What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anthony Griffin feeling the heat?

OzDragon

Coach
"They probably wont make the top 4 but will be in the 8"

I see this sentiment here and amongst the general media quite a bit. No one is entitled to a spot in the playoffs. It seems to me they've let all this talk get to their heads about 'just how great they are' and need a massive reality check regarding their current situation.

Griffin isn't the problem imo, it's the players' attitude.

Canard

Immortal
I fell hook, line and sinker for the Panthers hype. I've been tipping them and backing them in multi's pretty much every week - convinced they'd come good.

The reality is their squad just isn't that good. It's definitely good enough to cause headaches on the odd day when it all clicks, but it's just not the top 4 team I thought it'd be.

You're asking me to remember something that's currently happening. The Dragons had the most incredibly soft schedule in history to start the season - culminating in a game against a Thurston-less Cows.They'll fall apart when they play some decent teams.

Happy for you to publicly declare there season over.

mxlegend99

Referee
"They probably wont make the top 4 but will be in the 8"

I see this sentiment here and amongst the general media quite a bit. No one is entitled to a spot in the playoffs. It seems to me they've let all this talk get to their heads about 'just how great they are' and need a massive reality check regarding their current situation.

Griffin isn't the problem imo, it's the players' attitude.
The coach is responsible for the players attitude.

They have been the worst defensive side in the competition since he showed up. They dominate possession, field position and still miss more tackles then the opposition nearly every week.

Griffin is responsible for their attitude on and off the field. He is responsible for team selections... he f**ks it up every week.

Hutty1986

Immortal
I fell hook, line and sinker for the Panthers hype. I've been tipping them and backing them in multi's pretty much every week - convinced they'd come good.

The reality is their squad just isn't that good. It's definitely good enough to cause headaches on the odd day when it all clicks, but it's just not the top 4 team I thought it'd be.

You're asking me to remember something that's currently happening. The Dragons had the most incredibly soft schedule in history to start the season - culminating in a game against a Thurston-less Cows.They'll fall apart when they play some decent teams.
I had almost forgotten what a complete and utter mong you are. Memory now fully restored.

Life's Good

Coach

So the Thurston injury was timed to happen when it did?? FMD.

Paullyboy

Coach
So the Thurston injury was timed to happen when it did?? FMD.

Why do people get so defensive about their team? You'd think I'd run over a Dragon's player with my car.

At no point did I suggest the Dragons have done anything untoward, I merely pointed out how incredibly fortunate they've been with the way the draw has fallen for them.

Big Salad

Juniors
It feels like the whole team is suffering second year syndrome on the back of last year's good run.

That said, they are specials to beat the Broncos tonight. It's precisely the type of game the Broncos are prone to losing.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Haha wow. How I dare I point out that your team has had a fortunate start to the season. What a mong indeed.
In what way has it been fortunate? We got the Cowboys without JT, but they still had a very handy side on the paddock. Beaten pre-season favourites Penrith, the premiers away from home, would have knocked off the Roosters if Widdop stayed on the park. You are kidding yourself if you don't think the saints have proven themselves to be a top 6 side this year

Life's Good

Coach
Why do people get so defensive about their team? You'd think I'd run over a Dragon's player with my car.

At no point did I suggest the Dragons have done anything untoward, I merely pointed out how incredibly fortunate they've been with the way the draw has fallen for them.
Not defensive at all. My post has nothing to do with the draw but the comment relating to Thurston not being available as if it was engineered for our advantage.

blaza88z

Coach
Out of all the Dragons wins the Sharks game was their only win of note and it was a good win there's no doubting that, the Dragons are in the position where they were so bad last year that fans are just expecting them to fall away so inevitably there will be people who doubt their current run of success and how legitimate it actually is, especially given everything just seems to have fallen into place for them at the right times and also they've had a good bit of luck with injuries, until now that is.

Beating Penrith, well.. that has turned out to be a week to week occurrence, Penrith have only won 2 games this year (Knights and Tigers).

The thing I don't understand and maybe someone can enlighten me but how you can be so sure that they would have beaten the Roosters had Widdop stayed on the field? That would be like a Cowboys fan saying they would have beaten you if Thurston was fit, do you see what I am saying? It's a cop out way of saying "well you guys won, BUT..." and I don't think it's a reasonable thing to say, any number of things could have happened, you don't know for sure.

Anyways back on topic, yeah Penrith are shit.

betcats

Referee
It feels like the whole team is suffering second year syndrome on the back of last year's good run.

I think this is somewhere close to the truth. Attitude-wise we have been way off all year, you only have to look at our round 1 performance to see that. The coach literally said yesterday that we aren't desperate for a win yet(season is almost gone but whatever) so it feels like both the coach and playing group just feel like it is going to happen automatically, we look like a soft team who has forgotten you have to work hard for every success and just expected with all the hype and the squad improving that the results would improve. We've lost four in a row and the clubs social media accounts are still posting pics of the players running around laughing and smiling every week as if its all rosey.

Paullyboy

Coach
In what way has it been fortunate? We got the Cowboys without JT, but they still had a very handy side on the paddock. Beaten pre-season favourites Penrith, the premiers away from home, would have knocked off the Roosters if Widdop stayed on the park. You are kidding yourself if you don't think the saints have proven themselves to be a top 6 side this year

Mate, you've played a Panthers team who have been proven to be duds, smashed by a very inconsistent Eels team, solid win against the Sharks (I'll pay that), and then wins against a hapless Warriors (pre-Foran), an even more hapless TIgers and a Manly team who were absolutely abhorrent and then a Cowboys team without JT.

Against the Roosters your only two tries came from really poor missed tackles.

I'm surprised this hasn't turned into "oh yeah, well the Raiders lost to..." - the typical response of a halfwit. I'm fully aware the Raiders aren't playing great, but I'm honest enough to appreciate it. Dragons fans don't seem to be able to do that.

A healthy Dragons is good for the league, so I'd quite like to be proven wrong, I just fully expect that they've just started a 3 game (probably 4 given the Warriors now have their full spine available) losing streak and they'll be back out of the 8 where they realistically belong.

Paullyboy

Coach
Not defensive at all. My post has nothing to do with the draw but the comment relating to Thurston not being available as if it was engineered for our advantage.

I said it was a ridiculously soft schedule to start the year, culminating in the Thurston injury.

I find it hard to believe even the most one-eyed Dragons fan could disagree.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Mate, you've played a Panthers team who have been proven to be duds, smashed by a very inconsistent Eels team, solid win against the Sharks (I'll pay that), and then wins against a hapless Warriors (pre-Foran), an even more hapless TIgers and a Manly team who were absolutely abhorrent and then a Cowboys team without JT.

Against the Roosters your only two tries came from really poor missed tackles.

I'm surprised this hasn't turned into "oh yeah, well the Raiders lost to..." - the typical response of a halfwit. I'm fully aware the Raiders aren't playing great, but I'm honest enough to appreciate it. Dragons fans don't seem to be able to do that.

A healthy Dragons is good for the league, so I'd quite like to be proven wrong, I just fully expect that they've just started a 3 game (probably 4 given the Warriors now have their full spine available) losing streak and they'll be back out of the 8 where they realistically belong.

No mention of the fact that Manly (at Brookvale, mind you) were close to the form team of the comp when we played them, coming off a win Nth Qld in Townsville and 3 straight wins? I wonder if our defensive pressure had anything to do with them playing so poorly with ball in hand? Nah...

And tries coming from missed tackles?!?! What is this sorcery?
Our pack has been producing some outstanding efforts, and the attack has produced the most number of points of any side. Can we beat the likes of the current premiership heavyweights in the Raiders, Roosters, Cows at full strength in a final? That remains to be seen, but we have shown already we deserve to be back playing finals footy and are the real deal this year... despite having blokes like McGroan stinking up the side.

DeeJ

Bench

That said, they are specials to beat the Broncos tonight. It's precisely the type of game the Broncos are prone to losing.

Yup, Brisbane always lose 'meant to win' games against Panthers and Bulldogs for some reason.

I also agree they have second year syndrome but also think they were too highly rated in the off season. They had an exciting and unexpected year season last year, but in no way looked like they would contend for the title this year.