What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Top 8 flops

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Interesting that people think Titans are a drop - i've got them pegged for their best ever year. On paper (basically last year's side + Elgey and Hayne) it's hard to see them doing worse.

Do people think Hayne will be a destabalising influence? This is probably the best team he's played in since 2007-2009 Parra

My concern with the Titans is their lack of genuine pace. Looking at the way the Panthers/Raiders played last year, the way the Tigers are attempting to play, and the way the Warriors can play etc there's been a bit of a shift towards more free flowing attack and with that comes a real need for speed.

It's more of a suspicion on my behalf but I think some teams will be a little more free flowing this year and the Titans might struggle with the shift. Of course I could be 100% wrong on this one, but hey, that's what pre-season is about.

Hayne has some pace, but it's not what it used to be, Outside that, who's got genuine run away or chase down speed in this team?

footy75

Bench
Hard to see the Roosters not going in, too much talent.

Good halves and big pack - cordner, nappa, hardgreaves, evens solid backs..toupo , Kenny, fergusin, aubosen etc

I see them being the biggest improvers this year.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Pace was pretty much all the Titans had a few years back...

Yup - Gordon, Mead, Roberts etc

Speed isn't the be all end all in RL but i can't imagine many of the Titans players running down players from behind or being uncatchable once they break the line.

MKCS

Juniors
Raiders and possibly the Cowboys to miss out. I think the Roosters will make the 8 and I think the Warriors will be in there especially with a spine of RTS, Foran, Johnson and Luke.

Mr Bean

Juniors
You could make a case any of the top 8 from last year really to miss the cut.

Sharks - Obvious reasons of losing Ennis & Barba. Finally winning a premiership is no longer a driving ambition as it was in previous seasons. I still think they will make the 8 just the bottom half of it.

Storm - Can't see it happening baring a major injury to Cronk or Smith. They will be there.

Raiders - Only injuries or possible origin workload to players that haven't played rep footy is the only hindrance I could see. Top 4.

Panthers - Same as above. Should have a few more in the rep teams and that will be an adjustment they will need to make. The other thing that bothers me about the Panthers is the injuries problems they have had in the past that have derailed their seasons (Think 2015). I know Palmer has gotten the boot but they are not off to a good start losing Mansour & Mckendry for long periods before the season has started. Along with DWZ. Something to keep an eye on.
Still I think they will be top 4 material though.

Cowboys - Obvious loss of Tamou & Hannant leaves them short up front. The other thing that concerns me is the woeful form of Coote since he re-signed with the club last year. His pre season form so far has suggested nothing has changed. I bet there are a few Cowboys fans that are now wishing he didn't re-signed & they threw his money at Ponga.
I expect the Cowboys to regress but I can't write off a team with JT in it. Might just scrape into the 8.

Bulldogs - Everyone's pre season favourite to miss the 8. They haven't signed anyone of relevance, haven't improved their squad and the knives are out for Des.
But I think they will probably sneak back in. Have a great pack, a good coach.They have a habit of surprising you sometimes when they have been written off.
The start will be the key & so will the performance of Mbye.

Titans - Surprised many last year & recruited well for this year. Should improve or at least consolidate their place in the 8.
However I think Hayne will take longer this year to get going I am not convince he will ever be the same player he once was. Peats injury will hurt them and when he comes back he will take time coming into form Plus the fact Taylor & Elgey have only played I think 1 game together there combination will take time to gel.
I expecting the Titans to start the year slowly and then charge home, But will they leave their charge to late?

Broncos - Their performance was Jekyll & Hyde last year especially their halves. This year will be harder Hunt's leaving, Parker's gone, Roberts is on the waiting list to break his last chance and the old coach has gone bonkers and signed a dud in Marshall. Their performance at the WCC was woeful. On that note you'd tip them to miss the 8
Form some reason I can't tip against them. Maybe its the past glories of the Broncos have had or Bennett's overall record.

The teams that could force their way in include.

Warriors - Obviously the roster they have now assembled. But can they finally live up to their fans expectations? That can't be answered.

Syd - Had their nadir year last year and I expect them to be back in the 8 this year.

Souths - Good coach, Good players & I expect Farah to have a great year and get the Burgess boys really firing this year. The key will probably be the fitness of GI & Reynolds. If they can stay fit for most of the year I expect Souths in the 8.

Eels - Never really saw the hype in Brad Arthur by the media, but I must admit he proved me wrong last year. I think he can guide the Eels into the 8 provided Norman stays out of trouble. The big question mark will be Semi. If Arthur can keep him committed and get MJ going again I think the Eels will sneak into the 8.

Manly - Already seen in the trials how the recruitment of Blake Green is paying dividends. Should allow D$E to open up his game more. Walker will have a better year in the centres. Tom T will go up another level. It will be very hard to keep this team out of the 8.

Tigers - I am not fussed on their coach. If they make the 8 it will be the brilliance of Tedesco & Moses and the Heart of Woods that will propel them there.

No chance.
Saints - I can't see then making the 8 with McGregor. There only hope would be to boot him out asap and hope a care taker coach can turn them.

Knights - Will improve and surprise a few teams, but making the 8 this year will be a stretch too far.

OVP

Coach
I really can't see the Titans missing out, they have far too good a team. Top 5 for mine.

Dogs, Broncos, Cowboys out

Tigers, Roosters, Eels in.

OK I'd like to revise mine

The Storm will struggle without Proctor and Koribete and be bottom half of 8 or even totally miss out. Same with Sharks, but i really can't pick who will miss out, I can't see both missing out though but you never know.

Dogs, Broncos, Cowboys, One of Sharks/Storm out

Tigers, Roosters, Eels, Warriors in.

pantherz9103

First Grade
Many concerns highlighted by such a shameful defeat for Penrith. We're really going to miss Mansour more than I thought as well because his metres take pressure of the forwards, who were embarassed by a hungry Dragons pack desperate to start the season well. I'll see how it goes the next couple of weeks before dismissing us though.

footy75

Bench
Many concerns highlighted by such a shameful defeat for Penrith. We're really going to miss Mansour more than I thought as well because his metres take pressure of the forwards, who were embarassed by a hungry Dragons pack desperate to start the season well. I'll see how it goes the next couple of weeks before dismissing us though.

agreed...got to wait a few more weeks

I had Penrith top 4 but fk me after today's effort.

Basil Brush

Juniors
My biggest worry for the panthers is they have the most inexperienced halves in the comp.

Will make the 8 but not sure they should be faves for the comp.

roofromoz

First Grade
Penrith don't have a strong winning record in Round 1, only winning 5 such encounters since 2000. But I can only think of 3 matches (Parra in 2001 and 2002 and Newcastle in 2011) where it was a worst performance than yesterday.

The betting market and accordingly the media have talked up Penrith in the off-season, but I never felt consumed by the hype, as that 6 match winning streak towards the end of last season were predominantly against bottom 8 sides, culminating in a second half blitz against a Bulldogs team that limped into the finals. I think Penrith are a top 8 team again this year with the squad assembled, but not premiership favourites, no way.

Latest posts