What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A budding Maroon is true Blue

Serc

First Grade
One question: Do you know what the eligibility rules were at the time of Moore's selection and whether his selection contravened any? Try Googling that!

No idea mate...I know what the eligibility rules are now, but have no idea if they were different in the late 80's when he was selected.

Anyone else know?

Binga

Juniors
This is why the rules are f*cked. People are basically just choosing which state to play for, or if one state picks them they will keep their mouth shut just so they can play Origin footy.

The rules need to be simple. You can only represent the state you were born in. If you were born on holidays. Tough luck. If you don't like the state you were born in, sh*t happens. If you weren't born in NSW or QLD. Good luck trying to make the Australian side.

Those rules might not be perfect, but it's better then what we currently have. It's called State of Origin and half the players for both teams aren't born in NSW, QLD or in some cases Australia.

I was only thinking the exact same thing today. For the good of the international game this idea should be at least considered. This way state of origin will really would be between the best players in league and the international competition would become alot stronger. Players like Hunt can choose to play for NZ and still play state of origin. Hayne and Petro can play for Fiji if the wish etc. I'm sure that people will be against this, but i feel that if the international scene is imporved, it will only have onflowing positive effects for Rugby league around the world.

Binga

Juniors
WTF??? :crazy:
he's NSW, but are you androtops still carrying on about inglis?
FFS let it go, i'm embarrassed for all of you:oops:

I'm pretty sure that the original post was refering to Adrian Lam, not Terry Lamb.

Big Time

Juniors
You might want to check em then. Wayne Bartrim played his first senior football with the Gold Coast Seagulls. Physically located south of the border at Tweed yes, but officially a QLD club.

You also forgot the fact that Inglis grew up supporting QLD.

Inglis supported QLD. What does this have to do with eligibility?? He played his first senior football in NSW, and given he grew up in NSW, he is a blue through and through. This has always really irked me how he has been able to play for QLD. Makes a mockery of the system.

Fraser

Shouldn't you be referring to yourself in the 3rd person? As in - Fraser has no idea?

Inglis supporting QLD when he grew up gives him the all clear to play for Queensland in Origin?

Why aren't Hodges and Thaiday playing for NSW under your criteria?

Big Time

Juniors
I was only thinking the exact same thing today. For the good of the international game this idea should be at least considered. This way state of origin will really would be between the best players in league and the international competition would become alot stronger. Players like Hunt can choose to play for NZ and still play state of origin. Hayne and Petro can play for Fiji if the wish etc. I'm sure that people will be against this, but i feel that if the international scene is imporved, it will only have onflowing positive effects for Rugby league around the world.

Hayne and Petro totally different to Hunt. Both have always lived in Australia. Hunt should have been told to f*ck off back across the ditch. Whole point of NSW vs QLD is exactly that, NSW vs QLD. Where do you stop, do you let POMS play SOO. They just have to look at everything on a case by case basis. If someone moves here from Fiji as a two year old, they obviously consider themselves Australian. Hunt was 15 before he came here, he should have been told play for NZ or no one. Australia did not need him, talk about improving international league, prime example of taking a step backwards.

Big Time

Juniors
Inglis supporting QLD when he grew up gives him the all clear to play for Queensland in Origin?

Rules are simple. Your state is wherever you play your first senior grade football. Easy as that. There is no grey area.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Inglis supported QLD. What does this have to do with eligibility?? He played his first senior football in NSW, and given he grew up in NSW, he is a blue through and through. This has always really irked me how he has been able to play for QLD. Makes a mockery of the system.

Fraser said:

Frank_Grimes said:
Not questioning eligibility. I'm questioning the OP's notion (one I believe you share) that Inglis took the first Origin offer that was thrown his way in order to advance his career. He has stated that he always followed QLD and wanted to play for them.

Idiots need to learn how to read.

Shorty

Staff member
It's always handy when someone makes a spelling mistake if you've got nothing ...
Actually I had 'something' and explained it pretty easily back in the thread.
But if you can't see the irony in someone pointing out lack of intelligence when they can't spell themselves, oh well.

What Inglis wants has everything to do with this... If someone who has moved between states like Inglis is up for origin selection he should be able to chose which state he gets to play for. State of origin is about passion for your state so why would you New South Welshman want to force Inglis to play for a team he doesn't want to play for? A state of Origin forcing players to play against the state they love would just be stupid- how would you like to be forced to play for Queensland if you were loyal to New South Wales? You surely wouldn't play as passionately as if you were on the other side. The selection rule is no different to any other rule in that commonsense should always be applied to it.

El Diablo

Post Whore
What Inglis wants has everything to do with this... If someone who has moved between states like Inglis is up for origin selection he should be able to chose which state he gets to play for..

it has nothing to do with it

there are crystal clear rules. it's where you play your first senior football over the age of 16

if they don't want to play for the State they are eligible for under the rules then they can chose not to be selected ever

Dazzat

First Grade
if it worked that way you wanted then they would have drop the Origin title. they may as well now actually

it would die a quick death

Yes, let's just de-rail the NRL's cash cow right now ... just because of one player. Let's forget about all the other players who play Origin.:crazy:

if it worked that way you wanted then they would have drop the Origin title. they may as well now actually

it would die a quick death

I meant only for cases similar to Inglis' not for anyone who decides to go against their state. Besides I'm sure you don't have to worry as they aren't going to listen to me.

El Diablo

Post Whore
I meant only for cases similar to Inglis' not for anyone who decides to go against their state. Besides I'm sure you don't have to worry as they aren't going to listen to me.

what :?

Inglis should be allowed to play for Queensland despite it being a clear breach of the rules but others should not be given the same choice?

Inglis has spent 5 minutes of his life in Queensland. first went there in 03 and left in 05

nobody should be given a choice to what state they want to represent

Latest posts