What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Roster: Gains & Losses

One Warrior

Bench
Current Squad/ Year Contract Expires

Solomone Kata 2019
Bunty Afoa 2019
David Fusitua 2019
Isaiah Papalii 2019
Isaac luke 2018
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck 2018
Simon Mannering 2018
Manu Vatuvei 2018
Tuimoala Lolohea 2018
Sam Lisone 2018
Ken Maumalo 2018
Jazz Tevega 2018
Junior Pauga 2018
Shaun Johnson 2017
Jacob Lillyman 2017
Ryan Hoffman 2017
Matt Allwood 2017
Bodene Thompson 2017
Ben Matulino 2017
Blake Ayshford 2017
Ligi Sao 2017
Toafofoa Sipley 2017
Albert Vete 2017
Nathaniel Roache 2017
Erin Clark 2017
Ofahiki Ogden 2017
Patrick Sipley 2017
James Gavet 2017
Charlie Gubb 2017
Charnaze Nicole-Klokstad 2017
Ata Hingano 2017
Mason Lino 2017

Losses

Ben Henry - (Retired)
Konrad Hurrell (Titans)
Thomas Leuluai - ( Wigan Warriors)
Jonathan Wright - (Manly)
Jeff Robson (Eels)
Shaun Lane - (Manly)
Raymond Faitala-Mariner (Bulldogs)
Henare Wells (No current contract)
Marata Niukore - (Eels)
Sione Lousi - (No current contract)
John Palavi - (No current contract)
Ups Poching - (No current contract)

Gains
Kieran Foran 2017 (Dependant on clearance from NRL)
Jordan Pinnock 2017 (Knights)
Matthew Sauni 2017 (Canterbury Bulls)
Tevin Arona 2017 (Hornby Panthers)

Anybody who has any further info please advise, thanks.

Last edited:

One Warrior

Bench
Barely any gains for 2017, Kieran Foran depends on NRL clearance and the others are NSW Cup contracts, plenty of losses and rumour now floating about Charlie Gubb wanting an immediate release. A lot of the roster
is either nearing retirement or young and inexperienced, very notable that well over half the squad's contracts are up at the end of 2017. A lot of players have departed in the last two years and 2017 may see more of the same, it will be an interesting year as Kearney shapes his squad. Just my thoughts on the current roster.

Solomone Kata 2019
Bunty Afoa 2019
David Fusitua 2019
Isaiah Papalii 2019
Simon Mannering 2018
Manu Vatuvei 2018
Tuimoala Lolohea 2018
Sam Lisone 2018
Ken Maumalo 2018
Jazz Tevega 2018
Junior Pauga 2018
Shaun Johnson 2017
Jacob Lillyman 2017
Ryan Hoffman 2017
Matt Allwood 2017
Bodene Thompson 2017
Ben Matulino 2017
Toafofoa Sipley 2017
Albert Vete 2017
Nathaniel Roache 2017
Erin Clark 2017
Ofahiki Ogden 2017
Patrick Sipley 2017
James Gavet 2017
Charlie Gubb 2017
Ata Hingano 2017
Mason Lino 2017

Losses

Ben Henry - (Retired)
Konrad Hurrell (Titans)
Jeff Robson (Eels)
Shaun Lane - (Manly)
Marata Niukore - (Eels)

Gains
Kieran Foran 2017 (Dependant on clearance from NRL)

You forgot our 2 best signings for 2016 in RTS and Isaac Luke.

Rich102

Staff member
I bet Manu is happy he was signed to such a long contract before he hit the bull and could still catch the ball.
Jeez, contracts are such an awkward area of our game.
You would think there will be a few this year playing for their futures.

One Warrior

Bench

Solomone Kata 2019
Bunty Afoa 2019
David Fusitua 2019
Isaiah Papalii 2019
Isaac luke 2018
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck 2018 - Captain 2018
Simon Mannering 2018 - Vice Captain 2018
Manu Vatuvei 2018
Tuimoala Lolohea 2018
Sam Lisone 2018
Ken Maumalo 2018
Jazz Tevega 2018
Junior Pauga 2018
Shaun Johnson 2017
Jacob Lillyman 2017
Ryan Hoffman 2017
Matt Allwood 2017
Bodene Thompson 2017
Ben Matulino 2017
Blake Ayshford 2017
Ligi Sao 2017
Toafofoa Sipley 2017
Albert Vete 2017
Nathaniel Roache 2017
Erin Clark 2017
Ofahiki Ogden 2017
Patrick Sipley 2017
James Gavet 2017
Charlie Gubb 2017
Ata Hingano 2017
Mason Lino 2017

Losses

Ben Henry - (Retired)
Konrad Hurrell (Titans)
Jeff Robson (Eels)
Shaun Lane - (Manly)
Marata Niukore - (Eels)

Gains
Kieran Foran 2017 (Cleared to play Round 3 15/2/17)

Gains for 2018

Tohu Harris 2021

Last edited:

One Warrior

Bench
member-tag-top-Irg.gif
title-official-release.png

FEATURE NEWS

Vodafone Warriors make major announcements
Hi Stephen John,

Vodafone Warriors head coach Stephen Kearney has today named fullback Roger Tuivasa-Sheck as the club’s 2017 NRL captain while also confirming Kiwi second rower Tohu Harris has been signed on a four-year deal from 2018.

Kearney has additionally announced veteran second rower Simon Mannering as the club’s 2017 vice-captain.

“These are critical decisions we’ve made in the club’s best interests for not just this season but also for our future,” said Kearney.

“We’ve given the captaincy a lot of thought throughout the offseason before reaching this point.

“Roger offers all the qualities we want from our players. He is a true professional in the way he goes about all he does, providing a wonderful example for players to follow. He’s also one of our leaders and has many years left in the game.

“Simon will give him the support he needs as vice-captain. It’s important to have him in the role because he epitomises everything our club stands for.”

Kearney paid tribute to veteran second rower Ryan Hoffman, who led the side last year.

“Hoff has given the Vodafone Warriors tremendous service as a player since joining us in 2015 and as captain last season,” he said.

“As one of our leaders he’ll still have a critical leadership role to play this year. That won’t change.

“What we’ve done is to look further ahead with not just the captaincy but also the make-up of our squad.

“It’s exciting to bring Roger in as our new captain and to also secure Tohu from next season. He’s a wonderful forward, still young and very much at the top of his game. I certainly look forward to having him with us next year.”

Tuivasa-Sheck (23) said he was honoured to become the Vodafone Warriors’ 11th captain after Dean Bell (1995), Greg Alexander (1996), Matthew Ridge (1997-1999), John Simon (2000), co-captains Stacey Jones and Kevin Campion (2001), Monty Betham (2002-2004), Steve Price (2005-2009), Mannering (2010-2015) and Hoffman (2016).

“I was really humbled when Mooks offered me the position,” said Tuivasa-Sheck.

“It’s a huge privilege to be captain of my club and I’m excited about taking on the added responsibility. I want to do all I can to help the Vodafone Warriors become the club we all want it to be.”

Mannering, 31 this year, said he would give not just Tuivasa-Sheck but the entire team all the support he could.

“I stepped aside from the captaincy last year and enjoyed the chance I had to focus more on my own job as a player,” he said.

“Mooks has come on board and asked me to take on the vice-captain’s job. I’m happy to do it if he thinks it’s in the team’s best interests. For me it’s all about trying to make our club the best it can be.”

In his reign as captain Mannering led the Vodafone Warriors a club record 136 times and added a 137th match in charge when he took over from Hoffman for a game last year.

Hastings born and raised Harris (25), off-contract with Melbourne this year, said he was thrilled about the chance to link up with the Vodafone Warriors.

“I’ve had a great time with the Storm and I owe them so much for what they’ve done for me,” he said.

“Coming home to play for the Vodafone Warriors is a fantastic opportunity, though. The club has a great roster with so many Kiwi boys there and being back in New Zealand closer to family is a big attraction.

“I also have great respect for Mooks through my time with him in the Kiwis and I look forward to working with him again.”

Harris has made 103 NRL appearances for Melbourne since debuting in 2013 while he has played 16 Tests for the Kiwis.

Click the 'Watch Now' button below to watch an exclusive interview with Stephen Kearney and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck.

One Warrior

Bench
Sorry for the slow update, have been away on holiday, anyway great news yesterday with the re-signing of Shaun Johnson until the end of 2019 - story below:

Exclusive] Johnson re-signs
Richard Becht

Fri 28th April, 09:18AM

Shaun Johnson announcement
Vodafone Warriors makes big announcement about Shaun Johnson's future at the club
h

Shaun Johnson has today committed his future with the Vodafone Warriors until the end of the 2019 NRL season after signing a new two-year contract.

The 26-year-old said he was thrilled to settle his future with the club in what he regards as the most important contract of his career so far.

“This was a big contract for a lot of reasons and I’m excited to be able to lock it away and know I’ll be here for another two years,” he said.

“My belief in this club is massive and my belief that we can do something special here is bigger than ever with everything we have in place.

“I have always said in the past that I could never imagine myself being anywhere else but the Vodafone Warriors. I’m that kid who came up through the system and I love it here and what the club has done for me. There was more to think about this time but, in the end, it came down to winning.

“I could go to another club and another system but I realised winning there (at another club) wouldn’t mean as much as winning here. That’s what I want to be a part of here.”

Johnson’s two-year contract leaves him in line to extend his career to nine seasons with the Vodafone Warriors.

Having appeared in all eight games so far this season, he has now appeared 133 times for the club. He has also moved ahead of Stacey Jones’ club record of 674 points with his total now sitting at 717 points including 58 tries.

On Sunday, Johnson faces the club - the Sydney Roosters - he made his debut against in 2011.

SHAUN JOHNSON

Date of Birth: September 9, 1990

Birthplace: Auckland, NZ

Junior Clubs: Hibiscus Coast Raiders, Northcote Tigers

Position: Halfback

Height: 179cm

Weight: 91kg

Rep Honours: 20 Tests for Kiwis (2012-2016), NRL All Stars (2013)

NRL Debut: Vodafone Warriors v Sydney Roosters, Allianz Stadium, June 4, 2011 (Round 13)

NRL Career: 133 appearances (2011-2017)

NRL Points: 717 points (58 tries, 239 goals, 7 field goals

http://www.warriors.kiwi/news/2017/04/28/_announcement_johnso.html

One Warrior

Bench
Current Squad/year contract expires

Solomone Kata 2019
Bunty Afoa 2019
David Fusitua 2019
Isaiah Papalii 2019
Shaun Johnson 2019
Etene Nanai 2019
Isaac luke 2018
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck 2018 - Captain 2018
Simon Mannering 2018 - Vice Captain 2018
Manu Vatuvei 2018
Tuimoala Lolohea 2018
Sam Lisone 2018
Ken Maumalo 2018
Jazz Tevega 2018
Junior Pauga 2018
Jacob Lillyman 2017
Ryan Hoffman 2017
Matt Allwood 2017
Bodene Thompson 2017
Ben Matulino 2017
Blake Ayshford 2017
Ligi Sao 2017
Toafofoa Sipley 2017
Albert Vete 2017
Nathaniel Roache 2017
Erin Clark 2017
Ofahiki Ogden 2017
Patrick Sipley 2017
James Gavet 2017
Charlie Gubb 2017
Ata Hingano 2017
Mason Lino 2017
Jordan Pinnock 2017
Matthew Sauni 2017
Tevin Arona 2017
Sam Cook 2017
Chris Satae 2017

Losses

Ben Henry - (Retired)
Konrad Hurrell (Titans)
Jeff Robson (Eels)
Shaun Lane - (Manly)
Marata Niukore - (Eels)
Sione Lousi - (Townsville Blackhawks)
John Palavi - (Limoux Grizzlies)
Upu Poching - (No current contract)

Gains
Kieran Foran 2017 (Cleared to play Round 3 15/2/17)
Chris Satae 2017 (Pt Chevalier Pirates)

Gains for 2018

Tohu Harris 2021

Losses for 2018

Ryan Hoffman
Ben Matulino (West Tigers)

Anybody who has any further info please advise, thanks.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

One Warrior

Bench
Etene Nanai signed until the end of 2018.

The Warriors have won a tug-of-war with rugby union to secure the services of the hottest teenage athletic prospect in Auckland.

Viral footage of Etene Nanai, a cousin of Warriors captain Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, former Chiefs' Samoan centre Tim Nanai-Williams and Blues outside back Melani Nanai, starring at centre for St Kentigern College First XV is wowing social media audiences and raising the question of who has nabbed the signature of the fast-rising 17-year-old.

Warriors development manager Tony Iro confirmed Nanai was signed to the NRL club until the end of 2019 and also revealed coach Stephen Kearney wanted to unleash him in the Auckland Nines in February but he was ruled ineligible due to age restrictions.

The Warriors are happy for him to concentrate on rugby during his final school year but there is a possibility he could turn out for the club's Under 20s side once his First XV commitments have finished.

"He's been with the club for a couple of years but First XV is his priority at the moment," said Iro.

"He's a talented and smart kid and pretty well balanced. He's quick, got good feet and a good footy sense as well, so he's got all the attributes you need. He'll be a good player.

"He spent a little bit of time with the NRL side just before Christmas and did some training but he'll just stay with his First XV side this year before joining us in the preseason."

Warriors back-rower Ryan Hoffman said Nanai made a big impression when he left star halfback Shaun Johnson clutching at air during pre-season training.

"He stood out when he gave Shaun a bit of his own back," said Hoffman.

"We were doing a one- on-one defensive drill and he turned Shaun inside out so that certainly raised a few eyebrows.

"I don't think he could wipe the smile off his face after that."

Auckland-born and bred, Nanai was a standout at fullback in St Kentigern's 2015 Auckland 1A title win and is now proving a YouTube hit after dominating in midfield to help his side win last week's Presbyterian quadrangular tournament and a pre-season match against Christchurch Boy's High.

St Kentigern First XV coach Tai Lavea says he is happy to give Nanai a new challenge, both defensively and organisationally, at centre.

"He's got a lot to learn, but it's a no-brainer that he's one of our marquee players," said Lavea. "He's an abrasive player, he's come back in ridiculous shape and his confidence in contact has gone to another level."

The High School Top 200 website, which unofficially ranks the top First XV players in the country, has Nanai at No3, behind Wellington College lock Naitoa Ah Kuoi and Hastings Boy's first-five Lincoln McClutchie.

Despite his lofty status, Nanai - like fellow Warriors rookie forward and former Mt Albert Grammar First XV star Isaiah Papali'i - was ruled ineligible for the New Zealand Schoolboys rugby side after committing to the 13-man game.

The Warriors are keeping an open mind about where he could slot in through the backline and an eventual move into the halves is not beyond him.

"He's come through the grades as a fullback but he can play centre or wing very easily and has an accurate punt on him, so who knows if he could transfer those skills into the halves," said Iro.

"Time will tell but he's got plenty of skills that will give him the best chance to play a number of positions."

The Warriors secured Nanai's services despite plenty of interest from the Chiefs, who lured him to an Under 18s camp last year from under the nose of his local franchise the Blues.

"I know him well," said Rennie. "We talk to lots of good young kids. As you know, he's been signed by the Warriors, so whether he stays in rugby or goes to league, we'll see what happens."

Rennie admits he would love to see him at the Chiefs, or even in another Warriors jersey.

"I'd love to see him in a Glasgow jumper, but that's probably not going to happen," he quipped.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=11849157

One Warrior

Bench
Not much activity in this thread lately apart from Shaun re-signing, with Foran going expect this to increase rapidly in the next couple of weeks. So as well Matulino, Foran and Hoffman leaving, Manu,Gubb & Tui could be leaving along with a bunch of others. On the signing front, Pulu has apparently signed and Gavet re-signed, expect a bunch more, next few weeks will be exciting.

Nb. I will not update the roster until the club has officially named a new signing or a re-signing.

Cold Roses

Juniors
"The club is also expected to table a new offer for Jacob Lillyman, though the future of fellow props Charlie Gubb and Albert Vete remain uncertain"