What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 2 1 vs Knights

Why do we have to take extreme polar opposing views on Holmes (Either he's God, or he's shit)?

Clearly he's an extraordinarily talented footballer. Elusive, quick enough without being lightning, a great finisher and capable of some pretty incredible individual plays. He's better than some of the trash we've had in that position by a country mile (Isaac Gordon, Matthew Wright) and a much winger than anyone else on the books in that position (Feki, Leutele, Gagan).

He does have a few downsides to his game. Defence isn't that great, he's no ball player, he's prone to a dumb decision and he's pretty mentally fragile (watch him disappear after a few errors, particularly if he bombs a try).

Do his downsides outweigh his attributes? No way. Can he improve? Yes way. Is he shit? No way.

1st line. Good question.
if he was treated like the average footballer he is, & his manager was not threatening every 5 seconds, & he was in & out of grade working on his deficiencies, i'd say there would be no extreme views.
But he isn't treated that way. Hes one of our highest paid young players. I saw him let 2 trys in & bomb 2 in the same game & he gets lauded while same people then have a crack at Gallen. Its head shakingly hard to fathom!

1st line. Good question.
if he was treated like the average footballer he is, & his manager was not threatening every 5 seconds, & he was in & out of grade working on his deficiencies, i'd say there would be no extreme views.
But he isn't treated that way. Hes one of our highest paid young players. I saw him let 2 trys in & bomb 2 in the same game & he gets lauded while same people then have a crack at Gallen. Its head shakingly hard to fathom!

Haha you are the master.

Put him in NSW Cup and bring who up? He is a mile better than that grade. He can work on his deficiencies in first grade, where he belongs.

bluefox68

Staff member
I'm with 'Frank D' - if we don't score, we don't win.

We now have 3 game-breakers - Holes, Bird, Barba. Yes, the first 2 have some errors, but they are still young. This season is revealing that they are going to be superstars. HOW LONG SINCE WE HAD SUPERSTARS AT THE CLUB???

How any of us can find a way to whinge after 15 wins in a row and having a real chance at winning the comp, is beyond me!

Gal may well become a legend in the same way that ET is. He deserves it.

Eion

First Grade
Yes, and 1 of his bombed tries was after running 60 metres, I'll take that. Sides are wary of him too which is allowing Bird to score more now. Val wasn't in my best yesterday for all that.

I see three zones:

1) The HumpFree Zone - the non believers
2) The Holmes is Where your Heart is Zone - the too true believers
And
3) The Calzone, neither here nor there.

Weaponhead

Coach
hahaha to me Feki is the textbook "average" winger. He gets his job done but ain't no superstar.

Agreed. Feki makes good yards and is a good close to the line finisher. He rarely creates anything and is suspect at best under the high ball. However, he is in form and doing the job.

Holmes has the flashy stuff, anticipation, footwork and acceleration. He is running much harder this year. His defensive decision making needs work and he drops out of the game at times.

Holmes is valuable because he can create an opportunity and gives the team long range strike power. It wasn't long ago the Sharks couldn't score outside the 20 metre zone. Holmes has helped change that and we are a far more dangerous side now.

Card Shark

Immortal
We still can't score from inside the 20....most if our tries come from outside the 20 I reckon.

We certainly struggle when the ball is played inside the 10.

Holmes is valuable because he can create an opportunity and gives the team long range strike power. It wasn't long ago the Sharks couldn't score outside the 20 metre zone. Holmes has helped change that and we are a far more dangerous side now.
OK lets suspend suplief in here for a second & go along with that. The most dangerous player in our back line is Holmes. Barba is NOT the long range or short range instigator. Bird is not the strike weapon this year & all of Holmes trys are on the back of his own brilliant work. Beale was NOT the instigator of any of Holmes trys last year & Holmes created the trys out of nothing. LAst year we were scoring long range trys & that was all due to Holmes.
Yesterdays game did not see Barba score 3 long range trys , Feki score 2 long range trys or Bird score trys created from nothing. No, it was all Holmes.
& that is why he is in everybodies 3-2-1 He doesnt even have to be there to be awesome.

McLovin

Staff member
OK lets suspend suplief in here for a second & go along with that. The most dangerous player in our back line is Holmes. Barba is NOT the long range or short range instigator. Bird is not the strike weapon this year & all of Holmes trys are on the back of his own brilliant work. Beale was NOT the instigator of any of Holmes trys last year & Holmes created the trys out of nothing. LAst year we were scoring long range trys & that was all due to Holmes.
Yesterdays game did not see Barba score 3 long range trys , Feki score 2 long range trys or Bird score trys created from nothing. No, it was all Holmes.
& that is why he is in everybodies 3-2-1 He doesnt even have to be there to be awesome.

Absolute dribble