What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 Origin II - QLD 26-16 NSW @ Suncorp

Origin II 2016: Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

forward pass

Coach
Jennings possibly the worst solo origin performance since Justin Hodges' debut.

I don't get why people are defending him saying he didn't know Frizell was behind him. He still knocked on, the ball was just there and no pressure on him

I don't agree. When the ball is loose in the in goal area, you have to dive on it quickly because a defender is ready to kick it dead. He had no time to think, was lying flat on the ground, he reached, he just didn't quite get there. That happens.

Having said that - he had a shocking game.

Last edited:

forward pass

Coach
Also - I think Walker is worth persisting with. He pretty much held his own - GI did not score. He just had absolutely no opportunities.

MilkShark

First Grade
The Nine commentary was as bad as I've ever heard - unprofessional, biased and sloppy. I had to mute the broadcast.

That was Fatty. Some of the things he was saying was so far biased that it was incorrect, like the tackle on Thurston that was ''late and high''.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Jennings possibly the worst solo origin performance since Justin Hodges' debut.

I don't get why people are defending him saying he didn't know Frizell was behind him. He still knocked on, the ball was just there and no pressure on him

Well when you see a loose ball THAT IS IN MOTION in the en goal area and all you have to do is dive on it to score, you dont look back. Your eyes stay focused on that ball only, especially if theres nothing else in sight.

If the ball was STATIONARY then you might take a peep but thats only at anyone that comes into your peripherals, not behind you.

Jennings didnt know Frizell was behind him.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Also - I think Walker is worth persisting with. He pretty much held his own - GI did not score. He just had absolutely no opportunities.

Surprisingly so. Walker just rushed up and made a good ball and all tackles split second after Inglis got it so he did really well.

Thing is QLD might look at that as an oppertunity. Inglis is a handful with the ball but can make for a very magnetic decoy! Also possible chips behind Walkers rushing up?

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach
after 1 series win in 11, i think it's long past keeping criticism in-house. the idiots at NSWRL want to maintain their own empire and the status quo. it doesn't lend for a re-assessment of how things are done. it's about time NSW origin has been publicly called out, even though Gould has done it in his herald column for the last few series. anything spoken from the horses mouth has much more of an impact though.

with regard to players, it's what's been said by many NSWman on here for several years now. The only deniers are Cronulla fans for Gallen, Tigers fans for Farah.

and what ifs re game incidents are just that. history and fact show that this QLD team always find a way to win against this NSW team.

I agree with this. After losing 9 out of 10 series I expect NSW to be far more desperate and do whatever it takes to win but its just same as the the year before. NSW apologists will trot out the "QLD are just too good" excuse but it doesn't wash anymore. Inglis is in career worst form, there is no Billy Slater anymore, no Civoneceva, no Hodges, no Lockyer.

Gould is 100% correct, there is no leadership, no game plan, no belief. The NSW culture is shit from top to bottom.

Game_Breaker

Coach
Well when you see a loose ball THAT IS IN MOTION in the en goal area and all you have to do is dive on it to score, you dont look back. Your eyes stay focused on that ball only, especially if theres nothing else in sight.

If the ball was STATIONARY then you might take a peep but thats only at anyone that comes into your peripherals, not behind you.

Jennings didnt know Frizell was behind him.

Forget about Frizell
The ball was moving slower than Justin O'Neill chasing Maloney, he should've scored himself

T.T

Juniors

I'm not convinced. The Oates try was because he came in.

Also Walker in attack didn't trouble GI once. Jack Bird on the other hand burned him when he came on.. Heck even Mitchell Moses destroyed Inglis last week lol.

The following article was published earlier on the Sydney Morning Herald's website -

State of Origin 2016: NSW Blues have the wrong culture - and the wrong leaders

Date: June 23, 2016 - 9:33AM
by Phil Gould
League Columnist

New South Wales tried hard. They always try hard. No one can ever question their physical efforts.

However, they were beaten again, not so much by a better team, but by players who just know more about winning.

For the majority of last night's State of Origin encounter, the Blues were going much better than Queensland. You could feel them getting on top of their opponents on several occasions throughout the contest.

The problem is that every time NSW looked to be gaining the upper hand, they either shot themselves in the foot with a silly error, or they had the momentum taken away from them by one of the great generals in the Queensland team.

I don't know how many times over the past decade Blues fans have walked away from a losing Origin match and bemoaned to themselves, "If only we had Johnathan Thurston playing for us, we would've won that game".

Again last night, when the game was in the balance, the leadership of Thurston, Cooper Cronk and Cameron Smith produced the big plays for the big moments that ultimately determined the final result.

They own this Queensland team. They own its culture, its direction, its character and its results.

Mind you, they couldn't win these games on their own. Origin is a team game. They have a loyal, committed and courageous team of foot-soldiers around them. It's a tenacious, never-say-die band of brothers who give selflessly to the common cause.

They all have simple jobs and they execute their roles to the best of their ability regardless of pain, injury, fatigue or setback.

The key here though is that these workers trust their leaders implicitly. They never question a command, second-guess an instruction, argue a decision or seek to be more important within the team than the role they have been given.

The generals, Thurston, Cronk and Smith, appreciate their workers. They love them. They treat them with respect. They act as though they are forever grateful for the body of pain-staking work they produce.

However, when the big moments come around, it's the generals who take on the responsibility of giving their team direction, purpose and creativity.

They know where and how they can accumulate their points.

They dissect the NSW defensive line almost at will, whenever it's needed.

They point their teammates in the right direction and the workers respond with everything they have to give.

In game one of this series they soon worked out they only needed six points to win. Last night they produced three brilliant second half tries, all when NSW were starting to get too close on the scoreboard.

If Queensland needed two more tries to win, somehow I think they would've got them.

The fact that these leaders are also the playmakers within this team makes Queensland the championship team it has become.

NSW cannot match Queensland in this regard. For far too long now, NSW has been inhibited by a situation where its playmakers unfortunately play second fiddle to others within the team. The balance of power has been with the wrong people.

As a result, over the past decade, the Blues have not been able to generate a long-standing playmaker group that can consistently win them matches at this elite level.

Leadership has been in the wrong hands. It's been the wrong style of leadership, thus producing the wrong kind of culture. I'm not saying this after the event. I've been saying it consistently for the past six or seven series.

Don't get me wrong, I admire their output of work. They are tenacious workers in their own right. But thats what they are; just workers. They should never be the team leaders.

NSW had Queensland beaten on three or four occasions last night. They just couldn't reflect that on the scoreboard.

The emerging Blues players are almost ready to beat this Queensland team. They just need time in the middle and some self belief. They need to be given ownership of the campaign. Unfortunately this team will never realise it's true potential until it removes the players who have shown us year after year, that they can't beat Queensland.

The Blues were very brave. They can be proud of their efforts. However, Origin football is only about the final result. That's all they engrave on the winner's shield; the team that won.

Again it was Queensland.

They were too good on the night.

If you didn't hear what he said on the Channel 9 coverage after the game, the ABC have a short 1 minute (approx.) length video you can view here.

butchmcdick

Immortal
State of Origin: Paul Gallen should be dropped for game three, says Steve Mortimer
By Jennifer Browning
Updated 10 minutes ago

Paul Gallen looks sad
PHOTO: Paul Gallen's place in the Blues team for game three is in dispute. (AAP Image: Dave Hunt)
RELATED STORY: Phil Gould hammers 'selfish' NSW leadership group after Origin lossRELATED STORY: Gagai bags hat-trick as Queensland conquers the Blues again
MAP: Sydney 2000
Laurie Daley says Paul Gallen will be picked for game three, but former New South Wales Captain Steve Mortimer has suggested it might be time for current skipper Paul Gallen to move on and make way for a new era at the Blues.

The team arrived back in Sydney this afternoon after suffering a tenth series loss in 11 years and Gallen did not stop to talk to the waiting media.

With the series already lost, Mortimer said he wants to see a different side run out in the final match of the series.

"There's one game to go and never has there been an opportunity to bring some young players into the fold, just like Queensland did 12 years ago," he said.

"I guess that might be our Captain, other players as well because it's not going to make a difference now."

Game three in Sydney is set to be Gallen's farewell in the Blues jersey after declaring this year would be his last State of Origin series.

Coach Daley said at this stage he still plans to pick the captain to play in game three.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and if he's (Gallen) fit he'll be there," Daley said.
Mortimer backs Gould's calls for overhaul

But Mortimer believes it is the perfect time to make a change.

"If I was a selector I'd be looking to the future," he said.

"It's no disrespect to Paul Gallen, I think the world of him as a bloke and a player but we haven't won it this year so next year, it's about planning for that, so why not make the third game a starting plan for 2017.

Gallen led New South Wales to a drought-breaking series victory in 2014 and Wednesday night was his 15th game in charge of the Blues.

Mortimer's comments come after the team's most successful coach Phil Gould accused senior players of being selfish.

"I have been astonished by the selfishness around this camp and around this team and in the leadership group and I don't think it has allowed the team to evolve," Gould said after the loss.

Mortimer agreed.

"I think Gus (Phil Gould) has a good point there, I think we have to be looking forward to getting young players that we know can do it and be successful," he added.
Despite calls for the Daley to make changes for next month's game, he says he won't be using the match as a chance to experiment with new talent,

"For us it's about picking the best team, there's no such thing as a dead rubber in origin," Daley said.

One change he might be forced to make is halfback Adam Reynolds who is set to miss the game with a shoulder injury.

Reynolds said he hopes it doesn't rule him out for too long.

"It feels pretty good at the moment. It's not feeling like a season-ending injury. I'll hopefully get some good news."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-23/daley-says-he-will-pick-gallen-for-game-three/7538886

I guess that's that then

THE CHAMP

First Grade
I would like to start by thanking everyone for their contributions to this thread. It has been truly epic. Up there with the "chick djing on the footy show" thread.

Some of the whinging in here regarding the refs has been just shithouse. The penalty count at half time was 5-4 qld ffs.
The bitching about vautins commentary was absolutely delicious. In qld we have been putting up with bias commentators for decades so you can all just piss off on that one.
Sam Thaiday had a great game apart from the gallen tackle. It's so obvious why our smaller southern cousins hate him so much. He's just too good. His hit on klemmer right before half time was massive.

Nsw need to pick the best young side possible for game 3 and keep picking them. Frizzel and J bird are keepers and should both play 30 origins. Maloney started great but fell away badly and moylan is one of the most over rated players I have ever seen.

Great game and another great win qld loved every second of it.

Last edited:

Knightmare

Coach
The following article was published earlier on the Sydney Morning Herald's website -

If you didn't hear what he said on the Channel 9 coverage after the game, the ABC have a short 1 minute (approx.) length video you can view here.

As a commentator, I have little doubt that if Jennings hadn't thrown a wayward pass that was intercepted and had managed to ground the football in-goal, Gus "weathervane" Gould would be singing a different tune right now. Most likely he'd instead be praising the likes of Jack Bird and Tyson Frizzell for their debut efforts and talking about how he thought NSW had gone up a level since Game 1 and were now poised to claim the series in Sydney.

Saying that, much of what he actually says is on-point. The Under 18's have won the series again and there have been some solid showings from Blues players making their debut this series- with a game still to go. There needs to be a clean out with the selectors and coaching staff before a potentially great nucleus is ruined by the losing culture that's sunk in, all for the sake of people protecting their egos. Bozo, Gal, Greg Bird and Farah make me think of that quote from Warren Ryan: "All the juice has been squeezed out of the lemon". Laurie should join them. Nice guy, you'd be hard-pressed to find a hater- but he doesn't have what it takes to be coaching the best team of NRL players in NSW. You either have it or you don't. No shame in admitting it. Others have suggested Gus as selector, Freddy coaching (a Gus protege with a better coaching record than Daley) and Joey/ Toovey as assistant coaches. That looks superior to how it currently stands. Ideally, the clear-out should happen between now and Game 3, or straight after. The changes necessary need to be death with ASAP to give NSW a running start.

Last edited:

ed-grimley

Bench
I would like to start by thanking everyone for their contributions to this thread. It has been truly epic. Up there with the "chick djing on the footy show" thread.

Some of the whinging in here regarding the refs has been just shithouse. The penalty count at half time was 5-4 qld ffs.
The bitching about vautins commentary was absolutely delicious. In qld we have been putting up with bias commentators for decades so you can all just piss off on that one.
Sam Thaiday had a great game apart from the gallen tackle. It's so obvious why our smaller southern cousins hate him so much. He's just too good. His hit on klemmer right before half time was massive.

Nsw need to pick the best young side possible for game 3 and keep picking them. Frizzel and J bird are keepers and should both play 30 origins. Maloney started great but fell away badly and moylan is one of the most over rated players I have ever seen.

Great game and another great win qld loved every second of it.
It's "biased" dude. Write it out 100 times.