What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL Round 15

CyberKev

Staff member
Hmmm... Three big matches this weekend could go a long way toward sorting out the finals jigsaw puzzle.

FRIDAY JULY 11 ACST

Adelaide vs Essendon
AAMI Stadium 7:40 PM ACST

The first of the major games for the weekend pits a revived Bombers outfit against an Adelaide side desperate to maintain its spot in the four. Essendon has looked surprisingly good over the last fortnight, but hasn't travelled well over the past couple of years and should find this game beyond them. A loss here would have serious consequences for the home side, which has possibly the toughest run home of any side in the competition. Even when Essendon has been an elite side it has found the going tough in the City of Churches and given the likelihood of being belted in the middle, its difficult to see the red & blacks winning enough quality ball to threaten the Crows defence... Crows by 36 pts

SATURDAY JULY 12 AEST

Collingwood vs Fremantle
Melbourne Cricket Ground 2:10 PM AEST

The second of the big three... Freo was great in dispensing of the Premiers at home last weekend, but will find the going even tougher here. Collingwood has endured an emotional week with club great, Bob Rose, passing away (a big loss to the footballing world). In light of this, it is almost impossible to see them losing here. Still, if Rocca plays one of his patented flat games then Freo will be in with a big show. Freo is the more talented side, but Collingwood is still harder at it and should be too steady in Melbourne... Magpies by 24 pts

Richmond vs Geelong
Telstra Dome 2:10 PM AEST

Form says Geelong here, with the Cats turning in a huge performance to upset the flag favourites at home last weekend. The Cats have a solid vein of young talent at the club, but it is still so raw that the club will struggle to beat any oposition if its workrate is anything less than 110%. In many ways they are like the poor man's Collingwood, but lacking the Magpies steadiness and experience in key areas. Richmond has been its usual dismal self this season and its little wonder that membership levels remain so subpar at the club when the team is synonymous with insipid performances. That being said, I have a sneaking feeling that the Tigers will break their long slump here and keep the club's slim finals hopes alive. Geelong has the greater heart and potential, but Richmond should have enough wise heads to get over the line with its season the line... Tigers by 18 pts

Sydney vs St Kilda
Sydney Cricket Ground 7:10 PM AEST

How bad were the Saints last weekend? The guts is quickly falling out of their season and Cornflakes Thomas is again under the pump with the side absolutely no chance of making the finals, despite promising much earlier in the year. They'll fancy their chances here, as every side should against Sydney, although the Swans have developed a sense of belief that defies the limited talent on show and that'll be enough to get them home here. The red & whites have a Collingwoodesque resolve that when coupled with a neat overall pace level is winning them games they have no right to be winning. I suspect they'll get smacked-up big time in the Finals, but at least they'll be there... Swans by 26 pts

West Coast vs Carlton
Subiaco 5:40 PM AWST

YAAAWN! Games don't come any less exciting than this one with the Eagles set to demolish the battling Blues at Fortress Subi. I suspect the Eagles are facing the same sad finals fate as Sydney, as they look well equipped to negotiate a home & away campaign okay (particularly with such a massive home ground advantage), but the side structure hardly inspires. The Eagles midfield is solid, but not sensational and the forward line lacks depth and potency. It matters little here, as the blue & gold's could play cardboard cutouts across half back and still restrict Carlton to a losing score. The summer nonsense talk of Carlton still having enough top-end talent to make the eight has been exposed as fantasy stuff and the club has long years of rebuilding ahead of it. On most occasions the Blues have been able to grind it out for three quarters of a game, but I sense a hiding of epic proportions could be on the cards... Eagles by 80 pts

SUNDAY JULY 13 AEST

Brisbane Lions vs Hawthorn
Gabba 1:10 PM AEST

The last of the big three games for the weekend. Brisbane has destroyed Hawthorn and everything it ever loved on the last two Hawk visits to the northern capital, but I sense a change of fortune is on the wind. The Brisbane players are looking akin to the fattened Roman Senators before the Barbarians tore their playhouse down, and will also be the latest side to face the dreaded Subi curse. Sure the Lions look strong on paper, but does the side still have what it takes to roll talented and hungry opposition? The Hawks are rapidly regaining form and confidence to the point of resembling the side that was rudely robbed of a GF berth in 2001. The team is fitter than the Lions, faster than the Lions and will win the air battle comfortably. Its the little matters of skill and strength that complicate the equation here, but the Hawks have been the best tackling side all season and have been in the top three of every major category over the past month. Hawk fans haven't dared bandy around the F word for fear of jinxing the team, but I suspect they'll be letting loose with it come 4pm Sunday arvo... Hawks by 19 pts

Kangaroos vs Melbourne
Melbourne Cricket Ground 2:10 PM AEST

I don't mind the Roos and I admire their spirit, but I've been deathriding the club all year (they're just not a particularly good side) and it was only a matter of time before they proved me correct. They're gone the blue & whites, as brave as they have been, because in the end talent will win out every time and the club just doesn't have enough of it. The Pie massacre will have sorely dented confidence at the club and the loss of key man Harvey to suspension will screw with the players' heads even further. Melbourne are hardly a super side and was very fortunate to get over a painfully weak Carlton outfit last week. They'll have too much on the day for the Roos though and I suspect Neitz could just about win it off his own boot if he comes to play... Demons by 20 pts

Western Bulldogs vs Port Adelaide
Telstra Dome 2:10 PM AEST

Hmmm, this game hardly whets the appetite and could be memorable only for the sight of Port wearing the black & white "prison bar" strip in the AFL for a very rare time. Port will be champing at the bit to get back on the paddock after getting upset big time by the lowly Cats last week and will belt the Dogs all over the Park. The Bulldogs were embarrasing last week and should have been beaten by a triple figure margin. In fairness to the Hounds, they lack the tall timber and strong bodies to be seriously competitive in the competition, but even allowing for that their lack of accountability was unforgivable against the Hawks. Even more worrying for the Dogs was the fact that their key handful of players got heaps of the ball and yet the side never looked threatening. The club will win the wooden spoon this season, but with talk rife of several key players leaving and debts building-up the future looks gloomy for the battlers from the western suburbs. They'll be hard pressed winning another game all year and will be looking to keep the margin respectable here... Power by 62 pts

CyberKev

CyberKev

Staff member
The Way We Was

I've just been reminiscing over a video of Seven's Heart of the Game production from a couple of years ago and it seems to me that the game is not presented anywhere near as romantically in the media these days. The FOOTY SHOW has long been a pitiful production that's a blight on the sport and falls painfully short of the whimsical kitch that WORLD OF SPORT used to generate on its ear. Maybe I'm just growing old and cranky, but media coverage of the game just seems to be clinical and cold these days... As an aside, has there ever been an embarrassing public slip-up to match Sandy Robert's classic faux pas in introducing former Miss Australia, Leanne Dick as Leanne Cock??!! Methinks not.

Lighten up a bit fellas!

How bloody ordinary was the tribunals decision to out St Kilda's Steven Baker for tapping Essendon Tool, Steven Alessio, with his boot last weekend?! Sure kicking an opponent is an unedifying spectacle at any time, but it barely qualified as a kick and when a big whoer is standing deliberately on your other foot what are you expected to do?! The three weeks that the tribunal originally handed down was just about the most ludicrous decision I've ever witnessed and I even found the revised 1 week holiday to be too severe! A joke for sure, but I don't see many people laughing.

Did you get your money on?

A month ago your lazy dollar could buy you odds of $126 on Hawthorn to win the 2003 flag and $61 on Shane Crawford to win a second Brownlow. Today that same dollar will get you the markedly reduced odds of $19 and $9 respectively... $19 may still prove generous for a side that will have its work cut out just making the eight, but I would have liked to have gotten on the Hawk captain at $61...

CyberKev

GBT

Juniors
Adelaide vs Essendon - Crows by 30

Collingwood vs Fremantle - Pies by 10

Richmond vs Geelong - Cats by 14

Sydney vs St Kilda - Swans by 20

West Coast vs Carlton - Eagles by a gazillion

Brisbane Lions vs Hawthorn - You probably won't thank me for this Kev; Hawks by 3

Kangaroos vs Melbourne - Norf by 30

Western Bulldogs vs Port Adelaide - Power by 15

CyberKev

Staff member
GBT said:
You probably won't thank me for this Kev; Hawks by 3

Actually I thank you very muchly, Gav...

If (when?) the Lions come out and tear us a new one I'll be able to take the heat off myself by declaring you the jinx :twisted:

As an aside... What gives with the censoring software on this site????

I mean to say, how is it I can type Dick (with a capital) and have it altered, while Cock (and we're not talking Le Coq Sportif here) gets through untouched in all its splendour???

Strange Days indeed... Most peculiar mama, whoa!

CyberKev

Cupid Stunt

Adelaide vs Essendon - Essendon
Collingwood vs Fremantle - Freo
Richmond vs Geelong - Geelong
Sydney vs St Kilda - Sydney
West Coast vs Carlton - West Coast
Brisbane Lions vs Hawthorn - Brisbane
Kangaroos vs Melbourne - Melbourne
Western Bulldogs vs Port Adelaide - Draw :lol:

CyberKev

Staff member
Cupid Stunt said:

Ah Cupid,

the world's gone belly-up out in the wild, wild, west, but with eternal optimists like yourself in their corner, I suspect the hapless Hounds may still be with us for some time yet :D

CyberKev

GBT

Juniors
CyberKev said:
GBT said:
You probably won't thank me for this Kev; Hawks by 3

Actually I thank you very muchly, Gav...

If (when?) the Lions come out and tear us a new one I'll be able to take the heat off myself by declaring you the jinx :twisted:

As an aside... What gives with the censoring software on this site????

I mean to say, how is it I can type d**k (with a capital) and have it altered, while Cock (and we're not talking Le Coq Sportif here) gets through untouched in all its splendour???

Strange Days indeed... Most peculiar mama, whoa!

CyberKev

Oh please no Kev, I have enough to bear with my Tigers jinx..... :(

I tried a dick a few weeks back, but a cock will do. :oops:

Kevin Dick played for Leeds RL back in the 70's early 80's. Wonder how he feels about his name being purged......

CyberKev

Staff member
GBT said:
Oh please no Kev, I have enough to bear with my Tigers jinx..... :(

I tried a d**k a few weeks back, but a cock will do. :oops:

Kevin d**k played for Leeds RL back in the 70's early 80's. Wonder how he feels about his name being purged......

Haha, probably the same as the Brazilian player with the unfortunate surname of f**k...

You can bet dollars to donuts that he would have gotten more than just a tad pissed-off with Westerners consistently feeling "a bit of a titter when [he DIDN'T] say the name Biggus Dickus"

As for the Tigers, you will be pleased to know that the club's 'brains trust' has got it totally sorted in the lead-up to this weekend's crunch clash with Geelong. Leaked information from the Punt Road bunker (aired in this morning's Weekend Australian) revealed that the coaching staff had crunched the numbers 10 ways short of Sundays to find that Geelong was ranked 16th in the comp for marks in defensive 50. Armed with this mind blowing data, Danny Frawley was then heard to breathlessly announce that the side's preferred option would be "to kick long to the goalsquare!" Presumably they would have ran with the 'dinky chain handballs and short kicks to the flanks' option if they hadn't done their research?! Phew, dodged a bullet there the boys :p

Why is it I've got images of scrambled sausages running through my head?

CyberKev

GBT

Juniors
Can't even say Dick Reynolds?

Good to know things are coming along at Punt Road now we have a 'Brains Trust'....... :? Presumably, the greatish era's of the 20's, 30's and 70's, were devoid of such bewilderment.

CyberKev

Staff member
Yeah Gav,

The news of another Richmond loss, coupled with the worrying news of the great Tom Hafey collapsing and being taken to hospital would certainly have the Tiger faithful long wistfully for the good old days.

They didn't tend to worry themselves with high falutin' gimmicks like stats in those days, but I'm thinking that the Tigers of 1973/74 would have been ranked number one in TKOs. You've got Collingwood next up... Perhaps the 'brains trust' could do worse than pencil in a TKO plan for this game, although that might be a bit creative for them. I think they're getting desperate enough to run with the old Gerard Neesham Freo special -- chip and charge... Tough times, but at least the Bombers got rolled :)

CyberKev

GBT

Juniors
Kev, what is an AFL TKO? Did Richmond literally knock their opponents into submission in 73-74.....

Good to hear Tom Hafey is declaring himself fit after fainting.

Bombers rolled.

Carlton crushed by almost a gazillion, as predicted right here... :)

Not so bad afterall.

CyberKev

Staff member
Hawk fans haven't dared bandy around the F word for fear of jinxing the team, but I suspect they'll be letting loose with it come 4pm Sunday arvo...

f**k! f**k! f**k! f**k! f**k!

Well, at least I was right about one thing :cry:

A good effort by the Hawks who made the better plays, had three extra scoring shots, were on the bad end of some umpiring shockers, and weren't favoured by the bounce of the ball at key moments, but a loss is still a loss no matter how honourable. They missed Holland's marking power up forward the Hawks and had to be smarter with their ball usage, but there's a lot there to work with.

Brisbane looked to slow play down whenever possible and didn't look too flash for much of the game when forced to lob dinky kicks wide and backward. They steadied when they had to though, lifted the tempo and rode their luck to a crucial win in the context of the season.

Huge question marks over the umpiring interpretation of the deliberate rule today, but its all irrelevant now. Brisbane will need to lift considerably to get the three-peat, while Hawthorn will effectively start planning for 2004 from tomorrow.

GavBT wrote:
Kev, what is an AFL TKO? Did Richmond literally knock their opponents into submission in 73-74.....

Watching old footage you could be excused for thinking so... Bloody tough nuts those Hafey Tigers.

CyberKev

Cupid Stunt

CyberKev said:
Cupid Stunt said:

Ah Cupid,

the world's gone belly-up out in the wild, wild, west, but with eternal optimists like yourself in their corner, I suspect the hapless Hounds may still be with us for some time yet :D

CyberKev

In all honesty I expected to go down by 60 or 70 but they stayed in it to the end. We've been handed some floggings this year but we've thrown some fear into others as well.

108 - 93 against what must be flag faves by now is not to bad... in some respect :lol: