What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ask Oz

Hallatia

Referee
hey Oz,

why do people peel citrus fruits before they eat them when they can eat what they've peeled? Throwing it away is just wasting food, if you are using the zest of a lemon you would eat what's left of it only throwing away the seeds, so why can't you just eat a whole lemon with the skin on? Same goes for limes and oranges, I am not actually sure about other citrus fruits, I just assume they all operate in the same way ...

TheParraboy

Staff member
ive seen an elderly lady eat a whole hairy kiwi fruit once, probably expalins why she was over 100 yeards old and hairy herself...

TooheysNew

Coach
hey Oz,

why do people peel citrus fruits before they eat them when they can eat what they've peeled? Throwing it away is just wasting food, if you are using the zest of a lemon you would eat what's left of it only throwing away the seeds, so why can't you just eat a whole lemon with the skin on? Same goes for limes and oranges, I am not actually sure about other citrus fruits, I just assume they all operate in the same way ...
You don't cook, do you.

You eat the zest. Not the pith.

ozbash

Referee
hey Oz,

Top question Hallatia, and one I'm sure most people think about at least twice a day.

Did you know that most citrus fruits (grapefruit, lemons,limes, oranges) eat the bad cholesterol. Check with your GP if you are taking prescription medications before ripping into grapefruit !!

and,
If you bend a piece of orange skin up against a naked flame (match or lighter) the juice will explode !
You could run your car on it.

Best place for citrus peel is under the citrus tree.

NEXT

ozbash

Referee
ive seen an elderly lady eat a whole hairy kiwi fruit once, probably expalins why she was over 100 yeards old and hairy herself...

You might like to warn the old duck about the dangers of eating unpeeled Kiwifruit PB.

Kiwifruit is one of the few fruits that are not washed from the time its picked until when it ends up on a plate. Water stains it and buyers wont buy stained fruit !

Also, I was involved in the Kiwifruit industry for quite a few years, the sprays are horrendus. There is spray that can kill you, Spray that can make you sterile. A pre bud spray is used early on in the season, the driver cant drink alchohol for 2 weeks after applying it (Hi-Cane).

If you saw the process, you more than likely wouldnt eat it..

NEXT