What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 World Cup - Germany 4 England 1 - Round of 16

CC_Eagle

First Grade
*Equal play of the tournament?

Messi is expected to cut and slash defences, Ozil was barely known four weeks ago.

Finally a game with goals.

CC_Eagle

First Grade
Ozil, find of the World Cup for sure. I hope some English team picks him up so I can see him play more often.

Was heavily linked to Arsenal before a ball was even kicked. No doubt his asking price will now skyrocket.

fish eel

Immortal
wow, I just saw Wayne Rooney, didnt know he was there

Mario Gomez = one time highest ever Bundesliga transfer lol

Last edited:
England 4 - 1 down and they bring on heskey lol...like he will save them.
Scott McDonald > heskey...

English defense was a-leagueish. Actually worse

Where was Terry?..maybe thinking about which team mates wife to root.:shock:

Good riddance to roobish england and their italian coach.

Eddie.

Bench
Great credit to Germany. I said at the start of the WC they would be liberated by the absence of Ballack, and younger, quicker players would run the side. They outclassed, out skilled and out thought England there. Great display of passing and speed and movement. They looked dodgy at the back but it doesn't matter much when you can stick 4 in.

As for England, they were ordinary the whole WC really. Lack of pace, lack of creative players and plain to see a lack of belief. However the media should not be too savage. Players such as Johnson, Upson, Barry, Heskey, and co they are just not players good enough to do well in big international competitions. Then you have have hyped up skill players like Joe Cole and Wright Phillips that have never really had any substance in my opinion. Then their real star Rooney decides to stink out the WC and they were done and dusted then.

Looking forward to watching the Germans again. Very impressive.

Last edited:

Ridders

Coach
What a counter attacking clinic from Germany. Thought Schwiny was awesome. His MF partner Khedira was pretty good as well.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Germany's whole midfield was excellent. Really put England to shame in that department.

How players like Barry, Johnson and Upson get a start for England is beyond me. Capello should have played Dawson from the start in defense.

Red Bear

Referee
What a game last night. Germany in the end the better side, but would've been a completely different game had the legit Lampard goal stood. Going in at 2-2 at half time alot different to 2-1, and even in the second half when you arent chasing that equiliser you arent as open to the counter attack, as England ended up being.
John Terry should never be chosen for England again. Not only was he sh*thouse, he was a divisive personality in the squad and showed little respect towards the manager. **** him right off.
Gee that Ozil bloke is a gun. just needs to get rid of the diving from his game.
Englands lack of quality wide players costs them. Because they dont have good width they end up playing Gerrard out wide with 4 in the midfield and two up front. If they did have good wingers they could then put gerrard, Lampard and Barry in the centre and just play Rooney up front, and maybe they wouldnt get swamped as easily as they do. Still, the true elite of their squad, namely Rooney, Gerrard and Lampard were mostly sh*te (Cole was ok). Loss of Rio was underestimated.
I think if Capello had been in charge in 06 they would've been alot better, had a better squad then with alot of these players closer to their peak.

CC_Eagle

First Grade
England do have wide players though?

Walcott, SWP, Milner, Lennon, Joe Cole and to a lesser degree Wilshere, Moses etc. To incorporate the ego's of both Lampard and Gerrard, Capello has to play one of them out of position. Milner never looked fit enough imo. Maybe that "flu" had more of an affect than we heard.