What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

09 :: R17 Sun :: Panthers 38 Eels 34 @ CUA

Round 17 :: Panthers v Eels

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Excellent day,great atmosphere and a very entertaining game. Great debut by Junior Tia Kilifi, i can see him and his schoolmate Jennings forming a dynamic left side combination in the future!

bigfoot

Juniors
Geez, my heart isn't made for games like that! :lol:
The amount of times I had to scream at the TV to tell players to TACKLE!!... :crazy: Insanely bad defense from both teams.
Glad to come away with the win and keep our finals chances alive. Eels season appears to be over.

How good was Tia Kilifi's debut? :D
Didn't put a foot wrong the entire afternoon, good defense, made heaps of dummy half runs to take some pressure off the forwards, and ended up coming up with the winning try AND the biggest hit of the game on Jarrod Hayne in the final minutes to put him into touch and seal the victory.

Our defense was crap, however we did it without:
Coote
Elford
Daniela
Gordon
Woolnough
Civoniceva
Iosefa
Lewis

So all in all, it's not AS bad, and I'm glad we managed to come up with the goods.

Rabbitohs next week. Based on their performance this week we should smash them if we are serious about making the finals.

Woeful refereeing

What was wrong with the refereeing? I thought it was much better than most weeks overall. :crazy:

murraymob

Coach
Geez, my heart isn't made for games like that! :lol:
The amount of times I had to scream at the TV to tell players to TACKLE!!... :crazy: Insanely bad defense from both teams.
Glad to come away with the win and keep our finals chances alive. Eels season appears to be over.

How good was Tia Kilifi's debut? :D
Didn't put a foot wrong the entire afternoon, good defense, made heaps of dummy half runs to take some pressure off the forwards, and ended up coming up with the winning try AND the biggest hit of the game on Jarrod Hayne in the final minutes to put him into touch and seal the victory.

Our defense was crap, however we did it without:
Coote
Elford
Daniela
Gordon
Woolnough
Civoniceva
Iosefa
Lewis

So all in all, it's not AS bad, and I'm glad we managed to come up with the goods.

Rabbitohs next week. Based on their performance this week we should smash them if we are serious about making the finals.

What was wrong with the refereeing? I thought it was much better than most weeks overall. :crazy:
lets not forget we may be missing jennings and posibly waterhouse for origin

mxlegend99

Referee
Very shocked to see us grabbing a win over a Parra side that was pretty strong on paper. Was an awesome game to watch despite defence being non existant as both teams were throwing the ball around and taking risks that you generally don't see these days. Much better then the safe games that are low scoring and generally fairly boring.

Junior Tia Kilifi was sensational. I had wanted him to make his debut ages ago and he certainly didn't dissapoint when he did. Runs the ball very hard and he's not afraid to put his body on the line. His shot on Hayne to stop him, and then push him over the sideline with Jennings was just great.

Very good to have Michael Jennings back. Had a very strong game considering he wasn't even a certainty to play during the week, and his last game was about 6 weeks ago.

bigfoot

Juniors
Very good to have Michael Jennings back. Had a very strong game considering he wasn't even a certainty to play during the week, and his last game was about 6 weeks ago.
What a superstar. :D
5 weeks out then scores 3 tries and sets up another to win the game. Brilliant.

mxlegend99

Referee
Souths next week will be a much harder game then the Eels were. Despite some average form and missing 2 players to State of Origin, the Panthers will be missing Michael Jennings, Frank Pritchard, Luke Lewis, Petero Civoniceva, Michael Gordon, Lachlan Coote, Masada Iosefa and we could possibly also be without Geoff Daniela, Shane Elford and Trent Waterhouse. So we're down at minimum 7 regular first grade players, and another 3 aren't certain to play with Elford and Daniela being injured, and Trent being another potential Origin player.

At any rate, i was just glad to see us win our first game without Luke Lewis. To do so with all of the other injuries we had and having Frank Pritchard have to play through injury was just amazing. Even with how terribly we defended, it's still amazing to see us score so many points with so many blokes who are crucial to our attack missing. Our halves were very solid today, as were our backs. Amazingly Blair even had some great runs.

pantherz9103

First Grade
Good win with so many key players out. Jennings 3 tries and assist were vital to the win. Big wrap for Tia Kilifi for scoring the winning try and putting the hit on Hayne right at the end. Defence needs to improve big time on that game, but hopefully that game was just one of those rare points fests.

We will be depleted again against Souths, perhaps moreso but considering Souths form we have a good chance of winning.

mxlegend99

Referee
Was today the first time you have seen Tia Kilifi play? Cause it seems you don't attend the games but yet you know heaps about all the juniors coming through.
I've seen him play plenty of times, although the only time i had seen him play surrounded by first graders was when we had our trial match at Windsor last season.

That was the first time i had really taken any notice of him. Wasn't even sure what his name was until after that game. Most of the players had numbers doubled up on jerseys and we had several windsor/toyota cup players that i didn't recognise.

At any rate he looked great in first grade. I just hope that when Gordon and Daniela are fit he's not one of the blokes making room for them.

murraymob

Coach
will be a interesting side named Tuesday We are very low on troops.On the positive side pearn or blacket may get a run .As long as walsh graham aiton sammut play the key positions stay the same.I am hearing jennings is no certainity to be fit to play still playing injured .will depend when they want him to pass fitnes test

thommo4pm

Coach
If it wasn't already over, today was the end of Parra's season.
Pathetic against a side with so many players out....everything to play for and they decide not to tackle.
Penrith's defense wasn't much better, but they had a lot less regular first graders in the side than Parra.

thommo4pm

Coach
Souths next week will be a much harder game then the Eels were. Despite some average form and missing 2 players to State of Origin, the Panthers will be missing Michael Jennings, Frank Pritchard, Luke Lewis, Petero Civoniceva, Michael Gordon, Lachlan Coote, Masada Iosefa and we could possibly also be without Geoff Daniela, Shane Elford and Trent Waterhouse. So we're down at minimum 7 regular first grade players, and another 3 aren't certain to play with Elford and Daniela being injured, and Trent being another potential Origin player.

At any rate, i was just glad to see us win our first game without Luke Lewis. To do so with all of the other injuries we had and having Frank Pritchard have to play through injury was just amazing. Even with how terribly we defended, it's still amazing to see us score so many points with so many blokes who are crucial to our attack missing. Our halves were very solid today, as were our backs. Amazingly Blair even had some great runs.

I missed the last 20mins on tv, what's wrong with Waterhouse?
Or are you assuming he may get picked for Origin? I can't see that happening.

murraymob

Coach
I missed the last 20mins on tv, what's wrong with Waterhouse?
Or are you assuming he may get picked for Origin? I can't see that happening.

waterhouse is a big chance remember O donnell is injured gallen unlikly to be right .spots are opening up.We can cover losing pritchard but waterhouse would be hard

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Just had a look at the stats and i noticed that this game had the least amount of missed tackles this weekend. However, the missed tackles that were made were in crucial positions on the field.

mxlegend99

Referee
waterhouse is a big chance remember O donnell is injured gallen unlikly to be right .spots are opening up.We can cover losing pritchard but waterhouse would be hard
Yep. We could almost be down an entire starting side. Even an ordinary form Souths outfit would surely have to be able to beat the Panthers team without the following:

1. Lachlan Coote - Injured
2. Shane Elford - Injured
3. Michael Jennings - Origin
4. Geoff Daniela - Injured
5. Michael Gordon - Injured
8. Adam Woolnough - Injured
9. Masada Iosefa - Injured
10. Petero Civoniceva - Injured
11. Frank Pritchard - Injured
12. Trent Waterhouse - Origin
13. Luke Lewis - Injured

The players in red are pretty much certainties to miss out, while the blokes in green are strong possibilities at not being able to play. We're looking at missing between 8 and 11 players depending on how Elford and Daniela go with their injuries, and whether or not NSW decide to pick Trent Waterhouse.

Assuming all of the above miss out, our side will probably look like this:

1. Jarrod Sammut
2. Brad Tighe
3. Maurice Blair
4. Andrew Emilio
5. Junior Tia Kilifi
6. Wade Graham
7. Luke Walsh
8. Tim Grant
9. Paul Aiton
10. Frank Puletua
11. Gavin Cooper
12. Joseph Paulo
13. Nathan Smith

14. Joel Romelo
15. Matt Bell
16. Sam McKendry ?????
17. Daniel Penese / Junior Moors ????

Kilkenny

Coach
I've seen him play plenty of times, although the only time i had seen him play surrounded by first graders was when we had our trial match at Windsor last season.

That was the first time i had really taken any notice of him. Wasn't even sure what his name was until after that game. Most of the players had numbers doubled up on jerseys and we had several windsor/toyota cup players that i didn't recognise.

At any rate he looked great in first grade. I just hope that when Gordon and Daniela are fit he's not one of the blokes making room for them.

Michael Gordon when fit is an automatic selection in the top Panthers side.

Latest posts