What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 ODI WORLD CUP discussion thread

undertaker

Coach
Feels like they could condense this World Cup a lot more, you really don't need a 7 day break between one day cricket.

Yeah meant saturday. Oh well.

And yes they could condense it more. 9am/2:30pm starts really allows for multiple games per day more often than there has been.

I agree with both of the above. The ICC have really tried to stretch out the tournament to have matches on more days for ESPN/Star Sports, which in the same way with Ch10 and the Big Bash League. Multiple matches on the same day should've happened more.

I think the tournament is at least one week too long. With the multiple time zones involving the venues of this tournament, that could've easily been solved with more double headers. All those day games in NZ starting at 9am AEDT could've also had a day/night game in Australia on the same day, just like last Thursday. The game in NZ would be finished before the end of the 1st innings of the match in Australia.

Also, if the two matches in the same day overlapping with each other were an issue for the tv broadcasters and they were willing to have 2:30pm matches were being played in Perth, why not also have 2:30pm start times in Adelaide (3pm AEDT) and Brisbane (3:30pm. AEDT), hence the overlap between the matches in Australia and NZ is less?

Last edited:

TheParraboy

Staff member
forget 14, 16 or 10 teams in the world cup for 2019, what about 25 teams?

http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc-cricket-world-cup-2015/content/story/841887.html

The more ex and current big name legends of the game speak up about this, the more pressure something will be done about this ludicrous 10 team world cup in 2019

Sachin Tendulkar has called the ICC's decision to reduce the number of teams in the 2019 World Cup "a backward step" in the global expansion of cricket and described the lack of consistent matches available to Associate sides as "unfair".

Tendulkar, an ambassador for the World Cup on behalf of the ICC, told an audience at an exclusive dinner in Sydney that the ICC should instead be exploring ways to expand the next World Cup to as many as 25 teams.

He also suggested Full Member nations should regularly play their 'A' sides against Associates and strive to provide a "fair platform" for smaller cricketing countries.

"I found out the next World Cup would only be ten teams," said Tendulkar. "Which is slightly disappointing because as a cricketer I want the game to be globalised as much as possible and, according to me, this is a backwards step.

"We've got to find ways of encouraging the lesser teams."

Tendulkar also contradicted the views of ICC chief executive David Richardson, who defended the planned reduction of teams from 14 to 10, by suggesting, "The World Cup itself, the premium event, without exception should be played between teams that are evenly matched and competitive."

Richardson's statement has been widely challenged, with only one match so far between Full Member nations - New Zealand's one-wicket victory over Australia - considered to be competitive. In stark contrast, some of the matches between Associates have provided the most keenly fought contests, Ireland scored a notable result by defeating West Indies and Afghanistan capped off their remarkable rise in qualifying for the World Cup by overcoming Scotland in a final-over thriller.

"The lesser teams have, in each and every World Cup, they always surprise top teams," Tendulkar said. "And they can do it on a consistent basis only if they're given a fair platform to express their talent.

"Right now, they get up after four years on the cricket world's biggest platform and they're expected to play and compete with the likes of Australia, South Africa, India, New Zealand, West Indies, Sri Lanka, so many top sides. It's unfair to them."

Since the 2011 World Cup, Ireland has played only 11 ODIs against Full Member nations and their captain William Porterfield has been joined by his Scotland counterpart - Preston Mommsen - as well as a host of players and officials from both Associate and Full Member sides, in calling for a "level playing field".

An online petition asking the ICC to reverse the decision to cut the number of World Cup teams has, at the time of writing, gathered more than 15,000 signatures.

Tendulkar said he believes cricket's global fan base will only grow if the Associates improve to the level where they can be consistently competitive and he believes the first step is to schedule regular matches against second-string sides from the Full Members nations.

"Why not get Australia A, England A, New Zealand A, South Africa A, New Zealand A, India A, everyone, to go and visit these countries and play them on a regular basis," Tendulkar said. "And see, not just 14 teams, but how can we get to 25 teams participating in the next World Cup?"

"It is not just about the top six or seven sides. If we are to globalise this game we have to get more and more people excited about cricket and the fan following only follows the result.

"If the results are good then you have more fans, so it's important that they play good cricket consistently for a longer period, not just one good performance and then suddenly they go underground for four years and then turn up if they do well in those qualifying rounds.

"So I would say it's something the ICC needs to look into and I hope they look into it."

While calling for an expansion of the World Cup, Tendulkar also spoke about his concerns for the 50-over format and said he had suggested to the ICC about splitting ODIs into two 25-over innings.

"I think Test cricket definitely will survive and T20 is definitely going to survive," he said. "There is a big question mark over one-day cricket because I think it is getting monotonous. I have sort of casually suggested to the ICC that they need to look at the format. Can we change the format a little bit so that it's not predictable?

"Right now when it comes to batting from the 15th over onwards to the 35th over you know exactly how the batters are going to bat and that is something that is possibly boring the spectators.

"Can we change that? Can we look to introduce something that is not quite as predictable, which is slightly out of the box?"

Tendulkar proposed a split-innings format, which he said could encourage more exciting matches and fairer results when games were interrupted by rain. It is the type of format that was trialled during the 2010-11 Australian domestic season when the 45-over Ryobi Cup was split into two innings although the experiment only lasted one season after it was determined the international game would remain at 50 overs.

"I suggested that it be 25 overs and then the other side comes in and they bat 25 overs and then you go back again and bat 25 overs and then you finish the game with 25 overs but in the entire match you have only ten wickets," he said.

"I felt there was a huge disadvantage in certain venues when the sides had to go in second because there is so much dew. Spinners are virtually out of the game and fast bowlers don't get any movement.

"They're bowling straight and the batters are thinking, well, where am I going to hit the next boundary? The game doesn't go ahead like this. We need to find the right balance."

"It just adds to the excitement, whether you want to lose seven wickets in the first 25 overs and score 270 runs because it's going to rain later, or have wickets in hand because later on there's going to be dew and batting's going to be easy and you can attack the bowlers."

When asked about the reaction of the ICC, Tendulkar replied, "They haven't reacted. I'm still waiting."

Not sure about splitting the 50 over game into two 25 over innings

Keep the format, but play less of the game eg cull 7 game series into 3 , no stand alone ODIs (unless against minnows) always play them after a test series

Last edited:

vvvrulz

Coach
Not sure about splitting the 50 over game into two 25 over innings

Keep the format, but play less of the game eg cull 7 game series into 3 , no stand alone ODIs (unless against minnows) always play them after a test series

Exactly, when are these guys going to realize there is *nothing wrong* with the 50 over game itself. In fact it got along perfectly fine without powerplays and free hits as well. So what if teams want to accumulate during overs 15-35.... an entire test match is usually all about accumulation! What's happened to everyone's attention span? (thanks T20).

Two 25 over innings would so disruptive, it would basically become two T20 games lumped together.

Parraboy is right about playing less ODIs so it's not so diluted, the other thing it needs to do is bring bowlers back into the equation. 300 these days is minimum and we're going to see 500 cracked soon. It's just become silly.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I've played the 2 25 over games and they suck, especially if you're an all rounder.

If you're batting you have to make 2 starts and you can lose momentum, same with the bowlers, they have to warm up all over again.

Nothing wrong with the current format.

vvvrulz

Coach
Cricket Max down here tried the 10-10-10-10 format.
Didn't work, in fact was usually a real bore.

hellteam

First Grade
50 overs is way better than 20/20, you get to watch for the whole day, and actually have a chance to recover the game if you have a bad start.

vvvrulz

Coach
50 overs is way better than 20/20, you get to watch for the whole day, and actually have a chance to recover the game if you have a bad start.

This.

And I've seen my fair share of extremely dull T20 games.
Watching sixes get whacked all day isn't all that great

jargan83

Coach
I remember when Cricket Australia trialled the 25/20 (or was it the other way around) format a few years ago and it was the worst thing I've seen on a Cricket field. As Twizzle mentioned, batsman often have to make two starts, bowlers will cool down and have get warmed up again.

This.

And I've seen my fair share of extremely dull T20 games.
Watching sixes get whacked all day isn't all that great

Somewhere along the line Cricket administrators got in their head that Cricket isn't entertaining when the ball isn't flying to the boundary.

The only thing wrong with ODI Cricket is that there is too much of it played.

JJ

Immortal
yeah, too many meaningless ODIs, and too much of the "big 3" playing each other in all formats... 20:20 is just rubbish, at least the 50 over cricket has some room for skill.

Thoroughly enjoying the WC and the broader involvement - only thing that worries me is the knockouts, I don't think they've got that quite right - they want to make $$ so have 8 teams, but that means 2-4 will have been ordinary - I'd prefer top 4, if the top 2 teams in each group were there, we'd genuinely have the 4 best teams in with a show... either that, or some carry over of points... and perhaps a best of 3 grand final, as Crowe has recently suggested

undertaker

Coach
I remember when Cricket Australia trialled the 25/20 (or was it the other way around) format a few years ago and it was the worst thing I've seen on a Cricket field. As Twizzle mentioned, batsman often have to make two starts, bowlers will cool down and have get warmed up again.

That was the inaugural season of the Ryobi Cup in 2010/11:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010–11_Ryobi_One-Day_Cup

It was 45 overs per side divided into two innings of 20 and 25 overs respectively. It turned out to be a complete utter flop, and reverted back to the 50 over format in 2011/12.

undertaker

Coach
I've played the 2 25 over games and they suck, especially if you're an all rounder.

If you're batting you have to make 2 starts and you can lose momentum, same with the bowlers, they have to warm up all over again.

Nothing wrong with the current format.

2 25 over innings will take even longer to complete than the already long 50 over format. No thanks.

In the UK, I believe the domestic List A format is 40 overs/side. How do you feel about that?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
The poms were trying to do away with having a 50 over comp and T/20 comp so they tried a hybrid and it was a dud

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Weather could play a factor in pool B. Showers due for the South Africa/UAE math. Would think they'll still get a game in, but that would be a hell of a spanner in the works.

Likewise the Windies are facing a rainy day for their must win game against the UAE.

undertaker

Coach
Weather could play a factor in pool B. Showers due for the South Africa/UAE math. Would think they'll still get a game in, but that would be a hell of a spanner in the works.

Likewise the Windies are facing a rainy day for their must win game against the UAE.

Not to mention the Windies will have had a 9 day layoff between that UAE match and their previous match vs India.....

...and that's been the problem with this tournament. Even factoring in the travel across different time zones, these regular 6-7 day turnarounds teams have been getting in this tournament is way too long, and hence the duration of this tournament has dragged at least another 1-2 weeks than it should. This is not a contact sport like Rugby League where anything beyond 2 matches in a week is physically taxing and running the risk of serious injuries. Cricket is a sport where you are physically capable of playing about 3-5 ODIs in a week. Teams in this World Cup should've been playing matches, on average, about every 3-5 days, rather than having 7-9 day turnarounds.

Edit: I just had a look at the 1992 World Cup in Australia and NZ. In that tournament, Australia had one 3-day gap, one 6-day gap, and the rest were 4-day gaps between matches (and they played at all the same venues as they did in this tournament, even Eden Park in NZ).

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
and on the topic of the potential inclement weather affecting the South Africa/UAE match

http://www.weatherzone.co.nz/north-island/wellington

If that happened, oh boy...just when the media was excited after Sunday's win vs Sri Lanka about Australia avoiding a Q/F match against South Africa, it's now all of a sudden back on the cards.

Another scenario I posted on another thread which may still lead to an Australia vs South Africa Q/F

Australia's Net Run Rate (NRR) is approximately +1.74 ahead of Sri Lanka. If Sri Lanka scores a big win against Scotland to overcome this NRR deficit, and Australia's match against Scotland is washed out, Sri Lanka will end up on equal points with Australia and have a higher NRR, hence pushing Australia to 3rd. I don't know how much Sri Lanka will have to win by to gain +1.75 in their NRR, but it is definitely achievable and furthermore, possible.

Weather forecast for Australia's game on Saturday doesn't look promising at the moment.

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/tas/lower-derwent/hobart

The weather was going to come into play at the host venues in cooler climates during March.

Last edited: