What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Judiciary & Match Review

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Bit harsh on Taupau and AFB....facing three weeks according to Fox Sports for shoulder charges.

Thought both should have been penalised during the game, no further punishment tbh...

I can't even remember the AFB one??
So yeah, 2 to 3 weeks is bloody ridiculous (unless it happened when I was grabbing a beer and it was actually bad).

Taupau just doesn't bloody learn. I thought when it happened he would be in trouble. 2 weks sounds about right if they are fair dinkum in getting rid of shoulder charges given his track record.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
I'd have him at Parra in less than a heartbeat. Awesome player....a bit over the top with his aggro sometimes but his role is to bash the opposition and he sure as shit did that to Matagi yesterday...

I like Vic, but he seems to have an unhealthy fixation on Marty lol

Vic Mackey

Referee
I like Vic, but he seems to have an unhealthy fixation on Marty lol

I felt the way he left our club was pretty poor. When he left the dogs he was a reserve grader yet he put up this heartfelt post on social media saying how much he had loved the club and fans etc. He then came to the Tigers where he became an international and his own brand. He pisses off whilst under contract and even weeks before he has signed he has his twitter hashtag as the one all the manly players use. Never gave the tigers fans or club a thank you.

No doubts the guy can be a terrific player and it is a bit of sour grapes from me.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I can't even remember the AFB one??
So yeah, 2 to 3 weeks is bloody ridiculous (unless it happened when I was grabbing a beer and it was actually bad).

Taupau just doesn't bloody learn. I thought when it happened he would be in trouble. 2 weks sounds about right if they are fair dinkum in getting rid of shoulder charges given his track record.
A bit of good news and a bit of hope for us this coming week after a horrid weekend.

We will take any misfortune from other sides gleefully.

The following is from the NRL's website for the Eagles v Eels game-

Sea Eagles props face two-match bans
Mon 06 Mar, 2017, 11:25am
NRL.com

Sea Eagles props Martin Taupau and Addin Fonua-Blake are both facing two-match bans, both cited by the NRL match review committee for shoulder charges in their side's Round 1 loss to the Eels on Sunday afternoon.

Taupau was charged for his shot on Parramatta counterpart Suaia Matagi in the 13th minute, with three prior non-similar offences in the past two years adding 60 per cent loading to the 200-point base penalty for the charge.

A similar offence in the past two years added 50 per cent loading to Fonua-Blake's charge, with both men to miss two matches if they accept an early guilty plea. The front-row duo will miss three matches if they unsuccessfully challenge their charges at the NRL judiciary.

judiciaryR12017.jpg

Pete Cash

Post Whore
He should have been suspended...

Nah we are both biased here but when hodges did it he was hit with a grade 1 contrary conduct charge back when there was specific gradings based on who the behaviour was towards. The refs carried a 125 point base charge and he had enough carry over points to be suspended for two weeks

Under the simplified judiciary of 2017 a grade 1 contrary conduct would only be a fine

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Having looked at Taupau's again a few times this afternoon, they should contest it.

Jake T hits him underneath and completely changes the tackle for Taupau.

Taupau did not drop his hands at all and had them up to wrap him but Matagi got knocked sideways from Jakes tackle.

If that is worth 2 or 3 weeks the game is going to the dogs.

Basil Brush

Juniors
Having looked at Taupau's again a few times this afternoon, they should contest it.

Jake T hits him underneath and completely changes the tackle for Taupau.

Taupau did not drop his hands at all and had them up to wrap him but Matagi got knocked sideways from Jakes tackle.

If that is worth 2 or 3 weeks the game is going to the dogs.
We may have our differences but I do agree with your last point.

However, it was a shoulder charge every day of the week.

Watch it live, not in slow motion.

Taupau only had one thought which was hitting with his shoulder.

Danish

Referee
I seriously need the match review panel to release a video explaining the gradings for tripping.

It will need to have an age restriction on viewing I imagine, because if what Munster did was a grade 1 then I shudder to think at the Deadpool levels of violence involved in a grade 5

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Haha, I remember when Hodges got two weeks just for gesturing to the ref.

Yes but back then the loading on a grade 1 contrary conduct abuse towards the ref was 125 points and he had stacks of carry over points.

I do think he should have been charged but the punishment for a grade 1 contrary conduct is only a fine now.

Looks like everyone charged in Round 1 took the early guilty plea. From the NRL's website -

Sea Eagles props banned for two weeks
Tue 07 Mar, 2017, 12:10pm
NRL.com

Sea Eagles props Martin Taupau and Addin Fonua-Blake have been suspended for two weeks, after both entered early guilty pleas for their shoulder charges in their side's Round 1 loss to the Eels.

Taupau was charged for his shot on Parramatta counterpart Suaia Matagi in the 13th minute, with three prior non-similar offences in the past two years adding 60 per cent loading to the 200-point base penalty for the charge.

A similar offence in the past two years added 50 per cent loading to Fonua-Blake's charge.

The Manly duo join Raiders forward Clay Priest as the players suspended from Round 1, with Will Chambers, Cameron Munster and Joseph Leilua the first players fined under the NRL's revamped match review system.

chargesrd1tues.jpg

Latest posts