What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Angus backs Madge and says blame the players

doyen

Bench
Yep Madge is good with our juniors. That's for sure....

Madge will be OK with our younger players as long as he doesn't have them for too long.
If he does they will eventually go backwards--become structured,fail to use their innate skills!!
All Madge needs to do with our young players is cordially say "hello" to them when he sees them------which I would hope is NOT too often!!
When the players see Madge they should run to the hills as quite a few have done in recent years!

This is the sort of article we needed to see. I haven't seen another player come out this year with their support for Madge.

I was keen on him leaving because I thought the players didn't like him anymore and maybe the rumours were true. If he hasn't lost the dressing room then he's still good in my eyes.
he may not have lost the dressing room but something is wrong as we missed the playoff 3 years in a row now. something has to change. cant replace all the players so the coach needs to go.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Madge will be OK with our younger players as long as he doesn't have them for too long.
If he does they will eventually go backwards--become structured,fail to use their innate skills!!
All Madge needs to do with our young players is cordially say "hello" to them when he sees them------which I would hope is NOT too often!!
When the players see Madge they should run to the hills as quite a few have done in recent years!

I actually disagree doyen. The players that have gone backwards are the ones that played in the grand final. I think it's more of a lack of motivation than madge's coaching ability. Look at the players that haven't played in the grand final who have improved beyond eye sight. Crichton, Fuimaono, Goodwin, Walker, Musgrove, Hunt. They've all turned into quality first graders.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
he may not have lost the dressing room but something is wrong as we missed the playoff 3 years in a row now. something has to change. cant replace all the players so the coach needs to go.

I don't know. Souths should be higher up on the ladder yes, but our players are the ones that are underperforming. Do you really think a new coach would help the Burgess twins return to their best? Allow AR to start kicking significantly better?

If the players back him then I think that says a lot about him.

Rabbits20

Immortal
He's not as bad as you make out!!!

An unstructured team never wins the comp in the NRL!!!!

You need to lay off Madge a bit!!!!

Rabbit toes

First Grade
Think about it, is a player ever going to lay blame on a coach during an interview, for anything? Aside from Farah and we learnt the hard way which Madge had a say in for recruiting him.

We need a new spark and direction, we are not and will not get that from Madge now.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
"Player refused to comment when asked about Coaches position"
All that'd do is add fuel to the fire.

I honestly don't think they would post something like that. Well I'd find it hard to believe they would.

Think about it, is a player ever going to lay blame on a coach during an interview, for anything? Aside from Farah and we learnt the hard way which Madge had a say in for recruiting him.

We need a new spark and direction, we are not and will not get that from Madge now.

I think there are definitely players that have openly been against the coach. Even Luke keary said at one point last year. "Maguire has to figure it out himself". To me that just suggests a big f**k you.

"We need a new spark and direction." I genuinely do not believe that's what we need. We need AR's to start playing for what his worth and we need the twins to start earning their money. Our prop rotation is one of the weakest in the competition. No coach can fix that. 3 of our props would be lucky to make it onto the bench of most sides. Musgrove is the youngest yet the most capable of them all. I do not believe this is maguire's fault.

Rabbit toes

First Grade
I honestly don't think they would post something like that. Well I'd find it hard to believe they would.

I think there are definitely players that have openly been against the coach. Even Luke keary said at one point last year. "Maguire has to figure it out himself". To me that just suggests a big f**k you.

"We need a new spark and direction." I genuinely do not believe that's what we need. We need AR's to start playing for what his worth and we need the twins to start earning their money. Our prop rotation is one of the weakest in the competition. No coach can fix that. 3 of our props would be lucky to make it onto the bench of most sides. Musgrove is the youngest yet the most capable of them all. I do not believe this is maguire's fault.
But if it's Maguires job to coach them to play at an elite level and succeed and then it's not happening, surely part blame is with him?

If no coach can fix our poor prop rotation, how will Maguire do it? Remember he's responsible for it now?

No doubt musgrove is better than the twins, but if that's where the players are at now performance wise, I believe a new coach and direction can improve them and our results. Let's face it, we don't have much further to slide to the bottom, time to climb again.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
But if it's Maguires job to coach them to play at an elite level and succeed and then it's not happening, surely part blame is with him?

If no coach can fix our poor prop rotation, how will Maguire do it? Remember he's responsible for it now?

No doubt musgrove is better than the twins, but if that's where the players are at now performance wise, I believe a new coach and direction can improve them and our results. Let's face it, we don't have much further to slide to the bottom, time to climb again.

I understand where your coming from and I would tend to agree if there weren't players who have shown significant improvement under Maguire. AJ, Walker, Hunt, Crichton, Fuimaono, Musgrove are all coming of age as NRL players and this is purely under maguire's coaching.

The players who are underperforming are all grand final veterans which suggests a lock of motivation. The only person who can change that is themselves. A new coach will not instil inspiration into these older players. All a new coach will do is set us back another few years.

Rabbit toes

First Grade
I understand where your coming from and I would tend to agree if there weren't players who have shown significant improvement under Maguire. AJ, Walker, Hunt, Crichton, Fuimaono, Musgrove are all coming of age as NRL players and this is purely under maguire's coaching.

The players who are underperforming are all grand final veterans which suggests a lock of motivation. The only person who can change that is themselves. A new coach will not instil inspiration into these older players. All a new coach will do is set us back another few years.

These players AJ, Walker, Hunt, Crichton, Fuimaono, Musgrove
Have improved no question, mainly they've all been given opportunities and grabbed them.
Inglis gone. AJ in
Sutton moved to backrow. Walker shines in 5/8 (I don't get then why Madge moved him to fullback? Explain that?)
Hunt def improved but dogged with injury, keeping Talakai and Goodwin out of centre when fit.
Fui, chricton and musgrove have all over the course of the year forced their way in. Why? My guess is they're hungry for the work and are proving it. I'm not discounting Madge here either. He's def contributed, but how can you get young guys firing and veterans failing?

Then you've got the 2 hooker fiasco that's been diabolical all year. Neither up to task.

Strange decisions with Clark and Turner at prop, Tyrell in and out of the side. Burgess twins discipline especially at the start of the season.
I just feel over the last 2 years in particular things haven't improved enough, as the results show, to confidently go in to another season as is. If you had a coordinator in you're company and he watched over poor productivity, lost clients and down results you'd want a change right?

At least now Murray is getting a run.. there are positives, just the negatives far out weigh them

Pommy

Coach
2yrs actually.

We made the 8 in 2015.

We did make it but we didn't turn up and we were dead in the water for months before that point. It was a total waste of a journey to SFS for everyone involved.
We had a great start to 2015 but the second half was probably as bad as we have been.

Pommy

Coach
I don't know. Souths should be higher up on the ladder yes, but our players are the ones that are underperforming. Do you really think a new coach would help the Burgess twins return to their best? Allow AR to start kicking significantly better?

If the players back him then I think that says a lot about him.

It the coaches job to do all of those things. That is his job.
It's no good having a game plan and then complaining the players don't fit. He has to have a game plan to fit the players he has.

doyen

Bench
He's not as bad as you make out!!!

An unstructured team never wins the comp in the NRL!!!!

You need to lay off Madge a bit!!!!

Sths have been well known for their dull & dour approach for a long time now--& they're not the only ones either.
That's why the game is so tough to swallow.
An unstructured team with flair & creativity, in attack, can win the comp----they just need to develop an impregnable defence. Don't let the opposition score points.
Put the two abovementioned things together & you'll win this comp easily!!

doyen

Bench
I actually disagree doyen. The players that have gone backwards are the ones that played in the grand final. I think it's more of a lack of motivation than madge's coaching ability. Look at the players that haven't played in the grand final who have improved beyond eye sight. Crichton, Fuimaono, Goodwin, Walker, Musgrove, Hunt. They've all turned into quality first graders.
I'm not too sure Madge has had much to do with players like Crichton or Walker who are naturals.
Hunt hasn't improved,IMO.

The proof is in the results--if these players are quality than we should be doing far better. Madge needs to evolve as a coach but I don't believe he's doing that!

CAFPOW

Juniors
The thing is you can't sort the salary cap out until contracts are over. It's not like teaching players plays it is what it is.

Richo don't have to wait till our players contract is over to sort out the salary cap. Surely Richo would be crunching the numbers during the season to make sure we have enough cash at the end of the season.

doyen

Bench
Even Sths structure is showing up,on paper,as being very poor!

We have leaked an average of more than 22 pts per game in defence----our defence coach has a problem getting the structures right.

We are averaging 19 pts in offence which is fair but we still are about 70 pts adrift in differential.
So one might question the quality of the players, maybe,& also definitely the coach who has the responsibility of motivating the players to perform & to get winning structures in place. The first thing might be our lousy defensive structure!!

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
These players AJ, Walker, Hunt, Crichton, Fuimaono, Musgrove
Have improved no question, mainly they've all been given opportunities and grabbed them.
Inglis gone. AJ in
Sutton moved to backrow. Walker shines in 5/8 (I don't get then why Madge moved him to fullback? Explain that?)
Hunt def improved but dogged with injury, keeping Talakai and Goodwin out of centre when fit.
Fui, chricton and musgrove have all over the course of the year forced their way in. Why? My guess is they're hungry for the work and are proving it. I'm not discounting Madge here either. He's def contributed, but how can you get young guys firing and veterans failing?

Then you've got the 2 hooker fiasco that's been diabolical all year. Neither up to task.

Strange decisions with Clark and Turner at prop, Tyrell in and out of the side. Burgess twins discipline especially at the start of the season.
I just feel over the last 2 years in particular things haven't improved enough, as the results show, to confidently go in to another season as is. If you had a coordinator in you're company and he watched over poor productivity, lost clients and down results you'd want a change right?

At least now Murray is getting a run.. there are positives, just the negatives far out weigh them

Okay I'll try get through all of this. So I'll start with the team selections.

Most of these selections that you have outlined have purely been decisions made out of pressure. Everyone could see that AJ was struggling significantly in defence at the back where Walker was much better. I'm not gonna defend this as it was poor and its regressive to select teams that are only gonna benefit you for a season or two. I'm all for junior development.

Players don't just improve because they're hungry, especially younger players. It is all the coach's ability to improving them. Crichton was nowhere near the player in 2016 that he is now in 2017. It was a combination of his work ethic and madge's coaching ability.

As for the hooker situation that's a simple one. Farah is undroppable. You can think whatever you want about cook but the reality is that he is not only cheaper but he gets along with team mates much better. I do not believe that it was maguire's choice to recruit Farah I think that if it was up to Maguire he would of kept Mcinnes.

The sad part about the prop rotation is that even though the Burgess twins are underperforming they're still the best props we have. Tyrell, Clark and turner have all struggled to maintain first grade spots this year and I think that has nothing to do with Madge.

I genuinely believe that things haven't improved because our roster hasn't. Ill use an example of our backline.

1. Fit GI
2. Unstoppable AJ
3. Dylan walker
4. Kirisome Auva'a
5. Lote tuqiri
6. Luke Keary
7. Adam Reynolds when his kicks actually did something.

1. AJ
2. Goodwin - was a reserve grader in 2014
3. Hunt
4. Fuimaono - second rower filling in.
5. Graham - only a rookie.
6. Walker
7. Arey

The quality difference is ridiculous.