What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd Test: New Zealand v Australia @ Hagley Oval Christchurch Mar 8-12, 2024

Meth

Staff member
Gutted, but you have to admire the tenacity from Australia. For a guy who gets a lot of heat, that’s a pretty special innings from Carey.

We are left to rue losing the toss, injuries, some pretty flaccid performances at times with ball and bat and some pretty questionable selections over the course of the series. It seems as if we were a batsman and a bowler short- that is, short a batsman who would convert a good innings into a great one and short a bowler who would keep sustained pressure on Australia from both ends.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Well done to both sides.

Great series what test cricket is all about a shame there isnt a 3rd Test.

I guess that gorilla on the Kiwis back just got bigger. Missed a big opportunity to clear some demons but its probably added to it now.

We are a strange team where we are rotating through the batting order with one off contributions from someone that keeps there spot but no one having any consistency in there game or in any decent form.

Scott Kuggleijn probably didnt deserve to be part of history-breaking win for NZ so maybe there is a bit of karma there.

I reckon if Wagner plays both tests would have different as Green/Hazelwood probs dont add crucial 116 runs in 1st Innings. And i reckon this test match another option when the game was on the line was crucial.

JJ

Immortal
Hope Southee was watching what a captain’s knock looks like

tbh time for him to retire, Henry outstanding and Jamieson, O’Rourke and Sears are the future

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Would have been better if Hazlewood hit the winning run, little more drama, but well played Kiwis really pushed us. Carey secures his spot for a while

bazza

Immortal
Would love to know what Smith, Marny & Head average in that time. Even Uzzy wouldn’t be too crash hot.
Apparently the top 3 ranked bats in tests in June last year were Labuschagne, Smith and Head

Current rankings have Smith at 3, Head 12 and Labuschagne 13

Fangs

Coach
Apparently the top 3 ranked bats in tests in June last year were Labuschagne, Smith and Head

Current rankings have Smith at 3, Head 12 and Labuschagne 13

If we take July 6th 2023 3rd Ashes test at Leeds (The date that Marsh came back into the 11):

Mitch Marsh: 10 tests at 46.87
Cameron Green: 5 tests at 45.85
David Warner: 6 tests at 37.33
Usman Khawaja: 10 tests at 33.84
Steven Smith: 10 tests at 33.64
Marnus Labuschagne: 10 tests at 31.27
Alex Carey: 10 tests at 27.13
Travis Head: 10 tests at 26.72

Talk about papering over the cracks. Individually every batsman has had their moments. But apart from the all-rounders our batting hasn't been up to scratch.

Some serious work to be done before the 5 test series against India later this year.

edabomb

First Grade
Hope Southee was watching what a captain’s knock looks like

tbh time for him to retire, Henry outstanding and Jamieson, O’Rourke and Sears are the future
Gary Stead would probably inject the Kugg as captain.

King-Gutho94

Coach
After today's win, another World Test Championship final between Australia and India is looking likely.

Had a look at the updated table and I'm not sure if any of the other 7 teams can push their way into the top 2 over the next 10 months of the current 2023-25 cycle:

Surely the WTC Final will be in India.

The BCCI will demand it.

Btw look like England get 3 tests in NZ next summer WTF.

Why couldn't we.

Anyway i hope the kiwis flog them 3-0 and Bazball cops another humiliation.

undertaker

Coach
Surely the WTC Final will be in India.

The BCCI will demand it.

Btw look like England get 3 tests in NZ next summer WTF.

Why couldn't we.

Anyway i hope the kiwis flog them 3-0 and Bazball cops another humiliation.
Lord's was confirmed as the venue for the 2025 Final when the decision was made back in September 2022:

However, from 2027 onwards, I wouldn't be surprised if the BCCI pushes hard to have the WTC Final hosted in India (regardless of whether India qualifies for it or not).