What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 Test series- NZ v Pakistan

Iafeta

Referee
Still maintain it was the wrong approach. Always leaves far too much for the others who fell apart.

Meth

Staff member
I really thought we had blown it last night, but the last session was superb. Wagner again picks up wickets when it counts. Southee man of the match, but Wagner not at all far behind.

JJ

Immortal
The second new ball seemed to offer a bit more - it was a Wagner kind of wicket, but Southee was (finally) good (same can be said of Taylor) - really good series, they are a seriously good team - their preparation wasn't great, but touring is tough... people will differ on their view of rankings, but hard to argue against them being #2 given what they've done in recent years, and we beat them convincingly... given the let down against the Aussies last summer, this was a really good performance coming off the South African and Indian tours

Iafeta

Referee
They've got a very well balanced attack. If anything they lacked a bit of polish in their middle order. Younis Khan I felt showed signs of his age catching up in how delayed his decision making was, particularly to the short ball.

It will be interesting to see how the inexperienced Black Caps go on. Raval looks good but it seems to a good left armer he defends too wide of his off stump, de Grandhomme I'm still staggered took wickets because really he's gentle medium pace (and I fancy a compulsive hooker), Nicholls back foot is completely made of lead and never moves and he tries to use his hands to counteract poor balance, and Latham looks to be a good bat but with a genuine weakness of being LBW on a track with any pace as he plays right around his pad.

But 2-0 against them is a great effort. Taylor looks to be middling them again. Given Kane really never got going, it's an outstanding all around team effort. Nice to see Southee return to some kind of form too.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
how the f**k did the Pakis lose that ?

they were doing it so easy although I only saw the first session and a bit and the pitch was doing nothing

Iafeta

Referee
They were still a long way behind the going rate. I recall a NZ v Aus test at the Gabba, NZ were well in control. Then Lee and McGrath bowled bouncers and yorkers well wide of both off and leg stump and shut it down comfortably in the end. It's hard to get high run rates chasing over an extended period.

I think if the Pakistanis played more assertively earlier their middle order wouldn't have been under so much pressure. At one point Southee has figures of 11 overs, 0 for 11 and de Grandhomme 9 overs 0 for 10. De Grandhomme is gentle medium pace. At the very least tick the strike over.

JJ

Immortal
They always have a surprise in them, shouldn't have lost, tried to accelerate some dumb batting and good bowling. We kept at it which was great, really memorable series win that

Meth

Staff member
I never thought Pakistan were in it (to win it) or all that interested in chasing down the total tbh

Latest posts