What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complaint of racial abuse in Roosters v Broncos

Whenever someone tries to tell you that the Roosters are professionally run, point them to their handling of this incident as a counter argument.

Then again, some might say they're a reflection on their fans, who on another forum are united as one in claiming that Spencer is the innocent victim of a woke witchhunt. Some are even boycotting the NRL until Leniu returns to the field.

They've now taken the mantle for worst fans and club in the game from the Panthers, at least for now.
A CEO/coaching staff in any club has a lot of stuff going on in their head. They probably have a white board full of strategic plans for market and social events. Outlines of where troubles possibly lie ahead and contingencies. I’m betting that nowhere in their heads or whiteboards is there a ‘what do we do if a player of colour racially vilifies another player of colour’. Club clearly caught off guard and I reckon no one would’ve handled it differently given how f**ked up it is. Except maybe Dessie or Ricky. They could’ve gone either way.

Last edited:

skeepe

Immortal
A CEO/coaching staff in any club has a lot of stuff going on in their head. They probably have a white board full of strategic plans for market and social events. Outlines of where troubles possibly lie ahead and contingencies. I’m betting that nowhere in his head or whiteboard is there a ‘what do we do if a player of colour racially vilifies another player of colour’. I reckon on one would’ve handled it differently given how f**ked up it was. Except maybe Dessie or Ricky. They could’ve gone either way.

Yeah I know what you mean. I just really wish you could stop being so decent about it all, you're ruining my narrative about Roosters fans! Although I reckon Danish probably does enough for both of you to be fair.

I'd like to think Ricky would take the right approach but he's always good for a surprise or two.

Yeah I know what you mean. I just really wish you could stop being so decent about it all, you're ruining my narrative about Roosters fans! Although I reckon Danish probably does enough for both of you to be fair.

I'd like to think Ricky would take the right approach but he's always good for a surprise or two.
I think both Ricky and Dessie are decent but you just don’t know what you’re gonna get with them but will definitely be entertaining

This right here is exactly why everyone with a brain thinks the Roosters have handled this terribly.

He was NOT honest from the outset. He did NOT want to own it immediately, he said it was fun and games and called Mam out again in post match interviews and later at the hotel.

The Roosters are trying to gaslight the country with their rubbish. Don’t let them.

Honestly what a disgrace of a club.

Good. 'I want to see Ezra in Brisbane' is the headline on nrl.com, like anyone gives a f**k what Spencer wants. You call someone a monkey, you lose the right to call the shots on what happens. Mam said f**k off last week, and fair enough.

I wish clubs would grow a pair and accept 100% responsibility. The Roosters saying Leniu didn't mean to put down Ezra in a racial-based way, is such blame-absolving BS and insulting to anyone with any common sense. Zero chance he calls a white player a monkey. Then they say he put his hand up and wanted to own this immediately - no he didn't, he said it was fun and games and banter, and that he wanted to square up with Mam after the game. Not to apologise.
I don't think Leniu or other Pacific Islander players will let remarks they cop stay on the field from now on.

I can see a raft of on field complaints being made and other players fronting the judiciary on similar charges as Leniu

Will these players also receive 8 weeks.

Mam will cop a lot of sledging from now on and not necessarily from other opposition players but from opposition supporters as it showed a weakness which will be exploited.

It was the 69th minute and Mam was saying he couldn't concentrate on his game after this incident - he had a poor game up to that point in any case.

Iamback

Coach
Or, and hear me out here, players could not use racist slurs towards other players, particularly those of a different race.

Like our women's soccer captain who used a racial slur that 99% of people wouldn't see as one?

soc123_au

Staff member

Sticky would have been straight on the phone to Ezras kindy teacher trying to find some dirt.

MKCS

Juniors
8 weeks just doesn't seem fair. I understand wanting to stamp racism out of the game and I'm totally for that but Latrell Mitchell broke Manu's face and tried to fight him and only got 6. Greg Inglis got in a car drunk and sped to only miss out on 2 games, even Val Holmes only missed 1 game for uploading a photo on socials of him with a "white bag"

Surely potentially killing people and causing a relatively serious injury due to foul play is at the very least equal to Leniu calling Mam a monkey...

Wizardman

First Grade
I don't think Leniu or other Pacific Islander players will let remarks they cop stay on the field from now on.

I can see a raft of on field complaints being made and other players fronting the judiciary on similar charges as Leniu

Will these players also receive 8 weeks.

Mam will cop a lot of sledging from now on and not necessarily from other opposition players but from opposition supporters as it showed a weakness which will be exploited.

It was the 69th minute and Mam was saying he couldn't concentrate on his game after this incident - he had a poor game up to that point in any case.
I could not disagree with the bold statement more. I would seriously doubt many sledges on the field would be of a racial nature.
Even if there was, I think this incident would definitely have every club reading the riot act regarding using racist terms on the field.

Danish

Referee
Whatever your view of the incident, repercussions etc.

Leniu basically responding to Legal Counsel when asked about Adam Goodes "who?" is one the highest quality trolls of the AFL ever (either on purpose or not)

I genuinely doubt a bloke raised in the western suburbs who was 15 when Goodes retired would have even the slightest clue who he is

Danish

Referee
8 weeks just doesn't seem fair. I understand wanting to stamp racism out of the game and I'm totally for that but Latrell Mitchell broke Manu's face and tried to fight him and only got 6. Greg Inglis got in a car drunk and sped to only miss out on 2 games, even Val Holmes only missed 1 game for uploading a photo on socials of him with a "white bag"

Surely potentially killing people and causing a relatively serious injury due to foul play is at the very least equal to Leniu calling Mam a monkey...

dorm forget Dylan brown’s 7 weeks for pleading guilty to sexual assault

Vee

First Grade
Whenever someone tries to tell you that the Roosters are professionally run, point them to their handling of this incident as a counter argument.

Then again, some might say they're a reflection on their fans, who on another forum are united as one in claiming that Spencer is the innocent victim of a woke witchhunt. Some are even boycotting the NRL until Leniu returns to the field.

They've now taken the mantle for worst fans and club in the game from the Panthers, at least for now.
Both of them?

I must confess that this was my thoughts at the beginning of all this but have come to the conclusion that this is over simplifying the matter. I’d dare say if it was a white fella who made the racial slur, we’d all be singing from the same hymn sheet and calling for him to be rubbed out of the game. It’s a different crime, therefore different judgement.

Bazal

Post Whore
I must confess that this was my thoughts at the beginning of all this but have come to the conclusion that this is over simplifying the matter. I’d dare say if it was a white fella who made the racial slur, we’d all be singing from the same hymn sheet and calling for him to be rubbed out of the game. It’s a different crime, therefore different judgement.

Also the fact Fatrell got off lightly shouldn't be precedent

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
It does paper over Ezra had real crap game, lost the game for the Broncos with a really poor pass and terrible defence that lead to tries.

Geez get better at sledging you idiots, monkey FFS, cop your medicine for that.

Reactions: Vee

King hit

Coach

It’s Iike this incident in the premier league a year or so ago where a player was convicted of torturing a cat and he had a teammate who defended him saying racism is worse. Yeah wanker saying mean things is definitely the same as torturing innocent animals. f**king deadshits.

morley101

Juniors
So a racial slur is worth 2 gay slurs but some believe that is wrong.... its worth 3 gay slurs.
Montoya got 4 weeks for gay slur In 2022.

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
I genuinely doubt a bloke raised in the western suburbs who was 15 when Goodes retired would have even the slightest clue who he is
When I first read this, I was like, WTF are you talking about it wasn't that long ago???

Yep, now I feel old.... Covid really f**ked up the timeline.

Latest posts