What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st ODI: Australia v Pakistan at GABBA, Jan 13th 2017

TheParraboy

Staff member
Bailey and Finch dropped

Lynn, Stanlake added to squad

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia-v-pakistan-2016-17/content/story/1076042.html

Uncapped fast bowler Billy Stanlake and batsman Chris Lynn have been included in Australia's squad for the five ODIs against Pakistan, while experienced batsmen George Bailey and Aaron Finch have been axed.

"This is an extremely important series for us as, following it in a ODI context, we have the Chappell-Hadlee series in New Zealand and then, in mid-year, the ICC Champions Trophy, a tournament which we won in 2006 and 2009," Trevor Hohns, the interim head of selection, said. "We believe this squad is an exciting combination that covers all bases for us over the course of the five matches against Pakistan.

"Billy Stanlake is an exciting prospect who bowls with genuine pace and is a player who has made a terrific return to action for the Adelaide Strikers in the KFC Big Bash League after a lengthy time out through injury. Billy himself and the medical staff involved in his recovery have done a great job, he's back playing again and playing well and we believe that now is the right time to give him a chance to stretch himself.

"Chris Lynn is in superb form for the Brisbane Heat and although that is a different form of the game we believe it is right that we give him the chance to show whether he can convert his wonderful ball-striking ability to ODIs.

"Usman Khawaja has been in excellent touch throughout this Test summer, is able to bat anywhere in the top order and deserves another chance to demonstrate his ODI credentials.

"Both George Bailey and Aaron Finch have been prominent players in the ODI squad over the past few years but both of them have missed out on places in this squad.

"George has scored one fifty in his past 10 ODIs and, while his form has not been disastrous, it has not been to his usual standard so we have decided to look at younger players in the middle order in this instance. Aaron, across the past four series in the Caribbean, Sri Lanka, South Africa and the Chappell-Hadlee series, has scored four fifties in his last 18 innings. I have spoken to both players and they understand our perspective as selectors."

Squad Steven Smith (capt), David Warner, Pat Cummins, James Faulkner, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Usman Khawaja, Chris Lynn, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Billy Stanlake, Mitchell Starc, Matthew Wade, Adam Zampa.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Oozie been added as well.

Stanlake is a bit from left field, weird action tho

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Pakistan are ranked 8th in the world in ODIs, behind Bangladesh and just in front of the Windies.

Babar is their highest ranked batsman at 15 no other player is in the top 25.
Irfan is their highest ranked bowler at 19.
They are easily the worst fielding team in the world.

We should win 5 nil but stranger things have happened especially when it involves Pakistan.

Bazal

Post Whore
Oozie been added as well.

Stanlake is a bit from left field, weird action tho

I don't mind giving guys like Stanlake a go to see what they can do, but I don't particularly rate him if I'm honest. He's a pretty poor fielder particularly, which you can't carry in the modern game, but his bowling is hardly better than anyone else around and he's certainly not outstanding enough to represent Australia after only 13 top level domestic matches.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I reckon he needs a decent bowling coach, if he modified his action a bit and came more over the top, I reckon he could get movement both ways.

Bazal

Post Whore
The shit show picked over Uzi. Head to open. What sort of drugs are the selectors on and where can I get some?

Edit...source is CA app. Can't link on phone

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Irfan and Sarfraz have both flown home for personal reasons (death & illness of mothers).

I'm tipping 4/1 to us.

Incorrect

Coach
I was looking forward to seeing Mohammad Irfan play.... if for nothing else, just to get a look at the long levers of all long levers....

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
The shit show picked over Uzi. Head to open. What sort of drugs are the selectors on and where can I get some?

Edit...source is CA app. Can't link on phone

I'm guessing that firstly, they want to give Oozie a rest

Secondly, they want to give the No Show a run to see his form with possibly the intention of taking him to India.

tomdl

Bench
A one man tail. I'd bat Faulkner after Cummins and Starc if we did lose that many wickets. Faulkner is rubbish. I'd like to see Maxi out, Head to move down the order and Ussie to open in future.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I think that will happen once they have had a look at the No Show, true to form he will fail, and Oozie has a rest

Bazal

Post Whore
A one man tail. I'd bat Faulkner after Cummins and Starc if we did lose that many wickets. Faulkner is rubbish. I'd like to see Maxi out, Head to move down the order and Ussie to open in future.

Faulkner below Starc and Cummins? LMAO

Eelectrica

Referee
350+ for Australia? Looks like a belter and with that line up, if one or 2 players get on a roll, look out.
Final 10 overs of the innings could be brutal as fatigue sets in a bit for the bowlers. Energy sapping day.

Eelectrica

Referee
Great bowling from the Paki's. Warner gone for not much.
Damn Amir on a hat trick with Smithy now gone.
Good luck Chris Lynn. He wouldn't have expected to be coming in this situation. Great opportunity for him though.

Latest posts