What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alex McKinnon possibly Quadriplegic - Mclean guilty of dangerous throw - 7 weeks

How many weeks?

• 1-2

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • 3-4

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • 5-6

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 7-8

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 9+

Votes: 26 21.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pugzley

I'm not angry all the time. I'm just pissed at delusional arrogant turds who think the sun rises and sets on their team's arse and can do no wrong.

STORM.99/07

Bench
I am a supporter of a team as you are of yours..I don`t like to see any player of any team being injured and I am not one to go yelling abuse at other teams during games.
I bet you think the sun sets and rises out of your teams arse too and you would defend your team to the end.

Pugzley

Hahahahaahaha. :lol: Nope. i support my team but I sometimes disagree with the things they have done in the past.

Swarzey

Bench
I haven't followed this thread enough so I'm simply just going to make an assumption on these last few posts.

You can support your team through it all. I can't imagine how hard it was to support the Storm during the 2010 season, but when something like this happens and you try to act as if your team has zero blood on it's hands when clearly it does, it's time to step back and realise it doesn't make you a passionate fan, it makes you an ignorant one.

Every Knight is behind the club and it's hard to imagine a scenario where they aren't. I believe even the most fickle fans will be throughout this extremely tough time.

Don't think he has posted since either. And we know it's not because of work commitments or hanging out with mates

LOL

He'll disappear for a few days like he always does when he gets owned big time after being serious, probably post a bit in the FFB to get his confidence back then it'll business as usual being a mong everywhere else

Deacon

First Grade
Is it just me or are people (especially on the Footy Show) speaking as if the guy is dead?

f**k me where's the respect and consideration.

100% awful it was, also thought it was quite insensitive for them to show the tackle on countless times.

Cowboys woo

Juniors
This has probably been said before in this thread but these are my thoughts

In all due respect, I think this Alex McKinnon issue has been wayyyy overblown by the media. It's like injuries have never existed before monday night.. Yes it is a tragic injury.. At the end of the day injuries are apart of footy.

On the Footy Show there were quotes thrown around like "he was a great bloke who loved his footy". He WAS a great bloke who LOVED his footy? What? Is this a funeral or something? You'd think McKinnon died, not broke his neck...

As I said no doubt a tragedy but I feel the media has exaggerated this story. Anything for a newspaper article I guess.

Last edited:

Silky

Juniors
Without sounding insensitive, this could not have happened at a worse time for me personally!

I've been on the board of my local footy club for a while now but this year i thought i'd have a crack at thirsty third grade. I haven't played contact footy since i was 17 and i'm now 26... first game is tomorrow!

My fiance is a girly girl and does not particularly enjoy RL, so she was already worried about me getting hurt, and after this week she is now terrified! haha

Noname36

First Grade
This has probably been said before in this thread but these are my thoughts

In all due respect, I think this Alex McKinnon issue has been wayyyy overblown by the media. It's like injuries have never existed before monday night.. Yes it is a tragic injury.. At the end of the day injuries are apart of footy.

On the Footy Show there were quotes thrown around like "he was a great bloke who loved his footy". He WAS a great bloke who LOVED his footy? What? Is this a funeral or something? You'd think McKinnon died, not broke his neck...

As I said no doubt a tragedy but I feel the media has exaggerated this story. Anything for a newspaper article I guess.

Bit insensitive mate to essentially say that people need to get over it because "injuries are a part of footy". Yes they are but most of them don't result in a 22-year-old potentially never walking again let alone playing. I didn't like them referring to him in past tense either, but still sparing death itself it was pretty much the most tragic thing that could happen.

Silky

Juniors
I noticed that Budsy was referring to him in past tense, too, but players talk about Buderus as being one of the most genuine blokes to ever play the game so i imagine that he'd probably feel sick if he watched it back. He was clearly very emotional about it all.

Dragons01

First Grade
I can sort of understand what Cowboys was saying. Willie Mason when interviewed said 'we will always remember Alex McKinnon' why wouldn't they remember him, hopefully in a couple of months he will be back at Hunter Stadium watching the Knights play.

I think for the players it is more of a shock thing that something like this could happen, it brings home the dangers that playing footy can have.

They are talking of eventually transferring him to Royal North Shore and when he gets there he will be surrounded by other young men that are in the exact same situation as him.

It is a tragedy for everyone of those people in the spinal unit and I think that might have been Cowboys point.

Tucantango

Juniors
I disagree. An accident is an event that happens by chance or that is without apparent or deliberate cause.

Had McKinnon not been lifted above the horizontal (which is against the rules) he would not have suffered the injury. Pretty clear cut IMO.

Quite correct!

That's how the law tends to view it! In other words, "but for the action that was in breach of the rules of the game/sport would the accident have occurred?"

LESStar58

Referee
Stop and actually think of the wellfor himf your own player for a minute. He shouldn't play untill his charge is heard, his mind would already be all over the place with what has happened to Alex. He may be injured himself or indeed injure someone else due to not concentrating on the game. I believe the NRL and the storm both have a duty of care to your player as well.

It could also be that he wants to play this weekend to try and put his mind towards something else.

Could do a lot for his state of mind

Agreed mate and I wasn't being an arse about it. Just my view I would hate to see him or someone else injured because the young fella has his mind elsewhere

Agree with all theae here but its ultimately Jordans choice. If he didn't wanna play I don't yhink Melbourne would have appeal.

sink or swim as I said. It will either be good for him or baf for him to play this wkend.

Silky

Juniors
If Alex hadn't have tucked his head under his body to try and propel himself to the ground and complete the tackle it wouldn't have happened... there was a number of contributing factors, but in no way was one man's actions wholly responsible for that outcome.

It was a freakish, unfortunate series of events. Anyone trying to point the blame does not understand the game.

_Johnsy

Referee
If Alex hadn't have tucked his head under his body to try and propel himself to the ground and complete the tackle it wouldn't have happened... there was a number of contributing factors, but in no way was one man's actions wholly responsible for that outcome.

It was a freakish, unfortunate series of events. Anyone trying to point the blame does not understand the game.

I understand the game, I've played and watched for over 35 years. The difference is I'm not that condescending to say that if you dont agree with my point of view you don't understand the game. Are you related to magpiesforever ?

This may be a stretch for you, but I'll try.

If he is not put in the position (above the horizontal) ie. an illegal tackle he would not have had any need to take the action he did. It is a likely consequence of placing a person in that position that he may try to take evasive action as he did. It is not about blaming any single person, it is about how did he end up in a dangerous position (above the horizontal). The simple fact is a three melbourne players were effecting a tackle & one of them had his hand/arm between his legs and lifted him into that position.

Was it an unfortunate series of events from that point on (being placed above the horizontal) ? Yes
Was there any malice in those series of events ? No

POPEYE

Coach

You will find that people not participating in this thread ad nauseum have a complete understanding of what you say

Silky

Juniors
I understand the game, I've played and watched for over 35 years. The difference is I'm not that condescending to say that if you dont agree with my point of view you don't understand the game. Are you related to magpiesforever ?

This may be a stretch for you, but I'll try.

If he is not put in the position (above the horizontal) ie. an illegal tackle he would not have had any need to take the action he did. It is a likely consequence of placing a person in that position that he may try to take evasive action as he did. It is not about blaming any single person, it is about how did he end up in a dangerous position (above the horizontal). The simple fact is a three melbourne players were effecting a tackle & one of them had his hand/arm between his legs and lifted him into that position.

Was it an unfortunate series of events from that point on (being placed above the horizontal) ? Yes
Was there any malice in those series of events ? No

Okay... sorry for being condescending... but to suggest that Alex McKinnon's double neck break is anything but an accident is just silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts