What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Membership Thread

Stallion

First Grade
Don't get too excited, memberships are no reflection of attendances! 30k members equals around 18-20k attendees in most cases, and that's being generous.

A perceptive observation PR! It's the walk up crowds that are the cream. The impulse attendee adds the big numbers when everything lines up. That's weather, locality, low prices, timeslot and a competitive game.

Last edited:

Suitman

Post Whore
Eh
Don't ever lock people out of an event
It attracted 51,000 in 2013
Thats what we should be aiming for every Easter Monday, & at the new ANZ
We should be getting

Mate, I used to think that as well, Actually it was in 2014 and I was at that game.
But ever since then, the Easter Monday game has been slowly declining in attendance, granted, it has been mainly due to the poor form of both teams.

50668 Parramatta v Wests Tigers Stadium Australia 21-Apr-2014
35510 Parramatta v Wests Tigers Stadium Australia 06-Apr-2015
36112 Wests Tigers v Parramatta Stadium Australia 28-Mar-2016
28249 Parramatta v Wests Tigers Stadium Australia 17-Apr-2017

https://afltables.com/rl/rl_index.html

But I have since changed my mind and now think that games must become "Must Attend" events, rather than, I'll turn up if I feel like it, otherwise, I'll just slouch on the lounge and watch it, which is the mentality of a lot of Aussie sports fans.
My reasoning behind this is that if you hold the Easter Monday game at WSS, for a few years, it'll be the case that only members will be able to get a ticket to the game. If people really want to go to that particular game, they will be encouraged to get a membership. This helps the clubs.
Once there is an overwhelming demand for memberships, THEN you "might" think about taking it to a bigger stadium, but even then, taking it to a stadium that is too large dilutes the reason why people were attracted to the smaller venue in the first place.

I'll give you an example. I'm no Tottenham or Arsenal fan in the Premier League. But this season, Spurs have been forced to play at Wembley because White Hart lane is being rebuilt. They've had enormous crowds there this season - much larger than the 38000 they could hold in their old ground, and much larger than the 63000 that they'll have in their newly rebuilt stadium.
Every time, they play Arsenal or Chelsea or Man U or Liverpool, after their new stadium is built, they could easily take the game to Wembley and sell it out. But English clubs have never done this.
Not only does it dilute their home advantage, but it creates demand for their smaller 60000 seat venue.
That's what we should be doing here.
Parramatta should be aiming at 25000 season ticket holders + (5000corporates)
The only way you can do this is to make fans desperate for a ticket so they don't miss out on the best games of the season. Not take bigger games to larger venues so the theatre goers can pretend to be part of a big event.
As I said before, I'd rather watch a game at WSS with 30000, than a game at ANZ with 35000. Even 50000.

Create the demand.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Mate, I used to think that as well, Actually it was in 2014 and I was at that game.
But ever since then, the Easter Monday game has been slowly declining in attendance, granted, it has been mainly due to the poor form of both teams.

50668 Parramatta v Wests Tigers Stadium Australia 21-Apr-2014
35510 Parramatta v Wests Tigers Stadium Australia 06-Apr-2015
36112 Wests Tigers v Parramatta Stadium Australia 28-Mar-2016
28249 Parramatta v Wests Tigers Stadium Australia 17-Apr-2017

https://afltables.com/rl/rl_index.html

But I have since changed my mind and now think that games must become "Must Attend" events, rather than, I'll turn up if I feel like it, otherwise, I'll just slouch on the lounge and watch it, which is the mentality of a lot of Aussie sports fans.
My reasoning behind this is that if you hold the Easter Monday game at WSS, for a few years, it'll be the case that only members will be able to get a ticket to the game. If people really want to go to that particular game, they will be encouraged to get a membership. This helps the clubs.
Once there is an overwhelming demand for memberships, THEN you "might" think about taking it to a bigger stadium, but even then, taking it to a stadium that is too large dilutes the reason why people were attracted to the smaller venue in the first place.

I'll give you an example. I'm no Tottenham or Arsenal fan in the Premier League. But this season, Spurs have been forced to play at Wembley because White Hart lane is being rebuilt. They've had enormous crowds there this season - much larger than the 38000 they could hold in their old ground, and much larger than the 63000 that they'll have in their newly rebuilt stadium.
Every time, they play Arsenal or Chelsea or Man U or Liverpool, after their new stadium is built, they could easily take the game to Wembley and sell it out. But English clubs have never done this.
Not only does it dilute their home advantage, but it creates demand for their smaller 60000 seat venue.
That's what we should be doing here.
Parramatta should be aiming at 25000 season ticket holders + (5000corporates)
The only way you can do this is to make fans desperate for a ticket so they don't miss out on the best games of the season. Not take bigger games to larger venues so the theatre goers can pretend to be part of a big event.
As I said before, I'd rather watch a game at WSS with 30000, than a game at ANZ with 35000. Even 50000.

Create the demand.

I don't subscribe to that theory at all
Sydneysiders are not english soccer fans
not for a sport attempting to develop an attendance culture
we're a sport full of fans who'd rather fill a 20K venue & lock people out , & be happy because of ... atmosphere ... as opposed to a 30K in a larger venue & have everyone wanting to go , be able to
clubs are lazy & won't get off their bums to grow their brand
Easter monday should be an event & a 30K capacity venue should be too small to play it in

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
With parra on track for over 25k members this year could they be at 30k in the next year or 2? Most probably if they perform well. It would be a pain if after a year or 2 of WSS opening fans are complaining about a sold out sign. Is there a option for a 40k redovelopment in 10yrs time?
Would need 50k members to consistently sell it out

And realistically parra should aim for 50k one day ..

If the f**king swans can get 50k members surely we can give it a shake

Stallion

First Grade

Agree and their membership numbers for a "glorified training run" as well with respects to the Australian rules!

taipan

Referee

And no one watches the Swans on Tv here ,in any numbers of value.Don't forget the Sydney Ducks have at least 10,000 fans in Melbourne from the old South Melbourne days.
I agree with you Parra should be aiming for 50,000,especially when they have a new ,you beaut stadium.

Suitman

Post Whore
Parramatta's highest ever season home crowd average was in 1986 when the old Parra stadium opened. That year the average was 20326. I'm not taking into account season 1999, where their average was 23266 and was massively skewed by the 104583 that turned up to the double header opening of Stadium Australia.

I reckon, if Parra have a successful season this year on the field, that the previous Parra Stadium only average could be broken next season, although at this stage, it looks as though the stadium might not be opening until about June. I would expect they'll be pushing 30000 members next year.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors

I’m not sure of the makeup of the parra membership seating plan but you could assume of the 30k seats 5k would be corporate with 1k? 500 sears for away fans? Another 1k for walk ups? Leaves only 23-25k full paying yr memberships. Parra could get there in 5yrs time with good season behind them. Then for the next 25yrs fans will complain about not enough seats? Not ideal.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
I’m not sure of the makeup of the parra membership seating plan but you could assume of the 30k seats 5k would be corporate with 1k? 500 sears for away fans? Another 1k for walk ups? Leaves only 23-25k full paying yr memberships. Parra could get there in 5yrs time with good season behind them. Then for the next 25yrs fans will complain about not enough seats? Not ideal.

Great problem to have... if they sell out every home game at 32,000 people..

Mind you never ever been done in 110 years of NRL ..

And if they do just charge a waiting fee, like many us sports do

Stallion

First Grade
My gut feel is I think this year the code and NRL will get its act together! And about time! Hope I haven't mocked it! Crossed fingers.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Great problem to have... if they sell out every home game at 32,000 people..

Mind you never ever been done in 110 years of NRL ..

And if they do just charge a waiting fee, like many us sports do

Agree it’s a good problem to have and I don’t have a problem having a waiting list but if it’s 25yrs long??..... that’s definitely not ideal and needs consideration.

moffla

Bench
That is 1 in every 15 people who live in the shire.

That’s great compared to say the storm who have about 1 in every 250 people just in Melbourne.
With no other rugby league competition what so ever.

The fact that you continue to completely ignore the AFL as a competitor in Melbourne is laughable. But I'm sure you're only trolling because no-one can honestly be that naive. The exposure we get down here is similar to what the GWS would get in Sydney.

carcharias

Immortal
The fact that you continue to completely ignore the AFL as a competitor in Melbourne is laughable. But I'm sure you're only trolling because no-one can honestly be that naive. The exposure we get down here is similar to what the GWS would get in Sydney.

I’m not talking about AFL though