What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 NFL Draft

Tom155

Coach
I think this is a great draft for edge rushers, so many I like: Derek Barnett, Tim Williams, Taco
Charlton, Myles Garrett, Charles Harris, DeMarcus Walker, T.J. Watt, and possibly Ryan Anderson. I'm also very keen to see how Derek Rivers (Youngstown) at the Senior Bowl

I've also been watching more of Soloman Thomas and I don't think there's that much between him and Jonathan Allen. Allen is bigger but Thomas is quicker
Add Dawuane Smoot, Carl Lawson & Takk McKinley too great talent/depth

Happy to finally see Solomon Thomas getting recognition they couldn't overlook him anymore after that performance in the bowl game vs. North Carolina

Tom155

Coach
DB class is ridiculous

CB
Sidney Jones
Quincy Wilson
Jalen Tabor
Marlon Humphrey
Marshon Lattimore
Gareon Conley
Desmond King
Adoree Jackson
Cordrea Tankersley
Tre'Davious White
Jourdan Lewis
Cameron Sutton
Chidobe Awuzie
Corn Elder
Damontae Kazee

S
Malik Hooker
Jamal Adams
Budda Baker
Marcus Maye
Jabrill Peppers
Eddie Jackson
Tedric Thompson
Marcus Williams
Justin Evans

All talented/highly rated guys just off the top of my head, others I cant think of right now

Last edited:

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I'd love the 9ers to go all in defensively in this draft. The potential is there to really set up a strong defense for years to come.

Shorty

Staff member
The Deshaun Watson hype train is back in full effect. Would love for the Browns to get caught up in it. Go on Browns, snag that QB.
He said no to the senior bowl and word is Hue wasn't impressed.
So I think he free falls, we'll see.
Its possible they fall for Trubisky but I reckon Garrett is off the board.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Not going QB?

I think Shanahan will, but there's so many needs on the team I think it's asking too much of a QB.

With the way the college system is these days I think QB is largely a crapshoot, but most QB's who have immediate success do so off the back of a strong supporting cast that's already established.

I think the 9ers have too many needs to fix both sides of the ball in one off season and I'd rather take a higher probability of success than crapshoot on a QB who has very little to work with.

This draft is a defense heavy one, I'd be taking advantage of that.

Of course a lot can change on whether Jed is willing to open the purse strings in free agency or not.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
He said no to the senior bowl and word is Hue wasn't impressed.
So I think he free falls, we'll see.
Its possible they fall for Trubisky but I reckon Garrett is off the board.

He even said no after the Browns asked him to reconsider.

Publicly Hue says it will make no difference, but you'd have to think it will count against him.

Of course the combine can make all of it go away pretty quickly if he comes up big there.

shiznit

Coach
To be honest I think at this point QB needy teams already know who they would prefer.

I think all that really happens from here is the Browns have to figure out are they able to take Garrett with #1 and will the QB they want drop to them at #12 or maybe even fill another hole and see if they have a QB they can get with #33.

There's also a potential Jimmy G. trade out there also,..

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I'll be very surprised if the Browns take a QB with the #1. As you say, they have a lot of options in front of them to get a QB without using the #1. I think Garrett is a lock barring injury or sudden off field scandal.

9ers, Bears, Jets, Bills, Browns all need QB's.

Trubisky is the only one I've seen go top 10 in every mock draft I've come across. Watson and Kizer seem to float from top 5 to second round, but looking at the teams who are desperate for a QB and the lack of quality in free agency it wouldn't shock me to see all 3 of them go high.Would be a mistake that will backfire for some of those teams, but still wouldn't surprise.

shiznit

Coach
I actually don't mind a QB taken high if you find a QB you actually believe in.

The problem I have with this draft as I've stated before is the grades aren't really high first round... the highest grade I've seen is late 1st and more likely 2nd...

So that means that these QB's are going early based on need more than actual value.

By all means... if you fall in love with one of these QB's and feel like they can be your franchise guy then there's no pick too early.... just take him!

But if your picking one of these kids up because you have a glaring need at QB and you need to make it look like your taking this issue seriously by using a first rounder on it then your going to end up in trouble...

I actually think based on how the new Browns front office drafted last season there's a big chance they don't take any QB's in this class.

I mean if they passed up on Carson Wentz who had a solid 1st round grade then I don't see how they can draft one of these QB's in the top 15.

Having said that... I'm more often than not wrong on draft predictions..... lol

Last edited:

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I think most would agree with your QB assessment, but then as the game memories fade, combines happen, teams ahead of you in the draft show interest in your preferred QB etc, pressure mounts and that's when teams make rash moves.

I hope Shanahan takes a liking to either Mahomes or Kaaya. I think both will be available when the 9ers pick round 3 or at the very least one of them will be.

My priority would be ILB and OLB with the first 2 picks. If we can find a suitable partner trade back the first (while remaining top 10) for compensation that includes an extra 2nd round pick this year as I think we could get a decent QB (if Shanahan likes them) in the 3rd while picking up instant upgrades with our first 3 picks.

At worst would have to use the extra 2nd round pick for a QB if worried about missing out, but would still get some serious defensive upgrades first.

shiznit

Coach
I'm interested to see what the 9ers do....

Something I reckon to keep an eye on is Kirk Cousins in Washington.... do the skins tag him again if he doesn't do a deal...

The Shanahans have always loved him and by all accounts he had a great relationship with Kyle right from the scouting combine.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Kyle fought hard for him was instrumental in Cousins getting picked by Washington.

The Redskins stuffed around a little last year and doing so with the franchise tag again will almost guarantee he walks after next season when he's a free agent.

That's another reason for the 9ers not to take a QB first round. Cousins is definitely a possibility if the skins don't lock him into a long term deal.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
With Shanahan in charge swaying free agents on the offense side will be an easier sell you'd think. Yet another reason i prefer D in this years draft.

nick87

Coach
I'm interested to see what the 9ers do....

Something I reckon to keep an eye on is Kirk Cousins in Washington.... do the skins tag him again if he doesn't do a deal...

The Shanahans have always loved him and by all accounts he had a great relationship with Kyle right from the scouting combine.

The skins arent going to let him walk out the door. He's a flawed player and im not sure he's ever going to be a top 10 guy consistently but he's a legit NFL starting QB, and those are hard to find, you dont just let one walk

He'll be tagged if a deal isnt reached, his tag number, even at 120% is palatable for them.
It'll be next year where things get interesting. If no deal is struck, and he's back here next year after another kind of good but no play off season... what then?

shiznit

Coach
The skins arent going to let him walk out the door. He's a flawed player and im not sure he's ever going to be a top 10 guy consistently but he's a legit NFL starting QB, and those are hard to find, you dont just let one walk

He'll be tagged if a deal isnt reached, his tag number, even at 120% is palatable for them.
It'll be next year where things get interesting. If no deal is struck, and he's back here next year after another kind of good but no play off season... what then?
I don't know if tagging him is a good idea TBH...

They just need to pay him if they believe in him otherwise move on....

All tagging him does is give you a QB for $25M a season and probably an 8-8, 9-7 record and a mid round draft pick.

I reckon your almost better off letting him walk and picking up a cheap free agent QB and using that extra salary to re-do and front load some other key contracts.

Get yourself an early draft pick for next years draft which is from all accounts looking like a far better draft class for QB's.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
If the Redskins mess around with the franchise tag again he's gone come 2018 IMO. There are teams that would be more than willing to wait one more season for an experienced proven NFL QB.

Nick is right, they won't let him walk, but they need to get it done on a long term deal.

Arizona is one to keep an eye on too (especially for 9ers fans). Palmer/Fitzgerald both considering retirement. If that happens they'll definitely become a QB needy team. I get the feeling that if one does then the other will too. The division isn't as intimidating as it was a couple of years ago.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Bengals have so many needs. I thought we had looked after our O-Line when we drafted in 2015, but that's not panning out. Both seem to not be the quality we were looking for. 2016 is still up in the air. Dalton is a decent QB. No world beater, but given how well he played this season while running for his life for most of it, I think if we can fix that O-Line (and as it's the Bengals, we will continue to work with Ogbuehi and Fisher and hope they come good), and maybe get a decent Centre to fix the middle of the line which is killing us, and then on defence someone to pair up with Atkins to rush the passer in defence and hope those CB's we have been drafting start playing to there drafting rounds, we could bounce back in a big way.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Myles Garret asking the Cowboys to use Romo as part of a trade to get to the number 1 spot.

Also said he would prefer to not go to a cold weather city.

Won't be attending the draft (for good reasons though)

Something tells me he doesn't want to go to the Browns.