What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drop kick try

The_Shield

Juniors
At the end of the day it doesn’t really matter. Storm won by 14. Also the Broncos first try came from the last play of a 7 tackle set that should of only been 6. So even stevens are far as I’m concerned

SBD82

Coach
Dear god, I cannot wait to see the reaction to this if it happens and every club in the comp starts to DROP THE BALL ONTO THE GROUND and then GRUBBER it into the in goal.

You thought the blowup over the ref crackdown was a fireworks show.
I mean a directive in your favour. Jesus you're touchy tonight.

kdalymc

Bench
wont happen for another 50 years because its actually harder. you would know if you ever strapped on a boot

aimed at IBM

Billy’s intention was to grubber the ball. He clearly dropped it on the ground instead of his foot. Just so happened he’d started the process of kicking so continued on anyway.
He knew he’d f**ked up but played on anyway, however you could see in his face that he’d dropped the ball cold and didn’t expect the try.
Even when the ref awarded it, you could see that Billy was embarrassed.
No way that was an intentional drop kick and no way should it have been a try.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
I mean a directive in your favour. Jesus you're touchy tonight.

Call it passionate anger more than anything. I have just about had it up to here with the humiliatingly amateur nature in which this comp is run. There was a rule in the rulebook that Billy Slater, a future Immortal and 300 game player, discovered by accident in the middle of a game. How does that even happen?

Call it passionate anger more than anything. I have just about had it up to here with the humiliatingly amateur nature in which this comp is run. There was a rule in the rulebook that Billy Slater, a future Immortal and 300 game player, discovered by accident in the middle of a game. How does that even happen?
Your boys benefit from these calls more than any other side. About time you got a good f**king from the refs

The_Shield

Juniors
Billy’s intention was to grubber the ball. He clearly dropped it on the ground instead of his foot. Just so happened he’d started the process of kicking so continued on anyway.
He knew he’d f**ked up but played on anyway, however you could see in his face that he’d dropped the ball cold and didn’t expect the try.
Even when the ref awarded it, you could see that Billy was embarrassed.
No way that was an intentional drop kick and no way should it have been a try.
Spot on mate, Billy was always going for a kick and I’m guessing that’s why the refs ruled the way they did. I was surprised they gave it tho but as others have mentioned, it’s not the first time tries have come from this, probably won’t be the last either, but they’re a rarity and it didn’t really impact the match.

SBD82

Coach
Same way your club gets a bullshit penalty in golden point to win a game. f**king who knows?

And please don't call him a future immortal. It's not a foregone conclusion yet. So many things could get in the way. He could be suspended for this entire year for trying to kick someone lying on the ground, a nuclear holocaust, anything. We live in hope.

TheVelourFog

First Grade
actually i'd like to see dropped balls that are kicked called play on

will speed the game up and lead to more try-scoring opportunities

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
You would see a situation probably a couple of times a year when the ball is dropped in play, the ball carrier lashes at it with the foot on the first bounce and kicks it ahead. I can’t remember a single time in recent years where this situation has been called to play on.
Benji Marshall against the dragons, first semi final 2011.

Still f**king dirty about that one.

Particularly as the 'kick' was off his shin once the ball hit the ground.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Same way your club gets a bullshit penalty in golden point to win a game. f**king who knows?

And please don't call him a future immortal. It's not a foregone conclusion yet. So many things could get in the way. He could be suspended for this entire year for trying to kick someone lying on the ground, a nuclear holocaust, anything. We live in hope.

He's gonna be in immortal mate. I don't like the smell of it either but can you really see the NRL not putting all of the big 3 in there at some stage?

kdalymc

Bench
Benji Marshall against the dragons, first semi final 2011.

Still f**king dirty about that one.

Particularly as the 'kick' was off his shin once the ball hit the ground.

Very different but yeah that sucked I probably would’ve said no try.

Edit- We get into more blurred territory there- is a kick allowed to come off your shin ?

blaza88z

Coach
As bad as the call was the thing I find most disturbing was Ashley Klein explaining it 100% wrong

Will we see players wildly swinging with their feet now as a result of this horrible decision? The NRL needs to clear it up so it doesn't happen again

blaza88z

Coach
Spot on mate, Billy was always going for a kick and I’m guessing that’s why the refs ruled the way they did. I was surprised they gave it tho but as others have mentioned, it’s not the first time tries have come from this, probably won’t be the last either, but they’re a rarity and it didn’t really impact the match.

It should be the last, you can't drop kick the ball unless you're attempting a field goal

Saxon

Bench
It's a non issue cause it happened to the Broncos. Just wait until Penrith or the Tigers cop it. You'll need to drop down to Bunnings to get some quality pliers to remove Paul Kent and Phil Gould from the roof.
Seriously, could you sook any harder?

Personally I don't think it was a try; but there are plenty of occasions when we disagree with the video ref and there's nought we can do about it - so shut up and move on.

Last edited: