Alex Johnston!!

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by West coast dragon, May 15, 2017.

1. barry

barry Juniors

Hi

:)

2. barry

barry Juniors

Lads

Where are the Nene haters at?

3. rasaint

rasaint Juniors

I have never been a Nene hater. I rate him a pretty good nrl winger. Definitely is quick although not express speed of someone like Ato Carr from Storm. However, not too many at Ato Carr / Jimmy the jet speed anyway.

I think some of the criticism of his defence is simply unfair. He has been left stranded with 1 on 2 even 3 running at him at times this year. Run in and try a shut down or stay and hope for a miracle scramble inside are stark conundrums. He was left Tonight with the same issue for Matalino's early try. He stayed on his wing and Matalino had wide open space. Nene tried late to collar him but it was already a lost cause.

If we kick short higher and accurately he will pinch a few jump trys soon. This year he hasn't had many opportunities yet.

4. mickeylane

mickeylane Juniors

VodkaSaint likes this.
  5. Old Timer

Old Timer Bench

6. GC Dragon

GC Dragon Juniors

Agree I like Nene as well . I have watched him play for a few years and he has great potential . The problem is he is a left winger who has been moved to the right for some reason . And playing outside two very poor defensive centres in Aitken and Milne .

If he plays on his preferred side outside Lafai his game will improve a lot. The stability Lafai offers in defence will help Nene's game as well . Somebody needs to tip Mary that Nighty is actually a right winger and Nene a left .

The other thing is our woeful kicking game . Put the ball in the right spot in the corners and he will score plenty. Every ball that is put up for him lands 10 metres short of the line and the only thing he can do is leap up and knock the balls backwards .

7. mobels

mobels Juniors

Dufty and Field could easily run down Vunivalu and tackle him from behind as well.

Still doesn't convince me that we should be giving him anything more than slightly above average winger money.

8. mickeylane

mickeylane Juniors

u missed the point - it was the attitude to turn around when being more than 10m behind one of the fastest players in the NRL and chasing him down -- he wreaks of the attitude all our players currently have - its a nice attitude fit - I'm not going to talk about his obvious talent of finding the try line...nor will i mention that he's an Australian an Origin player as well

9. AyiosYiorgos

AyiosYiorgos First Grade

Never played Origin, and has played 1 test will be lucky to play another one...

Dennis Papaioannou likes this.
  10. GC Dragon

GC Dragon Juniors

Agree I have no problem if we get him as fast winger to replace Nighty . But he isn't a fullback and either is Cody Walker . I can't see many genuine class fullbacks on the market just fill in fullbacks and fringe first graders .

Qdf and j0nesy like this.
  11. Dennis Papaioannou

Dennis Papaioannou Juniors

Totally agree... Johnston is a speed squib winger not an elite fullback.
    You are right about Dufty and Field. They would have gathered in the big Fijian in no time.

Crescent dragon likes this.
  12. Crescent dragon

Crescent dragon Juniors

Sure would.
    Dufty and Field are the clubs future and need to be given a go sooner rather than later.
    Johnstone is a fair player but do we really need him? No
    One guy who is proven in first grade and absolutely has to be re signed is Kurt Mann.
    He and Dragon followers have a very bright future if he's retained on a long term contract.

13. possm

possm First Grade

If Mary and Millward don't get their act together and test our young guns this year, the pressure to do so will be immense next season and we may just lose some of our bright young guns to other clubs as a result.

14. TomRedVRiver

TomRedVRiver Juniors

Come on Mickey, so Johnston has a bit of pace, I could name you at least 10 players who could chase down Vunivalu. It's not about "attitude", he was just faster, that's all. Doesn't mean he can tackle, pass, take a high ball or nail his positional play.

I'd look at him as a winger maybe, but as a fullback, absolutely not.

dragonssamy61 and ALSGI like this.
  15. Overseas dragon

Overseas dragon Juniors

The dragons have a truck load of young flyers who could run down vunivalu time that we gave them a try against the big boys .wish we had a decent coach with vision ,somebody like Jason demetriou.unfortunately we still have jetski.

ALSGI likes this.
  16. mickeylane

mickeylane Juniors

Kurt Mann Uk
    Mann could be England-bound

Kurt Mann has been playing some good footy for the Dragons since being given his chance in recent weeks – but he could be lost to the club for next season.

Mann is off contract and his management is shopping him to English clubs – several of whom are showing considerable interest in the 24-year-old utility back.

With Josh Dugan off to Cronulla, the Dragons may want to intensify their bid to sign the versatile Mann, who can play fullback and centre – Dugan’s two positions – as well as five-eighth and wing.

Mann played strongly in the win over the Warriors last Friday night and is a confidence player who appears to have found his mojo again.

Read more at http://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/05/23/06/48/ben-barbas-nrl-career-all-but-over#G4mMVy5CT234GeWd.99

17. qld redvee

qld redvee Juniors

Micky dare I say Kurt Mann seems like hes the exact copy ( maybe not as toey )

18. Saintsified

Saintsified Juniors

Inglis doing a Boyd lol, exactly the same thing, depression, then ask for a release then follow Dad...Wayne is a champion in getting what he wants.

Frank Facer likes this.
  19. possm

possm First Grade

Let's hope Wayne gets GI before June 30 and needs to let go Hunt to make it happen.

20. Old Timer

Old Timer Bench

GI is gone for the season and no one has any idea how he will come after the recovery so no chance of Broncos taking him this year or Hunt coming to us before the end of the season

dragonssamy61 likes this.