What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Squad & Ideal Lineup

Darren Britt

Juniors
1. Ben Barba
2. Steve Turner
3. Josh Morris
4. Jonathan Wright
5. Michael Lett
6. Kris Keating
7. Trent Hodkinson
8. Aiden Tolman
9. Michael Ennis (c)
10. James Graham
11. Greg Eastwood
12. Frank Pritchard
13. Corey Payne

14. Mickey Paea
15. Sam Kasiano
16. Martin Taupau
17. Joel Romelo

Coach: Jim Dymock

Thought I might reevaluate my ideal squad given the amount of changes at the club. Taking into consideration the style of coaching Dessie will implement. For example, I don't think Dessie will tolerate a suspect fullback - i.e Barba. Looking at the squad and available players, best alternative to Barba I found was Michael Lett.
Kris Keating is a reluctant inclusion - there was no other alternative at 5/8.
Dropped dead weight in Stagg and Halatau - I don't think we will be seeing too much of them in 2012.

1. Michael Lett
2. Steve Turner
3. Josh Morris
4. Tim Lafai
5. Jonathan Wright
6. Kris Keating
7. Trent Hodkinson
8. Aiden Tolman
9. Michael Ennis (c)
10. James Graham
11. Dale Finucane
12. Frank Pritchard
13. Martin Taupau

14. Ben Barba
15. Sam Kasiano
16. James Gavet
17. Greg Eastwood

Coach: Des Hasler

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I am stunned that Barba is still considered a "suspect fullback".

True, certainly, around say, Round 18 or 20.

Not really true if you watch his form over the final 5-6 rounds of the competition.

You can also rest assured Des will be working with him to improve his form in the position, and his confidence particularly under the high ball.

MatthewA

Juniors
I guess it's time for me to do a little re-evaluation.

Here's the team I'd like to see in round 1. At least at this moment in time lol

01. Ben Barba - He'll be fullback. He isn't going to be moved from their and Des will do wonders for his confidence. He's going to have a great year.
02. Steve Turner - Probably our most consistent player in 2011. Turning into a real club man. Lots of hard work from dummy half, excellent finisher and isn't terrible in defence.
03. Josh Morris - Is his year to shine. Injuries were rough to him in 2011 but he's a world class centre. I'm tipping a huge year for him to stamp his mark as one of the top centres in the game because he has the attributes to be classed as one.
04. Tim Lafai - Can't wait to see how he goes with a full pre-season under his belt. He's a real star.
05. Bryson Goodwin - Kept him here purely because I think he's a player Des can turn around. He was excellent in 2009. He has good speed, good under the high ball when he wants to be and a good finisher. I'd like to see him cement his spot again.
06. Josh Reynolds - Really impressed with him for the last year or two now. Can play hooker or 5/8 but he's so aggressive, is great in support, very skilful. He has the makings of an excellent 5/8 and I think he needs to be given the shot.
07. Trent Hodkinson - Under Des it should be a big year for him. He was average in 2011 and he knows it. We don't have anyone else ready to step in and fill the #7 so he needs to shine. He has the skills to. We all remember 2010.
08. James Graham - I think having him start and interchanging him with Kasiano will be great for us. He can play 80 but for the first 4 or 5 rounds he needs to adapt to the game and the faster paced NRL, but we all know how good he is.
09. Michael Ennis - Captain, great player, will only get better under Hasler IMO.
10. Aiden Tolman - Should play longer minutes again but his stats were insane in 2011 and a break or 2 every match should keep him fresher and better for longer. He should have been in Origin.
11. Frank Pritchard - Touch and go, hey? Lets hope Hasler can work some magic because at times in 2011 he was unreal. But so inconsistent.
12. Greg Eastwood - Bad injury run the last couple of years, but to have a fully fit beast will be great. If he can get back to form it would be amazing for us. He's such a good player.
13. David Stagg - Getting on now and I wouldn't be surprised if he heads off to England at the end of the year but we all know he will consistently do everything right and make 50 tackles a match.
-
14. Martin Taupau - Absolutely training the house down. He's a mate of mine and he's been doing extras after training, training himself during their X-Mas break and is so so keen and happy as a Bulldog. He is the exact type of player we need in FG and he's such a good talent as well. He deserves his shot after captaining NYC for a couple of years and doing his trade in NSW Cup.
15. Sam Kasiano - If he can improve his fitness he will be so good. So damaging and skilful. Him and Taupau are the type of forwards that will mix so well with the consistent work horse no-nonsense types of Graham and Tolman.
16. Dene Halatau - Mr Fix-it Utility man. Really impressive in 2011 and deserves a spot on the bench.
17. Dale Finucane - Hard to choose between he and Josh Jackson but he's like Steve Price. Such a raw talent and if he can be given his chance I reckon he'll take it and I'd love to see him coming off the bench. Could add a whole other dimension to the back row and I wouldn't mind seeing him interchange with Stagg at lock to give Staggy a break during the match.

- Rest of the squad in alphabetical order
Tim Browne
Jake Foster
James Gavet
Josh Jackson
Michael Lett
Luke McDougall
Corey Payne
Josh Reynolds
Joel Romelo
Jonathan Wright

Packy

Bench
You completely left Kris Keating out :p but I suspect that you meant to have him on the bench instead of the 2nd Josh Reynolds.

I like your team though. I too think Goodwin has something to offer in our team.

I think Tim Browne is a must this year. He is so strong around the core and I really love watching him play.

Going to be unfortunate not to see Romelo and Payne in 1st grade.

I really can't wait to see what Des does with us. I reckon we'll have a few raised eyebrows come round 1.

Lol I wonder what's going through desies head right now, next season is going to be interesting.

I hope he gives our young guns a go; I like most of Mathews team^^, except I could really see Halatau at lock.

MatthewA

Juniors
Yeah, I forgot to add Keating to the rest of the squad instead of Reynolds lol

I had Keating at 5/8th to begin with but I think Reynolds is the best choice for that spot.

Darren Britt

Juniors
Yeah, I forgot to add Keating to the rest of the squad instead of Reynolds lol

I had Keating at 5/8th to begin with but I think Reynolds is the best choice for that spot.

With Hasler's discipline - I can see Reynolds filling in at 5/8. He has the makings of a solid 5/8.

coldchisel

Juniors
i think des will go for lett on the wing. lett provides most of what we
sorely need out wide...pace. i dont think lett has been given a fair opportunity
in the past either, especially compared to the mediocre at best Wright.

we have great depth overall and particularly in the forwards but i am more than surprised at people leaving stagg out of the side and calling for him to move on. do people forget that half the game is spent defending? he will be in the
team for sure.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Turner will be first choice, followed by Goodwin. Ennis indicated in 2010 that he will not take on the duty. Now that he's captain, that's something else that he doesn't need to worry about.

Packy

Bench
If Goodwin is in the team he will be 1st choice. If not, Turner. If Josh Reynolds cements a 1st grade spot somewhere I wouldn't be surprised to see him take it over.

coldchisel

Juniors
its a bit of a problem. goodwin probably wont be in the team and
turner misses some easy ones. perhaps barba?

Bulldog Force

Referee
Barba's a talented goal kicker. He could be an option. Regarding Goodwin, we don't know who will and won't be in the team yet. New coach = new lineup.

Last edited:

Whoosh

Juniors
I haven't seen either Heka Nanai or Daniel Rauicava's names anywher in relation to the 2012 squad. Have they been cut?

Darren Britt

Juniors
Side named for the trials:

1. Gerrard McCallum
2. Sam Ahofono
3. Ed Murphy
4. Josh Portlock
5. Daniel Abou-Sleiman
6. Chad Isles
7. Trent Cutler
8. Marty Taupau
9. Shane Pumipi
10. Tim Browne
11. Josh Jackson
12. Jake Foster
13. Dale Finucane
14. Kose Lelei
15. Dean McGlinchey
16. Karl McNicholl
17. Ratu Tagive
19. Jay Bonnell
20. Lionel O'Mally
21. Ray Moujalli
22. Tupou Sopoaga
23. Sterling Siejka
24. Lachlan Burr
25. Jake Finn
26. Junior Roquica
28. Harlan Alalaatoa
30. Steve Azzi

TOYOTA CUP
1. James O'Brien
2. Eddy El-Zbaidieh
3. Dylan Rintoul
4. Louis Mackenzie-Taylor
5. Jon Sila
6. Regan Verney
7. Jay Bonnell
8. Curtley Hope-Hodgetts
9. Dean Janda
10. Solo Alone
11. Danny Fualalo
12. Jordan Jammal
13. Blake Carter
14. Frederick Robinson
15. Pio Seci
16. James Ralphs
17. Matthew f**kof**ka
19. Michael Ioapo
20. Andrew Shipway
21. Moahoni Lelei
22. Alex Hull
23. Henry Ah Sam
24. Ryan Wilson
25. Joshua Rainbow
26. Wilson Faanoi
27. David Minute
28. Ben Stratton
29. Kava Utoikamanu
30. Jon Taefu

Good to see Dessie is taking a close look at the lower grades.

Last edited:

Packy

Bench
I disagree. If Goodwin plays, he should kick unless that toe is still an issue. It will not be Barba.

WIth regards to Nanai and Ruicava. Nanai is definitely gone. Unsure about Ruicava.

MatthewA

Juniors
Rauicava is gone as well.

But Turner will definitely be the kicker. He was even the kicker when Goodwin was in the team and recovered from the toe injury. I think they were just sick of changing and Turner isn't a terrible kicker, plus has been getting coached by Halligan. I think he'll get it.

Latest posts