accidental drop kick.

That's a stupid rule. And it's wrong anyway. Billy didn't intentionally drop it, his intention was to put it on his foot which isnt a drop. If he was dropping a goal and it hit his shin, or nicked his boot, so be it. And it's not a valid drop kick because no f**ker kicks one at 6-0 down from 5m out way right of the posts in traffic.

These Fawlty Towers refs find new ways to be incompetent every week.

simmo05

Bench
No try every day of the week. But on a side note, how good was it see the donkeys cop one! If only it was in golden point to win melbourne the game, oh well, cant win them all i guess!

Pedge1971

First Grade
Call it passionate anger more than anything. I have just about had it up to here with the humiliatingly amateur nature in which this comp is run. There was a rule in the rulebook that Billy Slater, a future Immortal and 300 game player, discovered by accident in the middle of a game. How does that even happen?

Passionate anger? Never heard of the f**ker. But Souffs fans must feel very sorry for your plight after Milfs drooped goal was allowed last year.

A minutes silence please....

nick87

Coach
Who gives a shit? It happened to the broncos. Total non issue

I do hope this doesn’t happen to a team like the tigers or panthers and if it does, I reckon Kent and Gould will be screaming from the roof tops
And rightly so

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
This is nowhere near the worst "dropkick" try awarded in the NRL.

Who could forget Benji's magical efforts?

The worst drop kick in rugby league history goes to Noel Cleal during a SOO at the SCG in the early 1990s.

Not even sure it he got a foot to it.

T-Boon

Coach
the broncos should have been awarded a try when Slater was dropped on the try line with a big don't argue you little bitch face palm. Thats is a try under the rule.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Marshalls foot could at least be argued to graze the ball before it got to ground, Slater deadset did not.

Meh. One was 7 years ago, the other involved teams that deserve rough calls for a change.

Latest posts