What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

9s World Cup within next 3 years.

T-Boon

Coach
I'd like to see the NRL clubs left out of it (including the feeder clubs). Maybe a Super League run 9s comp where they invite anyone who can put a team together (Aboriginal All stars, PNG Hunters, PNG Kumuls, Perth Pirates) but specifically ban NRL clubs. The NRL clubs screw everything they touch.

T-Boon

Coach
Should be sixball rugby league. Nines feels NRLish and with six a side the space and pace would be on show. Encourages a passing and skills game instead of five drives the nrl nines seemed to much like tens rugby too many people on the park.

Nines is fine. Though you are right with all the space laterally they still take way too many easy metre hit ups. The rule change nines needs is to allow three markers who are allowed to defend anywhere behind the advantage line (i.e. along the advantage line). This will cut out the easy metre somewhat. Though if you are clever around the ruck you will still be able to take advantage.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Should be sixball rugby league. Nines feels NRLish and with six a side the space and pace would be on show. Encourages a passing and skills game instead of five drives the nrl nines seemed to much like tens rugby too many people on the park.

Nah, 9 forces them to break the line rather than just running around the defence...

Id like to see them introduce a zero-tackle rule (similar to a 40/20 or tackled ingoal) if they run a certain distance or cross a line.

It would incentivise expansive ballplaying and punish conservative football. I think something like this should be introduced into RL (its clearly meant to work in tandem with the limited tackles rule), 9s would be the place to trial it and see how it goes.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Am I the only one who thinks 9s is a waste of time?

I would rather them focus on proper 13 a side League than this gimmicky stuff which given the past sevens and Auckland 9s tournament I cant see it having a long term future.

But hay, at least they are trying something and if it drives revenue then I say go for it

I think its great...

Gives emerging nations an easier path into the comp (easier to find 9 decent players than 13) and the chaos of it gives under-dogs a decent chance to steal wins. Club 9s probably wont last but its perfect for international football.

KokoRugbyLeague

Juniors
All plans are nice just do not want to be put through with nine hours of melbourne storm 101. That kills it for me, when every nation should encouraged to play their style.

T-Boon

Coach
All plans are nice just do not want to be put through with nine hours of melbourne storm 101. That kills it for me, when every nation should encouraged to play their style.

Thats why I think there needs to be a world coaching academy for coaches to come through a system that is not the NRL. Sadly the NRL coaching system is basically ruined by the cancerous Stormology of the grub Bellamy. All that matters in the NRL is winning and the integrity of the game be damned. We need separation from that.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Why would a 9s tournament go over 2 months?

Hopefully that just means 2 weekends but if they stage it instead of the Lions Tour then that means the full Australian side won't play again until 2020, if they continue with the bullshit year off next year.

The RLPA signed a new agreement with the ARLC last week where the players have become full partners of the game. Todd Greenberg stated that they players are now shoulder the responsibility of promoting the game. I wonder if this will put an end to Kangaroo rest years - because those rest years were stipulations of the RLPA in the first place.

http://www.nospam47.com/au/league/n...eal-salary-cap-2018/gto9d1ep9eup10swpg6fmtitn

Springs09

Juniors
The RLPA signed a new agreement with the ARLC last week where the players have become full partners of the game. Todd Greenberg stated that they players are now shoulder the responsibility of promoting the game. I wonder if this will put an end to Kangaroo rest years - because those rest years were stipulations of the RLPA in the first place.

http://www.nospam47.com/au/league/n...eal-salary-cap-2018/gto9d1ep9eup10swpg6fmtitn

To the majority of the NRL it seems 'the game' = 'the NRL'.

I've never seen the point of these rest years. Ignoring the fact that it puts international footy last, behind bloody pre-season training even, I don't know why we retire the whole team for a year because of 5-10 players. There's tens of thousands of players in the country that would kill to play for Australia, but Smith and Thurston are a bit tired so let's rob everyone of the chance.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

I've never seen the point of these rest years. Ignoring the fact that it puts international footy last, behind bloody pre-season training even, I don't know why we retire the whole team for a year because of 5-10 players. There's tens of thousands of players in the country that would kill to play for Australia, but Smith and Thurston are a bit tired so let's rob everyone of the chance.

I agree that you could fill and Australian team 1000 times over but I think you'll find all players in the NRL and probably NSW and QLD cup are covered by the Player's Union agreement (TBH I don't know if member ship is mandatory) so they would all be united in the 'rest year' even if they wanted to play.

What I don't understand is, does it only cover Australian players? Because English NRL and NZ NRL players still play in the rest year. Or, maybe the rest is optional. Although I hate the rest year, I wouldn't like to see a 6th string Australian side running around in Kangaroos jersey - it chepens the history and is just as bad for the international game's creditbility.

I just hope the new agreement puts an end to it either way. The players are now partners in the game - get out and play and promote the game at all levels, including the pinnacle of Australian Rugby League - the Kangaroos. And I use the word pinnacle deliberately, it is harder to make the Kangaroo starting lineup than it is to make the NSW, QLD or any NRL team starting lineup - it is the pinnacle.

Springs09

Juniors
I agree that you could fill and Australian team 1000 times over but I think you'll find all players in the NRL and probably NSW and QLD cup are covered by the Player's Union agreement (TBH I don't know if member ship is mandatory) so they would all be united in the 'rest year' even if they wanted to play.

What I don't understand is, does it only cover Australian players? Because English NRL and NZ NRL players still play in the rest year. Or, maybe the rest is optional. Although I hate the rest year, I wouldn't like to see a 6th string Australian side running around in Kangaroos jersey - it chepens the history and is just as bad for the international game's creditbility.

I just hope the new agreement puts an end to it either way. The players are now partners in the game - get out and play and promote the game at all levels, including the pinnacle of Australian Rugby League - the Kangaroos. And I use the word pinnacle deliberately, it is harder to make the Kangaroo starting lineup than it is to make the NSW, QLD or any NRL team starting lineup - it is the pinnacle.

It doesn't cover any players, it only covers the Australian 'team'.

I'd rather see amateur players play for Australia rather than players we steal from other countries, like Radradra. You might say it cheapens the jersey but I say elite players whinging about having to play in it every year and not getting paid enough for it cheapens it far worse. Maybe it would be good for the game to see players as passionate about playing for Australia as the Fijians are for Fiji.

It's not like it would be a '6th string side' anyway. It would be Australia without the automatic picks.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
It doesn't cover any players, it only covers the Australian 'team'.

I'd rather see amateur players play for Australia rather than players we steal from other countries, like Radradra. You might say it cheapens the jersey but I say elite players whinging about having to play in it every year and not getting paid enough for it cheapens it far worse. Maybe it would be good for the game to see players as passionate about playing for Australia as the Fijians are for Fiji.

It's not like it would be a '6th string side' anyway. It would be Australia without the automatic picks.

Agree about players whinging about having to play cheapens the jersey and the international game.

I'm interested in the agreement covering the Australian team - would that literally mean anyone who is eligible to play for the Kangaroos (likely or not)? It's not like cricket where the ARLC has centrally contracted Kangaroos players.

adamkungl

Immortal
The problem would easily be solved by staggering long-serving rep players leave over the 3 years in between World Cups. Kangaroos would lose nothing by having 4 players sit out a tour each year.

Springs09

Juniors
Agree about players whinging about having to play cheapens the jersey and the international game.

I'm interested in the agreement covering the Australian team - would that literally mean anyone who is eligible to play for the Kangaroos (likely or not)? It's not like cricket where the ARLC has centrally contracted Kangaroos players.

I'm only assuming it only covers the Australian team, as plenty of NRL players play for England and NZ during those years and plenty of Australian-eligible players under the RLPA played in the World Cup Qualifiers in 2015 for various teams.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Yeh, there is $50k-ish per match on offer. Maybe the millionaires arent interested, but im sure there are a few players willing to turn up...

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

I don think you would get a 6th string team...

You would get half of the regular Roos team and the other half made up of the players who cant quite break into the full strength team.

Then, just claim the rest were injured or just not selected for poor form....

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I don think you would get a 6th string team...

You would get half of the regular Roos team and the other half made up of the players who cant quite break into the full strength team.

Then, just claim the rest were injured or just not selected for poor form....

Yeah I agree with what you say about the likely make up of the Kangaroos side minus the 'tired' stars. I was just exaggerating because I was venting - it would be nowhere near a 6th string side - I just think it feels that way when you have the game's biggest names pull-out because they are the ones that get the public interested the most.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Club 9s and world 9s can coexist if it's done every other year like you said earlier in the thread

Unless NRL9s finds something special to offer (NRL vs SL vs Wildcard club), it is just a shittier version of the regular season...

RL9s is great, but the current Auckland 9s format wont last purely through falling interest.