What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4th Test: Australia v India at Adelaide Jan 24-28, 2012

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
McDermott can take credit but he took over from Troy Coolley ffs. The only way from the lollipop man is up.

yappy

Bench
90% to Billy.
0% to the brown nosed dwarf

Pretty close. If Siddle and Hilf had bowled like they did in last year's Ashes I suspect we'd be struggling to hang on for draws at best. Whilst we've exposed them badly, these guys can still score big against rubbish bowling.

The immediate impact he has had on bowlers who could have been replaced by bowling machines has been incredible.

Too bad cough lollies is stinking up the junior talent now

undertaker

Coach
The immediate impact he has had on bowlers who could have been replaced by bowling machines has been incredible.

Too bad cough lollies is stinking up the junior talent now

So, was it actually true that England used breath mints on the ball during the 2005 Ashes, or was that just a rumour? (and if so, how much of an impact would it have on the ball?)

Leagueaddict

Juniors
So, was it actually true that England used breath mints on the ball during the 2005 Ashes, or was that just a rumour? (and if so, how much of an impact would it have on the ball?)

Ahhh it would make your balls smell minty :lol: sorry couldn't help myself!:D

undertaker

Coach
Pretty close. If Siddle and Hilf had bowled like they did in last year's Ashes I suspect we'd be struggling to hang on for draws at best. Whilst we've exposed them badly, these guys can still score big against rubbish bowling.

That was NEVER going to happen once they didn't have to bowl in tandem alongside a bowler (Johnson....*COUGH* *COUGH*) who completely took the pressure off with a plethora of bad balls. It completely negated any pressure they built up. When I was reading Sehwag's comment on how it's the best bowling lineup he's faced, I laughed at it as I could tell he was clearly making reference to Johnson in the article and hoped that he would play so that was one bowler the Indians could easily score runs off.

Last edited:
Well Cooley says he didn't order it but as Tretcothik put it was "well known" that certain sweets enhanced saliva which means it would keep the ball shiny for longer. They extracted some ridiculous swing that series. It happened though.

I played with a captain who shined the ball for hours with mr sheen, it did nothing.

Horrie Is God

First Grade
A big part of the bowlers success goes to McDermott..

Turning Hify & Sidds around has been nothing short of magic..

Not having Johnson ruining the ball within 6 overs has also been helpful..

undertaker

Coach
Well Cooley says he didn't order it but as Tretcothik put it was "well known" that certain sweets enhanced saliva which means it would keep the ball shiny for longer. They extracted some ridiculous swing that series. It happened though.

I played with a captain who shined the ball for hours with mr sheen, it did nothing.

So, would you constitute that as cheating? (and if it is, how would you be able to detect whether "other substances" besides saliva are on the ball if you're an umpire? It's not like they smell the ball or anything like that) I'm no expert on the concept of reverse swing and how it works, so that's why I ask. All I know England is the ideal place for swing bowling, but have never understood why.

Last edited:
It's a fine line but he had munched on the lollies for the purpose of shining the ball. Lots of stuff like that would happen though. I think it was Craddock who called it cheating in an article.

I think most people use it more to dismiss Cooley's credentials though.

yappy

Bench
That was NEVER going to happen once they didn't have to bowl in tandem alongside a bowler (Johnson....*COUGH* *COUGH*) who completely took the pressure off with a plethora of bad balls. It completely negated any pressure they built up. When I was reading Sehwag's comment on how it's the best bowling lineup he's faced, I laughed at it as I could tell he was clearly making reference to Johnson in the article and hoped that he would play so that was one bowler the Indians could easily score runs off.

Lack of Johnson is obviously a massive help, but Siddle and Hilf were bowling short and wide on their own. Billy has rewired their brains to get them pitching fuller and straighter.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Kohli playing well. He's got a few things going for him that India's dad's army lacks. He's good between wickets (and in the field). And he's adaptable. He may not make a big score here or have a long career but Indian selectors should see how he has progressed in this series and pick their team based on youth.

Spanner in the works

First Grade
I'd nearly go as far to say that dropping Johnson was the key factor in all of this. We just could not build pressure with Johnson in the team. Ever. A good over from Siddle or Bollinger would be completely undone by Johnson's wayward balls. If you can defend 6 balls in a row, which most Test class batsman can, then you are going to be set for the next over where you can score run after run.

Meth

Staff member
Kohli has hardly set the world on fire in this tour, but he's been the best of the Indians. Says a lot about this rabble really.

Nice 50 (from what I've seen)

aussies1st

Staff member
I'd nearly go as far to say that dropping Johnson was the key factor in all of this. We just could not build pressure with Johnson in the team. Ever. A good over from Siddle or Bollinger would be completely undone by Johnson's wayward balls. If you can defend 6 balls in a row, which most Test class batsman can, then you are going to be set for the next over where you can score run after run.

Also has helped with the swing. We usually got the new ball to swing but once Johnson came on where struggled to get it going.

Latest posts