What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Rabbitohs Rumors, Signings and News

Hornby is the interim coach my little bird told me that rusty wanted hornby over Furner and the board room wanted Furner apparently rusty blew up and the board was not happy in rusty we trust!

callmack1

Staff member

Wow. Wow. Wow. I'm sure none of us are shocked this has finally happened, however, I must say that I am a little shocked it has happened tonight. After 7pm, 48 hours out from a game against the reining Premiers. I was thinking they'd wait until over the weekend, or at least sack him tomorrow but doing it tonight is pretty wild.

I admit, I feel a little relived after hearing we've actually pulled the trigger and done it, finally. Finally, our 'nice' club, has grown some balls and sacked him. If I'm honest, it's a decision that's long overdue and should have happened weeks ago. So I'm glad all the waiting and the guessing game of when he'll go can stop now and we can just focus on sorting out this mess.

As a person, I do feel sorry for JD, I really do. He seems like a wonderful guy and a quality human being. He doesn't deserve a lot of the shit that the media has dragged him through recently. I believe he genuinely tried his best; it just didn't work out. he gave it his all and it failed, that's life sometimes. Being a quality human being doesn't win you Footy games as we have seen over the last year, and this just had to happen. It's become untenable and we just can't go on like this. Something had to give, and JD had to go. There are many things that have contributed to our downfall, but I think JD is one of the biggest reasons. He has fostered and oversaw and environment for all that stuff to happen. The buck stops with the coach and he wasn't strong enough to control it. He's one of the biggest reasons why we're in this mess.

Thank you for your service JD and I wish you all the best.

It's now time to begin cleaning up this mess and sorting our club out piece by piece, day by day. Who knows how long that will take but today is a start.

Not sold on Hornby as the caretaker as he has partially overseen all the crap that has happened too but so be it, I hope he makes some changes.

I'm just sad. Not necessarily sad to see the back of JD, but sad that it's ever even got to this point.

Wow.

speedster

Juniors
I think Rusty insisted on Hornby taking over as interim while the rest of the board wanted Furner. But Rusty won through and I think it's the biggest hint yet that Wayne is on his way because Hornby has worked under Wayne and would be well placed to communicate with Wayne about changes for next year while Wayne coaches the year out at the Dolphins.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I actually thought Solly handled the presser as best he could. Interesting he mentioned Ello but not Schaefer.

Also took out of it that Jye will stay in the team and Pete and Duncan likely to get more game time soon.

Not sure saying we want Wayne along those lines not sure Wayne would like us saying that he kind of likes things behind closed doors… unless they’ve already decided and it is Wayne. Holbrook not an option surely not either Wayne or Madge if we don’t get Wayne surely

Rabbits20

Immortal
Ask Bulldogs general manager Phil Gould about the player market and he'll tell you it's never been more fluid. Salary caps that are bent out of shape can be straightened up easily enough, it's all about priorities.

Simply put, the Rabbitohs prioritised other players due to their misplaced faith in Lachlan Ilias to seamlessly take over the No.7 jersey and keep the premiership window wide open.

Ilias was just 21 when he was given that responsibility.

A cursory glance across the NRL is all that's needed to reaffirm what Andrew Johns has been saying about halfbacks for several years now: they don't mature until their mid to late twenties and they don't start to dominate until they turn 30.

The only game managing half who has effectively bucked that trend in the last five years has been Nathan Cleary and he's proving to be one in a million.

Despite Solly's reluctance to admit it, the Rabbitohs gambled the house on an unproven youngster and lost when they had one of the best halfbacks in the NRL in their grasp.

When that decision was first made Demetriou doubled down with a statement that raised eyebrows at the time and looks truly foolish now: Ilias would be "the best halfback the club has had in a long time".

Rabbits20

Immortal
now we have to rebuild what has happened we have mainly inflicted on ourselves by our management and this was one of a number of very poor decisions now the bed is made we lie in it and I said this was a big blunder at the time and it’s proven to be

Remember what I told you back then mate when we spoke about this @callmack1

speedster

Juniors
Looks like bennets in,hes told dolphins he wont stay as coaching director and he is interested in the souths job,i expect him signed soon
I'm trying not to count my chickens on this but it's great to hear something from the great man himself that is so positive.

callmack1

Staff member

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
I actually thought Solly handled the presser as best he could. Interesting he mentioned Ello but not Schaefer.

Also took out of it that Jye will stay in the team and Pete and Duncan likely to get more game time soon.

Not sure saying we want Wayne along those lines not sure Wayne would like us saying that he kind of likes things behind closed doors… unless they’ve already decided and it is Wayne. Holbrook not an option surely not either Wayne or Madge if we don’t get Wayne surely
Mamozuelos doesn't deserve more game time, he's done nothing to earn it.
And if he's the future after Cook, we will be adding this to the list of recruitment/scouting failures, and that list is getting longer by the week

callmack1

Staff member

Latest posts