What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

24 Hour NRL channel

undertaker

Coach
Boots n All worked well, I know it only lasted 4 years but its done better than most shows. I think Ch 9 wanted to go a different way so they introduced the Sunday Roast at the same time, a controversial corner type show, plenty of rants, raves and jokes.

Yeah, the introduction of the Sunday Roast spelt the beginning of the end for Boots n All. Too much time and effort for Vossy to produce and provide research for 2 separate shows during the week, let alone his commitments as full-time sideline commentator for Ch9, occasional fill-in caller for Ray Warren (this was before Ch9 introduced the 2 Friday night matches in 2007) and also he had a sports radio show on 2UE (don't know if he's still affiliated with them). As much as I miss Boots n' All and the player challenge segments they had such as the darts and ten-pin bowling, the Sunday Roast flourished bigtime in popularity and ratings when it was extended to an hour and Gus replaced Paul Kent.

Since Voss got dumped from 9, it wasn't the same.

This. And as I said, this is largely due to Hadley's rise in the good books of Gyngell, which started with the Ray Warren statue incident in 2011. Voss critcised it, Gyngell stood in favour of the statue and took sides with Hadley on the issue, and from that point onwards the writing was on the wall, which was only made evident the following year when Voss was demoted as caller of the QLD Friday night game to just calling the QLD Cup from a crapshack tent at a suburban ground, and was completely shafted from his roles as host of the Sunday Roast (replaced by Tim Gilbert) and his segment 'Stuff you may have missed' on the Footy Show (replaced by Big Marn). Imagine being demoted and replaced by the likes of Ray Hadley, Tim Gilbert and Darryl Brohman? I too would be pissed.

Just with that League Longue, I think it only lasted one year with Smith, Brandy, Renee, Brendan Cowell, the Sharks fan you're thinking off and also James Mathieson, former Channel V host. Originally Jessica Yates was the female but only lasted one episode. I thought it was good.

Correction, you are right. It was only for one year, in 2011. Love Brendan Cowell's rant on the AFL here:

Last edited:

Life's Good

Coach
How good is this Broncos Insider show...... FMD.
Yeah just saw it. Unfortunately. The idea, as mentioned by others, would be to have this sort of show dedicated to all the clubs & behind the scenes stories along the lines of Supercars Life. Broncos insider is a very poor attempt at Man U, Chelsea type TV.

roofromoz

First Grade
The 24 hour nrl channel is exactly how I thought it'd turn out to be. It was always going to be an evolution of what was already there (501 was virtually all rugby league anyway) and not a revolution.
I think along the way we'll see small changes along the way. It's currently the best rating channel on fox so you'd think they'd invest more into it

Just interested in what you guys thought it'd be like?

Thought there were would be more classic matches, and not replaying all the Daily Telegraph / Courier Mail shows 36 times a week.

Johnny88

Juniors
About 4am this morning they showed late nite wit Matty johns show again however it was last weeks episode?
I thought we would get nothing but classic game highlights but it's pretty much the same as last year except it was called fox sports 1.

Perth Red

Post Whore
it doesn't have Paul Kent on it so it's OK imo

Only a matter of time, Hindmarsh, finch, professor and fletch seem to be on every show at times. You have to check the info button to see which show it is given it's mostly the same people talking about the same things on them all.