What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 R4 Thu - Sydney 16-22 Penrith @ Allianz

Round 4: Sydney v Penrith

• Sydney Roosters

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Penrith Panthers

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
Download or read 'The Front Row' match programme HERE

SYD-2024-MAIN.png
PEN-2024-SECOND.png

NRL 2024 - Round 4
Sydney Roosters v Penrith Panthers
Allianz Stadium, Moore Park / Gadigal (TICKETS)

Thursday 28 March 2024
NRL kickoff 8:00pm AEDT.

Broadcast on Nine, 9Now, Fox, Kayo.

SYDNEY2024.png

1. James Tedesco 2. Daniel Tupou 3. Joseph-Aukuso Suaalii 4. Joseph Manu 5. Dominic Young 6. Luke Keary 7. Sam Walker 8. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves 9. Brandon Smith 10. Terrell May 11. Nat Butcher 12. Sitili Tupouniua 13. Victor Radley 14. Connor Watson 15. Naufahu Whyte 16. Egan Butcher 17. Angus Crichton 18. Michael Jennings 19. Siua Wong 20. Fetalaiga Pauga 21. Zach Dockar-Clay 22. Dylan Napa

Out: Sandon Smith (five-eighth), Lindsay Collins (front row)
In: Luke Keary (five-eighth), Egan Butcher (bench), Michael Jennings (bench), Siua Wong (bench), Junior Pauga (reserve), Zach Dockar-Clay (reserve), Dylan Napa (reserve)
Changes: Terrell May (bench to front row)

PENRITH2024.png

1. Dylan Edwards 2. Sunia Turuva 3. Izack Tago 4. Taylan May 5. Brian To'o 6. Jarome Luai 7. Brad Schneider 8. Moses Leota 9. Mitch Kenny 10. Lindsay Smith 11. Luke Garner 12. Liam Martin 13. Isaah Yeo 14. Daine Laurie 15. Matt Eisenhuth 16. Liam Henry 17. Mavrik Geyer 18. Soni Luke 19. Jack Cole 20. Ativalu Lisati 21. Paul Alamoti 22. Tyrone Peachey

Out: Nathan Cleary (halfback), Scott Sorensen (second row)
In: Brad Schneider (halfback), Mavrik Geyer (bench), Soni Luke (bench), Jack Cole (bench), Ativalu Lisati (reserve), Paul Alamoti (reserve), Tyrone Peachey (reserve)
Changes: Luke Garner (bench to second row)

A-REF-BW-2023TEAM.png

Referee: Adam Gee
Sideline Officials: Dave Munro, Chris Sutton
Video Referee: Chris Butler

---

H2H since 1967: 99 matches, Sydney 56 Penrith 42, drawn 1
Allianz: 1 match, Penrith 1 Sydney 0
Last met: 2023 R15 - Penrith 30-6, Allianz

Biggest wins:
Sydney 42-6 (2013, R21 at Centrebet)
Penrith 48-4 (2023, R11 at Bluebet)

Next game:
R5: Canterbury v Sydney, Allianz
R5: Manly v Penrith, 4 Pines​

Last edited:

Woody90

Juniors
I think Penrith.

Difficult to know what to make of the Roosters so far. They looked pretty good on the weekend but Souths also didn’t even try so a bit hard to tell.

borisdog

Juniors
Game of the round. I hope they both knock the stuffing out of each other, everyone gets reported and it's a draw.

Hate 'em both.

Danish

Referee

soc123_au

Staff member
narrator: “but something WAS about to change…”

I still think Penrith will win, but that’s some quality timing in those 2 posts
Yeah, both sides with some big guns missing which is a shame. Should be a good game still.

Panther Mike

Juniors
Roosters will be favoured to beat us without Cleary, Soro, Fish? due to their good recent form. They are starting the year well for a change it would seem..
Not much account will be taken of the fact they haven’t beaten us since 2019, since that streak has to end one day unfortunately. I’m not sure what to expect from Schneider but if he can do a job like SOS and Cogger have done is previous seasons, then we have a fair chance due to our defence and solid systems.

mxlegend99

Referee
Full strength i like our chances. More concerned by not having Fish and Sorensen than Cleary.

Havent seen anything of Schnieder since he left the Raiders. But I expect he is more than capable of executing the game plan to a decent standard. Cogs and SOS managed it.

Our pack concerns me though. it was solid against Broncos. Maybe the plodder bench is starting to improve. But a pack with the likes of Eisenhuth, Henry, Smith and a rookie Mav Geyer who Ivan seemingly rates below Eisenhuth isnt going to intimidate many sides.

Valheru

Coach
Last year Nathan was out in this game, pretty sure you guys started as favourite and got flogged.

Schneider is better then Cogger
That was the 2nd game which was still a comfortable panthers victory however this isn't the same roosters team as 2023 in terms of form, attitude and personnel, not even close.

In that game our backline was Teddy, Tupou, Allen, Hutchison, Pauga. This time it will likely be Teddy, Tupou, Sualli'i, Manu, Young. Considering the form of Teddy, that is a drastic upgrade.

yobbo84

First Grade
Cleary or not, I think this game will give us a better indication of where the Roosters are at.

Broncos have been poo, Souths appalling, and they lost to the Sea Eagles, so this will be a better barometer, I think.

Valheru

Coach
Cleary or not, I think this game will give us a better indication of where the Roosters are at.

Broncos have been poo, Souths appalling, and they lost to the Sea Eagles, so this will be a better barometer, I think.

What would you say is more impressive?

Brisbane (W)
Manly (L)
Souths (W)

vs

Storm (L)
Parra (W)
Brisbane (W)

Brisbane is the common opponent although I would strongly argue our win the more impressive one as it was a neutral venue and Brisbane had Haas, Reynolds and Walsh playing.

Losing to storm and Manly away is pretty similar IMO

Beating Parra is more impressive than souths

Fangs

Coach
Will be nice to actually watch a competitive game between the Roosters and Panthers for a change. Penrith have won the last 8 encounters.

Penrith still win in the forwards but the Roosters backline has looked pretty good this year. Without Cleary we lack a bit of potency but still have the best defence by a mile in the NRL. Hopefully keep it to a low scoring game.

Valheru

Coach
Will be nice to actually watch a competitive game between the Roosters and Panthers for a change. Penrith have won the last 8 encounters.

Penrith still win in the forwards but the Roosters backline has looked pretty good this year. Without Cleary we lack a bit of potency but still have the best defence by a mile in the NRL. Hopefully keep it to a low scoring game.
Overall yes

Goalline defence though ours is better and was better in 2023. That's not trying to put Penrith down, just a statistical fact. Having said that Penrith rarely let opposition close to the line whereas we seem to enjoy it.

Should be a good game anyways.

Fangs

Coach
Overall yes

Goalline defence though ours is better and was better in 2023. That's not trying to put Penrith down, just a statistical fact. Having said that Penrith rarely let opposition close to the line whereas we seem to enjoy it.

Should be a good game anyways.

You'll be needing it.