What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd Test: South Africa v India at New Wanderers Jan 24-28, 2018 - SA won series 2-1

TheParraboy

Staff member
On again tonight from 7pm

Can India jag one back? Unlikely I think

I think SA will be brutal this test, no more mucking around like the first 2 tests

3-0 coming up

vvvrulz

Coach
India chose to bat first, that's a bold call.

Rahane and Bhuvaneshwar back but I don't see them making much difference - they simply don't know how to bat here (Kohli aside)

vvvrulz

Coach
One down, and the fun begins early.

Morkel and Philander are on the money right away.

JJ

Immortal
They have a fine attack - and are probably the most adaptable quick bowling attack in the world - if it's green they're lethal, if it's hard and fast they ask questions, low and slow they adjust too, and on roads they will keep you honest

India 187 good innings from Pujara and Kohli

RSA 6/1 - they might regret not playing Bavuma instead of the extra pace bowler - not sure they needed 5, guess they miss Kallis - welcome to reality

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I'v got to say, SA actually didn't bowl that well in the first session. There were far too many balls that pujara and kohli could just leave outside offstump, with the way the ball was hooping and seaming India could have been 8/12.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
RSA 6/1 - they might regret not playing Bavuma instead of the extra pace bowler - not sure they needed 5, guess they miss Kallis - welcome to reality

JJ, Kallis played his final test before retirement in 2013, I think the Safrican team have adjusted to the reality of life without him by now. Bavuma is injured and not available, and with the series won, and an important series following this with Australia, Safrica imo were always going to play a quota player. Its not as though Chris Morris seized his opportunity in England last year. But Safrica oft switch between 6 batsmen incl de Kock, or 7 depending opposition and conditions. I think it has less to do with missing Kallis, and Philander just getting ill mid spell often.

That said, Phelukwayo has some batting chops, being used as an allrounder in ODI, and a pesty 30 from him won't be a surprise. He's not the meritorious selection going around,like Amla, Rabdada and maybe Lungi will soon become. But hopefully he gets there. Hopes for him becomming an allrounder and his quota spot definitely helped get him the nod over further bowling and batting options imo.

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
Sure a batsman then, I didn't realise Bavuma was hurt but I'm well aware of when Kalisz retired

Bit over so many teams playing very mediocre all rounders as a bat, Santner (or I guess like RSA a couple plus a keeper bat) Marsh etc

Latest posts