What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Honest assessment of Todd Greenberg

How would you rate Greenbergs'

• Great for the game. A significant step up from his predecessors.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • Nothing special. Done some things that are great for the game, and others not so good

Votes: 21 29.2%
  • Would have been better off with Dave Smith.

Votes: 34 47.2%
  • GTFO you sook

Votes: 12 16.7%

• Total voters

Perth Red

Post Whore
We started up a new comp In the old Group 17 area. Added about 150 players to the game. NRL did one thing - reimburse for referee payments at the end of the year. Did f**k all to get it up and running. The local referee development officer did 10x as much as anyone from NRL did. The NRL do f**k all, there’s plenty they could do - f**k I couldn’t even get a passing target off them for local kids after emailing and calling 5 different blokes. How hard is it to give clubs or kids some gear? Nah Barb needs a f**king ring instead

2019 they spent approx $95mill on grass roots allegedly. Would love to know what the money goes on?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yes, they add value "to the broadcaster", not necessarily to the game.

wouldn’t be so bad of the tv deal was outstanding given we gave up two fan attendance spots a week. At least then they could have used the extra money to encourage fans to go to games.

Spot On

Coach
We started up a new comp In the old Group 17 area. Added about 150 players to the game. NRL did one thing - reimburse for referee payments at the end of the year. Did f**k all to get it up and running. The local referee development officer did 10x as much as anyone from NRL did. The NRL do f**k all, there’s plenty they could do - f**k I couldn’t even get a passing target off them for local kids after emailing and calling 5 different blokes. How hard is it to give clubs or kids some gear? Nah Barb needs a f**king ring instead

... but according to some people it is you who shoukd come up with the solutions to the death of grassroots and coubtry footy, not the people asking for a 1.1 million contract to run the game.

>zuzu<

Juniors
Tbf most of those % growths were due to a small figure in the women’s game increasing. I doubt if you seperated men’s and women’s it would look so healthy.

2019 the new promised grass roots funding finally started with an additional $15million given to state leagues and development. Significantly less than the $20mill a year promised from 2018 but we can thank Grant caving in to the nrl clubs for that.
And this is another big gripe I have with Greenberg.

He does this often, where he combines data together, and tries to sell it off as a win.

I recall in 2018, probably just after round 2 - he trumpeted that attendances were up for the first 2 rounds, and used that as a "put that in your pipe and smoke it". But if you look closely at the numbers:

• There was a double header in Perth, where the same figure was used for both games (so rather than doing the logical part of 19,000 per game, it was listed as 38,000 x 2
  • The Broncos/Cowboy match was played in the second round, attracting a crowd of 46,000
I cannot recall other instances off the top of my head, but this was one that stood out for me.

If he was a cricketer, he would have been a spin bowler for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vee

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I recall in 2018, probably just after round 2 - he trumpeted that attendances were up for the first 2 rounds. But if you look closely at the numbers:

• There was a double header in Perth, where the same figure was used for both games
  • The Broncos/Cowboy match was played in the second round, attracting a crowd of 46,000

If he was a cricketer, he would have been a spin bowler for sure.
I have no idea how or why you're taking aim at the Broncos-Cowboys crowd, it's routinely played in the first couple of rounds, in Brisbane, and generally always attracts a large crowd.

>zuzu<

Juniors
I have no idea how or why you're taking aim at the Broncos-Cowboys crowd, it's routinely played in the first couple of rounds, in Brisbane, and generally always attracts a large crowd.
Not taking a dig mate, its renown to get big numbers.

If you take those 2 out (ie a trimmed mean) - it shows a very real picture of where attendances where at.

My point was, he takes convenient snap shots of data, and tries to sell it off a sign of the game bettering in one way, shape or form. A dive into the data though, will show otherwise.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Not taking a dig mate, its renown to get big numbers.

If you take those 2 out (ie a trimmed mean) - it shows a very real picture of where attendances where at.

My point was, he takes convenient snap shots of data, and tries to sell it off a sign of the game bettering in one way, shape or form. A dive into the data though, will show otherwise.
I did that deep dive just then and without the double-counting of the double header, the R1-2 aggregate was still miles ahead of the aggregate from the previous year.

There are absolutely a bunch of things you can go after for him but I don't feel like this is one of them lol

Lebbo73

Bench
It’s dumb move to give her a diamond ring when all the other woman get sweet f**k all.
Yes.
Cameron Smith has played 400+ NRL games (first and only player to do this) but apparently it’s a crime to give his wife a gift in recognition.

gUt

Coach
And anyway, part of his job is to talk the game up. Lord knows we have enough media, fans and code warriors from other codes looking to sink the slipper, highlight and exaggerate its bad news and shortcomings and generally try to turn the NRL brand into shorthand for "dumb, brutal and dangerous".

Is the game's CEO meant to be one of them? We might guffaw if we spot obvious spin or hype but that's surely his role. Talk the game up to try to counter the daily torrent of shit it cops from all sides, including from its own fans. Gallop allegedly deliberately white-anted the game, including allegedly leaking stories to his alleged masters in the Murdoch press as a mechanism to allegedly keep the rights price-tag as low as possible. Some posters seriously miss his regime and I can't imagine why.

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
Cameron Smith has played 400+ NRL games (first and only player to do this) but apparently it’s a crime to give his wife a gift in recognition.

It’s not a crime but a dumb decision
Maybe Terry Lambs wife or Gallens should have been looked after:grinning:

myrrh ken

First Grade
Defending Greg Inglis on his drink driving charge. - I actually have no issue with this.

Agree with most of the rest, but how do you agree with this?

Its a clear conflict of interest, given he must consider whether there are any ramifications to GI after the court case.

It absolutely goes against his spiel about being tough on DV crime. Here we have one bloke admitting to his actions. So he decides to give evidence in mitigation to the court about what a good bloke he is.

He has not done this with any other player before or after. Therefore showing clear favouritism.

Worst decision of the lot and the reason I can't trust his judgment

Springs09

Juniors
... but according to some people it is you who shoukd come up with the solutions to the death of grassroots and coubtry footy, not the people asking for a 1.1 million contract to run the game.

The thing is - we do come up with solutions. The other thing is - 'we' are volunteers working our arses off for nothing but the love of the game. The NRL are far more concerned with finding ways to pay already overpaid players even more money. They actually put more obstacles in the way of us playing instead of removing them.

2019 they spent approx $95mill on grass roots allegedly. Would love to know what the money goes on?

Honestly have no idea. Well actually, I'm guessing the salaries of the development officers are part of that. They run school clinics and the like, which is good, but really don't seem to do much with the running of the local comps, and definitely have not developed any new ideas to get more players in the game. As I said before, the referee development officer (who covers most of southern NSW) does a shitload more than anyone else from the NRL or NSWRL. But $95m? Like I said we only got referee payment reimbursements for our first year (about $2200) and that's all the money we've seen from the NRL. All the local clubs and comps are run purely by volunteers, people have to pay to attend coaching courses, ref courses, Level 1 trainer courses etc (which are all needed for a game to go ahead, yet the NRL will cancel a course if they don't get a minimum amount of attendees - how are clubs meant to get mandatory Level 1 trainers if you cancel the courses?) and we see very little of either the local NRL or NSWRL employees.

Someone above claimed the NRL were doing lots to combat abuse at local footy grounds - bullshit. The most I've seen from the NRL are printed posters at junior games. All our games we adopted a zero tolerance policy to both abuse and violence on the field and from spectators (season-long bans if need be) and I was the one enforcing it, didn't hear shit from the NRL. In fact the first instance we had of on-field violence the CRL overturned our suspensions and said we couldn't do it, and the abusers got off scott-free and all our work was for nothing and we looked like a bunch of hypocrites. Along with organising the comp I was a player and a ref and I got an anonymous threatening letter about my refereeing, and still heard jack shit from the NRL. And ref abuse is rampant in country footy. If I wasn't playing I doubt I'd go to Group 20 games because you hear more abuse of refs than you hear support of players/teams.

If the NRL claim credit for any increase in grassroots participation, other than maybe little junior programs not even equivalent to Auskick, then f**king lol. They'd probably rather potential players stay home and boost the NRL TV ratings than actually play.

Springs09

Juniors

What?

Yeah. Smith played 400 games. Why does his wife need a gift? She'd be more privileged than the vast majority of player's wives throughout history.

It's not like there's a plethora of wives, girlfriends, mothers and daughters who give up their weekend to help on gameday, in the canteen, on the gate etc. while their husbands/sons/fathers give up their weekend to play footy for nothing but the love of it and are then f**ked with no income if they are off work through injury. (For those that are wondering, bush footy insurance only kicks in if you are off work for longer than 4 weeks, then its $300/week)

Perth Red

Post Whore
Tbf to Greenberg he did produce a strat plan with no measurable goals and therefore he can’t be held accountable for not achieving them. That’s some clever ceo sht right there.

Last Week

Bench

Its a clear conflict of interest, given he must consider whether there are any ramifications to GI after the court case.

It absolutely goes against his spiel about being tough on DV crime. Here we have one bloke admitting to his actions. So he decides to give evidence in mitigation to the court about what a good bloke he is.

He has not done this with any other player before or after. Therefore showing clear favouritism.

Last I checked, drink driving wasn't a DV offence. So I don't see how it contradicts the stance on it.

As for not doing it for any other player, well, it's Todd's decision. It's not like he's representing an area of the public. And, maybe no one else has asked?

myrrh ken

First Grade
Last I checked, drink driving wasn't a DV offence. So I don't see how it contradicts the stance on it.

As for not doing it for any other player, well, it's Todd's decision. It's not like he's representing an area of the public. And, maybe no one else has asked?

ah yeah - got the cases mixed up.

Other 2 points stand. Especially the conflict of interest.

This wasn’t a defence, it was a character reference. There’s a difference.

I’ve been asked to give a character reference on a number of occasions, which I’ve done. The solicitors/lawyers have managed defence on these.