What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Membership Thread

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Does anyone know if GWS Giants Netball Members are included in the member number as well
Not that I'm aware of, although there was someone saying that netball members get some kind of access to GWS AFL games?

cain3y

Juniors
2018 Club Memberships.png
Total 308013

Numbers to reach last years totals

Melbourne -3034
Newcastle -2458
St George -858
Canterbury -69
Gold Coast -12

Canberra 12
Parramatta 46
Cronulla 412
Wests 538
Penrith 827
Manly 1140
Brisbane 1497
Sydney 1561
South Sydney 1868
New Zealand 1927
North QLD 5306

Total 8703

Jamberoo

Juniors
View attachment 19839
Total 308013

Numbers to reach last years totals

Melbourne -3034
Newcastle -2458
St George -858
Canterbury -69
Gold Coast -12

Canberra 12
Parramatta 46
Cronulla 412
Wests 538
Penrith 827
Manly 1140
Brisbane 1497
Sydney 1561
South Sydney 1868
New Zealand 1927
North QLD 5306

Total 8703
Some good increases since last update. Closing in on last year. Who would have thought that the runners up would be the team that lost the most members!

Timmah

Staff member
Some good increases since last update. Closing in on last year. Who would have thought that the runners up would be the team that lost the most members!
They may well have been runners up but they finished 8th in reality, got kissed on the arse by a rainbow and have been shite ever since.

OzDragon

Coach
It's a testament to the lack of innovation in engagement of our board, CEO and marketing department that the first club to crack 20k members now just hobbles past that line on the back of some stellar and largely unexpected form.
The membership sales are largely done from an office at ANZ stadium via phone work (IIRC they were gonna move to Moore Park but dunno if that’s happened yet). I don’t think individual clubs have too much of a say in selling memberships but I may be wrong there.

Timmah

Staff member
The membership sales are largely done from an office at ANZ stadium via phone work (IIRC they were gonna move to Moore Park but dunno if that’s happened yet). I don’t think individual clubs have too much of a say in selling memberships but I may be wrong there.
Fairly sure that concept was abandoned at the end of last season after two years.

Clubs manage their memberships on their own now I think

cain3y

Juniors
Based on the rate of growth since the start of the seasons and the continued decline of adding new members until September I am posting my predicted total memberships at seasons end for each club

Brisbane 35711
South Sydney 29197
Parramatta 25362
Melbourne 24501
St George 21568
Penrith 20515
Canterbury 20225
Canberra 19968
Wests 19161
New Zealand 17912
North QLD 17803
Newcastle 16353
Cronulla 15502
Sydney 14900
Gold Coast 12330
Manly 12338

Total 323345

Lets see how close I get

Perth Red

Post Whore
Fairly sure that concept was abandoned at the end of last season after two years.

Clubs manage their memberships on their own now I think

Correct, NRL had a central team marketing and selling memberships but have now moved the funding to individual clubs from this year and is now their responsibility. (Source 2017 NRL annual report)

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Correct, NRL had a central team marketing and selling memberships but have now moved the funding to individual clubs from this year and is now their responsibility. (Source 2017 NRL annual report)

I had thought that new central thing was working WITH the clubs, not replacing them....

Membership sales is one of the things i think should definitely be lead by the club. Juniors, merch, ticket, etc. i think would all benefit from centralised oversight and collective planning.

But membershp is where clubs should really be setting themselves one against the other

Perth Red

Post Whore
I had thought that new central thing was working WITH the clubs, not replacing them....

Membership sales is one of the things i think should definitely be lead by the club. Juniors, merch, ticket, etc. i think would all benefit from centralised oversight and collective planning.

But membershp is where clubs should really be setting themselves one against the other

For previous two years the nrl has employed two people for each club to drive memberships. They were centrally based from how it reads. This year those roles have been handed to the clubs themselves according to the annual report.

» The centralised membership sales organisation was created to pursue the membership targets implicit in The Game Plan

Last edited:

taipan

Referee
For previous two years the nrl has employed two people for each club to drive memberships. They were centrally based from how it reads. This year those roles have been handed to the clubs themselves according to the annual report.

» The centralised membership sales organisation was created to pursue the membership targets implicit in The Game Plan

So part of the inflated NRL admin costs prevailing ATT prior to the new Tv deal.It's all beginning to add up.

taipan

Referee
No this $2mill annual expense sits in a different Line item of “football”, but good try lol

So it's still an expense for the NRL then, not the individual clubs.A cost that reflects in the past P&Ls.
A cost is a cost whether it hangs from the ceiling or sits under a shady tree.Just saying.

Perth Red

Post Whore
There’s a difference between nrl running costs and nrl admin costs, as you well understand lol