What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Angus Crichton

jack coburn

Juniors
I remember him getting big wraps when he was playing jersey fllegg for the roosters. Very surprised they let him go

davi

Juniors
Angus Crichton claims rugby officials left him discouraged and pushed him into the arms of South Sydney.

How bizarre Waratahs Super Rugby excuse delivered Angus Crichton to rugby league

CHRISTIAN NICOLUSSI and IAIN PAYTEN, The Daily Telegraph
August 23, 2017 8:41am

ANGUS Crichton would be one of the hottest prospects in rugby union — not the NRL — had the NSW Waratahs not put a five-year moratorium on him playing at the top level.

The South Sydney forward has revealed how the Waratahs bizarrely told the then 18-year-old he would not play Super Rugby until he was 23, which effectively drove him out of the battling code.

Two-time Australian Schoolboys rugby star said he would not have even entertained a move to the Rabbitohs had the Waratahs not told him he would have to serve a five-year apprenticeship before playing Super Rugby.

Not only have the struggling Waratahs allowed a future star slip through their fingers, Crichton last night backed more young rugby stars to take advantage of the better pathways programs in rugby league.

Tepai Moeroa, Taane Milne and Connor Watson are other rugby stars who have made the successful transition to the NRL — and are all yet to turn 23.

Crichton told The Locker Room podcast how he was stunned by the Waratahs’ plans for him, and wasted no time contacting Souths coach Michael Maguire who he said told him “I want you playing first grade as soon as you’re ready’’.

The Souths backrower told The Daily Telegraph the move was never about the money or taking the fast route to the top.

“I sat there with my dad in a meeting with the Waratahs, I was an 18-year-old who had dreams of playing professional footy,” Crichton said.

“When they told me I wouldn’t be playing first grade, or Super Rugby, until I was 23, it was the polar opposite when I met Madge who told me he’d play me when I was ready. That made it easy.’’

The Waratahs have since had an overhaul of their coaching staff, and said on Tuesday they were surprised by Crichton’s claims.

“I never had any conversation with him like that, and I am not aware of any conversation he had about that at all,” then-chief scout Tim Kelaher told the Daily Telegraph.

“It’s a bit strange to hear that because the attitude back then as well was to bring guys like him right into the fold.

“For example, we had Andrew Kellaway in the Waratahs dressing room after games and so on. It was all about the smooth integration and transition of those guys from schoolboy rugby into the fold.

“We thought extremely highly of him. We had obviously earmarked Angus from a long way back but at the same time we didn’t have the funds to offer him that rugby league could.’’

Crichton remains good friends with several Super Rugby and Shute Shield players, and at 21 will never close the door on a return to the 15-man code.

It’s understood Wallabies coach Michael Cheika remains a fan of Crichton.

He has been one of Souths best and even touted as a future Blues Origin forward as early as next year.

Unlike the Waratahs, South Sydney are not in the mood to let Crichton go so easily.

Souths boss Shane Richardson said they had commenced talks with Crichton’s management earlier this month about keeping him at Redfern beyond 2018.

Richardson said they had success recruiting young Aussie rugby stars, including Australian Schoolboys five-eighth Adam Doueihi, Tyrone Taukamo and front-rower Toby Rudolf, but trying to poach talent from New Zealand was ‘’virtually impossible’’.

“I saw the podcast. We spent a bit of time looking at Angus before he signed, and we’ve signed a lot of other rugby kids as well,’’ Richardson said.

“He’s been a revelation for us, and a lot of other (rugby) kids could be, too.’’

It’s understood the Waratahs didn’t have the capacity to offer Crichton a full-time senior squad contract, but in combination with the ARU, offered a possible full-time pathway through the Australian sevens team.

The confusion in rugby about why Crichton would be told he had to wait until 23 also stems from the fact there are dozens of players younger than that in the Australian teams.

ARU high performance boss Ben Whitaker said Crichton had been firmly on the radar of Australian rugby since he was 15.

“He was selected for the ARU’s National Gold Squad program from 2012-2014 and represented NSW and Australian Schools in 2014. That same year he had played in the SG Ball competition for the Roosters for fitness after some injury setbacks in 2013,” Whitaker said.

“In his final year on the National Gold Squad scholarship he was presented options in both league and rugby and he chose to take up an opportunity with South Sydney.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...e/news-story/ec0f2e4019c23fde5b654e85e4b08d51

Last edited:

AJB1102

First Grade
Lol

Will rugby union ever stop kicking itself squarley in the balls.

NRL do a good job of it too, but union are next level.

Maybe there is an evil genius within NRL HQ who knows RU will just try and out-do anything RL does. So RL decided to be an absolute f**king basket case knowing the RU would follow suit but up it a notch and kill themselves.

Or just dumb luck to RL. Which won't be capitalised on unless more dumb luck.

isaiah

Bench
Going to be fun in the next decade watching him, Payne Haas, and pangai jr playing origin for nsw.

kbw

Bench
Some errors and missed info in that article.
Milne, Moeroa and Watson were all RL players that also played union.

Knowing the RU system a bit Crichton would never had made the huge improvements in RU that he has in RL. He was guaranteed nothing at Souffs but an opportunity if he worked hard and he did.

kbw

Bench
I remember him getting big wraps when he was playing jersey fllegg for the roosters. Very surprised they let him go

It was SG Ball, he wasn't contracted and as soon as Scots College (his school) found out, they put a stop to it

Rabbits20

Immortal
Apparently he has had a broken bone in his foot for weeks, but in typical Maguire fashion he's being made to play through it.

Madge is seriously a f**kwit
No he wants to play with it.

He has said with how young he is and how he's going it's his choice to play with the pain......

He doesn't believe in needling injuries up either....

Rabbits20

Immortal
As good a young edge forward to hit the scene since SBW.

That Rabbitohs jersey just doesn't suit him though.

As a Roosters fan growing up he belongs in the red white and blue where he can challenge for Premierships.

The only silverware Souffs look like competing for over the next 5 years is spoons.
Nope he's all ours and is at his true home that is the pride of the league!!!!!

Danish

Referee
No he wants to play with it.

He has said with how young he is and how he's going it's his choice to play with the pain......

He doesn't believe in needling injuries up either....

Thats all well and good, but the risk of playing with a stress fracture is that it could turn into a complete fracture. Being tough doesn't remove that risk either.

If you want to know how badly a full fracture of one of the bones in your foot can affect a player's career..... well take a look at Willy Mason's form pre and post his foot injury before the 2005 season.

Personally I think the Souths medical staff should be denying him the choice to play and ensuring his foot is fully healed before the preseason begins for 2018

I remember all the pessimists when Union started pinching players from league like Dell and Lote Tuqiri.
People whinging that we wouldn't be able to compete with them and the likes of Inglis and Thurston would all end up playing French Rugby.

Well a few years down the track and it turns out that pinching a few leaguies was the worst thing the ARU could have ever done. They basically torpedoed their own junior development system.

It made young guys like Chrichton and even Luke Keary realise that they could follow a different path and probably still play for the Wobblies if they felt like it later down the track.

Once these kids worked out that they could switch to league, make a reasonable living in the under 20's competition and even build a bit of a profile because of the odd tv appearance, it became a no brainer to make the switch. There's a lot more opportunity to play in the top league competition and make a very good living doing so and of course, total plodders like Curtis Rona have shown that you only have to be an average league player willing to switch to Union and you'll be playing for the Wobblies within 12 months.

As mentioned in the article, Chrichton would still be a good 5 years off playing for the Waratahs if he stayed in Onion. Potentially now, if he were so inclined, he could probably play another 2 years for Souths and then switch back to Union in 2020, then not only would he walk into the Waratards team 3 years earlier, he'd probably walk into the Wobblies as well.

Of course, I hope that he's had a taste of Origin by then and is entrenched in the NSW team as well as pushing for a Kangaroos jumper by that stage.

As for Union, they may as well not bother with dross like the Shute shield. Just dump the competition altogether. When your Super Rugby sides are total rubbish and can't beat club teams from South Africa and New Zealand then the its obvious their development pathway is rubbish.

I remember all the pessimists when Union started pinching players from league like Dell and Lote Tuqiri.
People whinging that we wouldn't be able to compete with them and the likes of Inglis and Thurston would all end up playing French Rugby.

Well a few years down the track and it turns out that pinching a few leaguies was the worst thing the ARU could have ever done. They basically torpedoed their own junior development system.

It made young guys like Chrichton and even Luke Keary realise that they could follow a different path and probably still play for the Wobblies if they felt like it later down the track.

Once these kids worked out that they could switch to league, make a reasonable living in the under 20's competition and even build a bit of a profile because of the odd tv appearance, it became a no brainer to make the switch. There's a lot more opportunity to play in the top league competition and make a very good living doing so and of course, total plodders like Curtis Rona have shown that you only have to be an average league player willing to switch to Union and you'll be playing for the Wobblies within 12 months.

As mentioned in the article, Chrichton would still be a good 5 years off playing for the Waratahs if he stayed in Onion. Potentially now, if he were so inclined, he could probably play another 2 years for Souths and then switch back to Union in 2020, then not only would he walk into the Waratards team 3 years earlier, he'd probably walk into the Wobblies as well.

Of course, I hope that he's had a taste of Origin by then and is entrenched in the NSW team as well as pushing for a Kangaroos jumper by that stage.

As for Union, they may as well not bother with dross like the Shute shield. Just dump the competition altogether. When your Super Rugby sides are total rubbish and can't beat club teams from South Africa and New Zealand then the its obvious their development pathway is rubbish.

You're insane.

Latest posts