What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An AFL club starting an NRL Franchise: Could this ever be a possibility.

Colk

First Grade
This is probably in one of the lowest percentiles of happening. There is too much acrimony between the two codes and this idea wouldn’t benefit either.

RedVee

First Grade
there are a few examples of recent history of established NRL/AFL teams starting another team in another sport

Parra, Carlton and Collingwood I think all tried soccer
Collington tried with netball

In these cases the new club struggled for various reasons and ended up being wound up to not detract from the main sporting business

Dragons owned (half owned?) the Illawarra Hawks for a year way back

RedVee

First Grade
Was that the shareholder in the Dragons also being a shareholder in the Hawks
The stadiums are in the same building so makes some sense
From my memory it was the Dragons. The Hawks even had a SGI logo on their singlet. It was a one year thing. It was explained to me around the time that it was until they got involved that they learned the extent of the financial issues - and they then got out asap.

gUt

Coach
The Malbun Whites Only We All Do Drugs But It's Society's Fault Give Us Tax Money Stick Insects would be pretty good, but they would have to accept you need to catch the ball sometimes. Tough ask.

Latest posts