What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL regional veiwership now as large as NRL's ??

Raiderdave

First Grade
since ratings were reasonably acurately reported on regionaltam & other sources
NRL's regional ratings were usually double those of the AFL"s

mainly due to the fact there were double the number people living in regional areas in NSW /QLD & the ACT
5.8 Million
to 2.9 Million in country VIC , WA, SA & TAS

last nights ratings had 256K watching the Tigers & Broncos
while the AFL's tally was

in last years grand finals
1.3 Million Watched the NRL in the regionals
1.250 Million watched the AFL

do ratings reporters suddenly think we're going to believe in the space of a year the ratings for the 2 codes in the non metro markets are on par
when its almost impossible for this to be the case purely due to the populations ??

mainly due to the fact there were double the number people living in regional areas in NSW /QLD & the ACT
5.8 Million

do ratings reporters suddenly think we're going to believe in the space of a year the ratings for the 2 codes in the non metro markets are on par
when its almost impossible for this to be the case purely due to the populations ??
There are many questions as to how in a short space of time regional rating for fumbleball have soared.
I my opinion they are probably counting regional numbers the same way they count home crowds for Midget, thuns and kittens home games

El Diablo

Post Whore
why the surprise?

the NRL has neglected the bush for years and the AFL has taken advantage of it by doing the opposite

colly

Juniors

5.8 Million

The statistics NSW/QLD/ACT regional at 5.6 million
vic/sa/wa/all tas all NT at 3.1 million

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/3218.0
Close enough to your figures, so i can't figure it out.
Yesterday I saw a report that regional numbers for compiling ratings were going up from 1750 to 5000. Sorry i cant find the link
Look at this map of WIN TV network
http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2017/05/win-completes-deal-for-southern-cross-northern-nsw.html
We gotta get a deal with WIN/TEN

Last edited:

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Has a bit to do with WIN and channel 9 fall out.. i think WIN is essentially ch 10 in a lot of towns now..

And Ch 10 lead in programs to the NRL game, are weaker..

Also i have heard that we got away with a bit of double counting over the past 10 years.. with places like gold coast, wollongong.. where people can tune into ch 9 from brisbane and sydney as well as local regional affiliate..

user_nat

Coach
Has a bit to do with WIN and channel 9 fall out.. i think WIN is essentially ch 10 in a lot of towns now..

And Ch 10 lead in programs to the NRL game, are weaker..

Also i have heard that we got away with a bit of double counting over the past 10 years.. with places like gold coast, wollongong.. where people can tune into ch 9 from brisbane and sydney as well as local regional affiliate..
The lead in to NRL games is still Channel 9 content. All that happened was Nine and 10s content swapped channel numbers.

taipan

Referee
Isn't it all tied in with Bruce Gordon's WIN losing out with chNein taking the NRL,and the regionals are thus affected dramatically for the NRL.
Think Roy Masters made the point when it happened, this would be the effect.