What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 Origin II - QLD 26-16 NSW @ Suncorp

Origin II 2016: Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Penrose_11

Juniors
Tedesco at fullback, Cartwright starting on the right edge and Peats at hooker would be my 3 big changes and then build your team around that. For Cartwright to be effective, he can't come off the bench in 10-15 minute spurts. Give him 80 minutes and bring his ball playing into game thought.

Build your team around skill and speed. Not cheap shots and thug plays. Use the speed and skill of the form players.

Tedesco
Ferguson
Bird
Dugan
Mansour
Maloney
Reynolds
Gallen
Peats
Klemer
Cordaner
Cartwright
Graham

Moylan
Fifita
R James
Frizzel

Goodbye to:
Woods, G Bird, Farah, Jennings, Tamou

Craigshark

First Grade
You will cause a riot in here with your common sense.

Common sense? Did you watch the same game? Did you not see him throw a shit pass that led to QLD's first try. Did you not see him rush up in defence which led to their second? try?

Not to mention he bombed to genuine tries for NSW and the bloke hasn't done anything remarkable to deserve his place in the team for years. Of course he deserves criticism. He's shit.

MilkShark

First Grade
Common sense? Did you watch the same game? Did you not see him throw a shit pass that led to QLD's first try. Did you not see him rush up in defence which led to their second? try?

Not to mention he bombed to genuine tries for NSW and the bloke hasn't done anything remarkable to deserve his place in the team for years. Of course he deserves criticism. He's shit.

I think you need to take a chill pill mate, you see very aggravated this morning.

I was agreeing that Jennings didn't know Frizzel was behind him when he knocked the ball.

Go have a coffee and relax mate.

butchmcdick

Immortal
Former New South Wales State of Origin coach Phil Gould has taken a swipe at the Blues' leadership after Wednesday's series-deciding 26-16 loss to Queensland.
Gould could only really have been firing shots at captain Paul Gallen as he absolved coach Laurie Daley, but did not say if he thought the problems were higher than the coach.
After the game, Gould railed against the "selfish" and "domineering" nature of NSW's leadership group over the past few years.
As it happened: Maroons win Origin II

Look back at how Queensland's series-clinching 26-16 victory unfolded in our State Of Origin II live blog.

"I've been astonished by the selfishness around this camp and around this team and in the leadership group," he said on the Nine Network's post-match show.
"I don't think it's allowed the team to evolve and have its own culture and chemistry. It's been all about a few individuals and not about the state and the team."
The criticism came alongside praise of the ability of five-eighth Johnathan Thurston, half-back Cooper Cronk and Queensland captain Cameron Smith, who Andrew Johns labelled the best player he had seen since Wally Lewis.
Smith, Thurston and Cronk led Queensland brilliantly at Lang Park, sharing playmaking duties and not allowing NSW's comeback attempts to gather steam, something the Blues look incapable of emulating, according to Gould.
"We've never given our playmakers ownership of the team and it's a point I've been making for six or seven years is that the leadership of the team is in the wrong hands," he said.
"I think that's why we haven't cultivated our own playmaker group."
'The wrong people' take over: Gould

Johns said he did not see anyone who could grab the game by the scruff of the neck "and say come with me. I don't see it from anyone". And Gould agreed wholeheartedly.
"When the Blues need a try you just don't feel there's anyone that's going to take ownership of that, or the wrong people take ownership of that," he said.
Photo: It is not out of character for Phil Gould to criticise Gallen. (Matt King, file photo: Getty Images)
"And that's really been governing NSW's performances for some time."
It is not out of character for Gould to criticise Gallen, who on Wednesday equalled Danny Buderus' record for the most games as NSW skipper with 15.
Last year, while Gallen was injured and had missed the Blues' loss in game one of the 2015 series, Gould took aim, saying he did not understand why it was a foregone conclusion that the Sharks veteran would return.
He even went so far as to imply Gallen was done as a Blue.
"He has done his job for NSW, he has done his job," Gould said.
Gallen, who has since announced 2016 will be his final year as an Origin player, has also been accused of chasing statistics in the past, opting for big hit-ups at the wrong times.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-...-hammers-selfish-nsw-leadership-group/7535116

Good to see NSW still tearing itself apart

But for a few Jennings errors NSW win that game

big hit!

Bench

Two QLD tries were on him, no doubt.

Cant be blamed for not scoring the NSW tries though. It was his pressure that made those chance possible for FFS!

On the first, he speed to get towards the ball put pressure on Gillett who fumbled it backwards, and kept the play alive. Ball was rolling towards the dead ball line and he had to make a play. Tell me any player who would allow it to keep rolling in the hope another player behind him was in position to score too?

On the second, he got to the ball first in a contest. Once again, his speed and positioning put QLD under pressure on that play.

Jennings had a dirty night. Those plays didn't fall for him. On another night, they would have. That's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. I wouldn't dump him. Still a dangerous player. The only discipline from the coaches would be for rushing out of the line and grabbing no one. He thought O'Neil would get the ball but he gambled wrong. On the whole he wore O'Neill like a glove.

The bad
The jennings try bomb was not really his fault , he couldnt have seen Frzzel coming up behind him. However his reads in defence and his pass lol to Gagai was very poor..
Tamou is a joke ... 4 runs ? - not good enough
Gallen - if not captain he would not be in the side on Origin form .. He has been great for the sharks but tries to do way to much in origin.
Moylan - overated as f**k
Farah - was awful as usual in origin , Ennis should have been picked on form
Fergo- apart from his almost try saver did zero else
The good
Reynolds was a lot better this game and if not injured should be picked again
Maloney - very good game , strong in attack and good in defence
Frizzel- blinder for a debut.. honestly thought he wasnt that great a player but he really did well
Jackson - massive in defence .. average in attack
J Bird.. great debut and out played both starting centres in his 20mins on field
The ok
Bird- average , was injured though
Woods - average
Mansour- ok game

Daley... not the greatest coach but if your team is not great its hard to look good no mater how sound your game plan is.

Gus goulds and Johns comments after the game very pretty ordinary even if spot on , no point hanging your team out to dry when they put in a poor performance . Should be done behind closed doors , there is no benefit saying they arent good enough in the media and not give any solution.
How about these two get involved and help the Blues ? Saying they are crap but offering no solution is counter productive

big hit!

Bench
Former New South Wales State of Origin coach Phil Gould has taken a swipe at the Blues' leadership after Wednesday's series-deciding 26-16 loss to Queensland.
Gould could only really have been firing shots at captain Paul Gallen as he absolved coach Laurie Daley, but did not say if he thought the problems were higher than the coach.
After the game, Gould railed against the "selfish" and "domineering" nature of NSW's leadership group over the past few years.
As it happened: Maroons win Origin II

Look back at how Queensland's series-clinching 26-16 victory unfolded in our State Of Origin II live blog.

"I've been astonished by the selfishness around this camp and around this team and in the leadership group," he said on the Nine Network's post-match show.
"I don't think it's allowed the team to evolve and have its own culture and chemistry. It's been all about a few individuals and not about the state and the team."
The criticism came alongside praise of the ability of five-eighth Johnathan Thurston, half-back Cooper Cronk and Queensland captain Cameron Smith, who Andrew Johns labelled the best player he had seen since Wally Lewis.
Smith, Thurston and Cronk led Queensland brilliantly at Lang Park, sharing playmaking duties and not allowing NSW's comeback attempts to gather steam, something the Blues look incapable of emulating, according to Gould.
"We've never given our playmakers ownership of the team and it's a point I've been making for six or seven years is that the leadership of the team is in the wrong hands," he said.
"I think that's why we haven't cultivated our own playmaker group."
'The wrong people' take over: Gould

Johns said he did not see anyone who could grab the game by the scruff of the neck "and say come with me. I don't see it from anyone". And Gould agreed wholeheartedly.
"When the Blues need a try you just don't feel there's anyone that's going to take ownership of that, or the wrong people take ownership of that," he said.
Photo: It is not out of character for Phil Gould to criticise Gallen. (Matt King, file photo: Getty Images)
"And that's really been governing NSW's performances for some time."
It is not out of character for Gould to criticise Gallen, who on Wednesday equalled Danny Buderus' record for the most games as NSW skipper with 15.
Last year, while Gallen was injured and had missed the Blues' loss in game one of the 2015 series, Gould took aim, saying he did not understand why it was a foregone conclusion that the Sharks veteran would return.
He even went so far as to imply Gallen was done as a Blue.
"He has done his job for NSW, he has done his job," Gould said.
Gallen, who has since announced 2016 will be his final year as an Origin player, has also been accused of chasing statistics in the past, opting for big hit-ups at the wrong times.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-...-hammers-selfish-nsw-leadership-group/7535116

Good to see NSW still tearing itself apart

But for a few Jennings errors NSW win that game

after 1 series win in 11, i think it's long past keeping criticism in-house. the idiots at NSWRL want to maintain their own empire and the status quo. it doesn't lend for a re-assessment of how things are done. it's about time NSW origin has been publicly called out, even though Gould has done it in his herald column for the last few series. anything spoken from the horses mouth has much more of an impact though.

with regard to players, it's what's been said by many NSWman on here for several years now. The only deniers are Cronulla fans for Gallen, Tigers fans for Farah.

and what ifs re game incidents are just that. history and fact show that this QLD team always find a way to win against this NSW team.

Last edited:

Scotty003

Juniors
The bad
The jennings try bomb was not really his fault , he couldnt have seen Frzzel coming up behind him. However his reads in defence and his pass lol to Gagai was very poor..
Tamou is a joke ... 4 runs ? - not good enough
Gallen - if not captain he would not be in the side on Origin form .. He has been great for the sharks but tries to do way to much in origin.
Moylan - overated as f**k
Farah - was awful as usual in origin , Ennis should have been picked on form
Fergo- apart from his almost try saver did zero else
The good
Reynolds was a lot better this game and if not injured should be picked again
Maloney - very good game , strong in attack and good in defence
Frizzel- blinder for a debut.. honestly thought he wasnt that great a player but he really did well
Jackson - massive in defence .. average in attack
J Bird.. great debut and out played both starting centres in his 20mins on field
The ok
Bird- average , was injured though
Woods - average
Mansour- ok game

Daley... not the greatest coach but if your team is not great its hard to look good no mater how sound your game plan is.

Gus goulds and Johns comments after the game very pretty ordinary even if spot on , no point hanging your team out to dry when they put in a poor performance . Should be done behind closed doors , there is no benefit saying they arent good enough in the media and not give any solution.
How about these two get involved and help the Blues ? Saying they are crap but offering no solution is counter productive

Agree with a lot of your comments bar a few;

Don't think Moylan is overrated. A lot of people compare him to Tedesco but he's a completely different (and better imo) player than him. I thought Moylan did his job well and didn't have a lot to work with in terms of offloads from our forwards, edge overlaps etc. He broke them a couple of times, threw a few cutout passes and had a couple neat kicks (one nearly led to a try if Jennings held the ball.) Def a player for the future - just remember it's his 2nd origin game.

Reynolds was horrible. He can kick - whoop di doo. Zero passing game and doesn't have the nuts to lead this group around.

Bird is the overrated one. Seriously, what does this guy offer except a cry when he drops the ball?

Woods was the better of our front row I thought, but again needs a partner in crime that goes with him. Tamou was lost and Gallen can't stay out of the way.

Other than that I's say your pretty spot on with the others.

Big Pete

Referee
So you agree with me that both should have got more?
Pretty long winded way to go about it.

My point is that the McKinnon incident clearly doesn't matter. So to play that card now seems out of touch, especially after the standard was set for the Josh Reynolds incident over two years ago.

Agree with a lot of your comments bar a few;

Don't think Moylan is overrated. A lot of people compare him to Tedesco but he's a completely different (and better imo) player than him. I thought Moylan did his job well and didn't have a lot to work with in terms of offloads from our forwards, edge overlaps etc. He broke them a couple of times, threw a few cutout passes and had a couple neat kicks (one nearly led to a try if Jennings held the ball.) Def a player for the future - just remember it's his 2nd origin game.

Reynolds was horrible. He can kick - whoop di doo. Zero passing game and doesn't have the nuts to lead this group around.

Bird is the overrated one. Seriously, what does this guy offer except a cry when he drops the ball?

Woods was the better of our front row I thought, but again needs a partner in crime that goes with him. Tamou was lost and Gallen can't stay out of the way.

Other than that I's say your pretty spot on with the others.

no

Frailty

First Grade
after 1 series win in 11, i think it's long past keeping criticism in-house. the idiots at NSWRL want to maintain their own empire and the status quo. it doesn't lend for a re-assessment of how things are done. it's about time NSW origin has been publicly called out, even though Gould has done it in his herald column for the last few series. anything spoken from the horses mouth has much more of an impact though.

with regard to players, it's what's been said by many NSWman on here for several years now. The only deniers are Cronulla fans for Gallen, Tigers fans for Farah.

and what ifs re game incidents are just that. history and fact show that this QLD team always find a way to win against this NSW team.

That's interesting considering Sharks fans have been saying for years that he has stifled any attack at the club... Until this year, where he has stepped back and played great for the Sharks.

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
Cartwright & Graham along with Cordner, Jackson & Frizell?

You don't need 5 f**king edge forwards who play 80' in a bloody 17-man rugby league team.

In saying that, Frizell can excel as a middle forward. It just means he'd be on the field for less minutes. But it'd be great to let him rip in for 20' in each half with the venom he showed last night in his carries. Hits the line fast and hard and got the defensive on their heels for the next play. Woods, Tamou and Gallen might get metres, but they also lumber up to the line and it allows the QLD tacklers to constantly hold them up allowing the line to set. Compare it to the QLD forwards who f**k motor to the line.

Anyway Tamou and Gallen should be dropped and Woods needs to get his speed up. He's reminding me of Jeith Galloway and Kane Snowden. Effective at club, but Origin needs faster play.

I was of the understanding that Cordner would still be injured. Graham on the left, jackson right with Frizell in the middle and cartwright of the bench looks good to me. If Cordner is fit Graham can come of the bench as a second row/lock replelacment and Cartwright can move to a utility roaming type of role. For me game 3 is more about blooding players we want for the Blues future even if it means moving to a more mobile forward pack

T.T

Juniors
Jennings had 3 grabs at the ball. The first 2 times he missed and 3rd time he knocked on. Such a spastic lol.

He was one of our better players last few years though so he deserved his selection. But he hasn't done enough to retain his spot for game 3. Time to move on

Game_Breaker

Coach
Jennings possibly the worst solo origin performance since Justin Hodges' debut.

I don't get why people are defending him saying he didn't know Frizell was behind him. He still knocked on, the ball was just there and no pressure on him

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
No one thats a NSW supporter that is criticising their own players said this BEFORE the game. They're only saying it now and that just proves who was to know they were going to have a bad game. Were they supposed to know like the way some of you critics seem to all of a sudden know? Some of these guys are usually NSW heroes thats getting dissed.

How long has some of these "useless" players been playing for NSW?

Jennings and Gallen has been around for awhile and on this forum I cant find a thread with the title 'Gallen and Jennings should not be in the NSW side'.

If you said it all along then good on ya. Everyones got the right to criticise and with emotion but to all of a sudden stomp a hero to past the point of zero is over the top and you probably need to calm down.

Youtube Jennings NSW moments, you'll see he wasnt that bad. You dont get picked for NSW cos youre??..whatever yous critics are calling them NOW.

Last edited:

ed-grimley

Bench
The Nine commentary was as bad as I've ever heard - unprofessional, biased and sloppy. I had to mute the broadcast.