What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Armchair Coach/Selector time

Happy MEel

First Grade
I respect your opinion MJC but if fit, I can't see anyone other that Gutho in the 1. This leaves French as a huge issue. If we had a Ropana or a Coteric on the other wing we could have Bev on the other but this year we just dont have that typer of player. Agreed that Gutho would make a great center but hes a magnificent fullback.
Agreed. I reckon French could be the unlucky odd man out. He’s the kind of player that other teams may need so I think it would be worth shopping him around to free up space for 2019.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Couldnt write those words cause he can be brilliant but you may be right. NQ or Storm wouldnt surprise also Cronulla could do with a few more fullbacks.

emjaycee

Coach
You may be right but I simply cannot see BA and the club letting him go. The fanfare they showed prior and during his debut year... he was heralded as "the future" of the club. A spot will be found for him I am sure.

Eelementary

Post Whore
At the risk of being "that guy"...

Would it perhaps be worthwhile spending some time into developing French into a nippy dummy-half?

He has a good tackling technique, and is actually very strong for his size - and he's bigger than Kaysa.

He's also very skillful.

And on top of that, he has pure speed - he'd be dynamite running at tired markers out of dummy-half, imo.

Last edited:

Would it perhaps be worthwhile spending some time into developing French into a nippy dummy-half?

He has a food tackling technique, and is actually very strong for his size - and he's bigger than Kaysa.

He's also very skillful.

And on top of that, he has pure speed - he'd be dynamite running at tired markers out of dummy-half, imo.
Likes his tucker, does he?

I think he's too weak for that but what would I know? I suggested moving him to six.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Likes his tucker, does he?

I think he's too weak for that but what would I know? I suggested moving him to six.

Well, Pritchard goes ok defensively.

But Kaysa can't pass the ball properly.

I've heard people make comments that French can't play fullback because he can't make try-saving tackles - I've seen him make some brilliant tackles.

It would take time to convert him, but hes a good enough player to warrant the effort, imo.

Well, Pritchard goes ok defensively.

But Kaysa can't pass the ball properly.

I've heard people make comments that French can't play fullback because he can't make try-saving tackles - I've seen him make some brilliant tackles.

It would take time to convert him, but hes a good enough player to warrant the effort, imo.
I think we're just trying to find a position for him because he's a talented player but the reality might be that if he can't make it as an outside back then he won't have a future in the NRL. And on current form I wouldn't have him in the side.

Gazzamatta

Coach
There was an article before game one this year where it was stated French wouldn't sign for unders. This could be a huge issue if Parra is not playing him fullback.

T.S Quint

Coach

He has a good tackling technique, and is actually very strong for his size - and he's bigger than Kaysa.

He's also very skillful.

I'm not sure how strong for his size he is.
He gets demolished in just about every tackle he is in. You don't see that from someone like Slater, who is strong for his size.

He has made some fantastic try savers during his time, but I have a feeling that would have more to do with timing and anticipation as opposed to strength.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Corey Thompson, Ponga, Coote, Johnston, Moylan, Edwards, Slater and probably more are no bigger than French.
I suspect BA likes his FB to take the shortest route to the defence from kick returns. Other FBs tend to skirt the defence attempting to isolate defenders. I cant see why we persist with this tactic. It certainly dosent utilise Frenchs speed.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Food for thought:

Damien Cook 178cm and 86kg
Isaac Luke 174cm and 91kg
Cameron McInnis 177cm and 89kg
Bevan French 181cm and 83kg

He could put on some bulk.

emjaycee

Coach
Unless he was going to be converted to number 9 in the next 19 weeks, Mahoney starts 2019 with that spot

Dibs

Bench
I respect your opinion MJC but if fit, I can't see anyone other that Gutho in the 1. This leaves French as a huge issue. If we had a Ropana or a Coteric on the other wing we could have Bev on the other but this year we just dont have that typer of player. Agreed that Gutho would make a great center but hes a magnificent fullback.
Well I don’t respect it. He tells me he is going to name our best 17 and gives me 18 names, now I’m f*cking confused as to who our best 17 actually is

Last edited:

Chipmunk

Coach
You may be right but I simply cannot see BA and the club letting him go. The fanfare they showed prior and during his debut year... he was heralded as "the future" of the club. A spot will be found for him I am sure.

The Panthers had similar thoughts on Moylan, but when a better option came along he was punted

The Roosters at some point had similar thoughts on Pearce.

Latest posts