What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AusKick is not Aussie Rules

spritzer

I know what you said. 30 minute skills, then a 30 minute game because kids have a limited attention span. If you, as a coach, can only keep their attention for 30 minutes at a session, then you're doing a poor job and should have another look at the manual for things to keep them occupied.

As I said above, 30 minutes on skills is poor and a reflection on the coach. 5-10 minutes alone should be on warm ups and stretches.

Fair point although I made sure game time was limited to no more than 15 minutes.

You are working on the theory that a auskick sesion goes for exactly 60 minutes, it does not, some kids will hang around longer to have a kick, some will go earlier, nothing is cut and dried, 30 minutes on skills, 30 minutes for a game = 2 x 15 minute halves, or 3 x 10 min, couple of minutes either side for stretching, warm ups, and a bit of a quick talk on what we will do for the session.

Kids who i have coached prefer a game to skills sessions, who doesnt !!, if you have ever coached I feel sorry for your kids, seeing you limit them to 15 minutes, and seeing you are throwing around labels here, perhaps you are the poor coach ?.

You can actually teach, and the kids can learn far more during game, than skills sessions.

spritzer

It was your childish argument:

You are not at the :lol:coal face:lol: in Queensland so by your own logic you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

The only person who has admitted that they have no involvement in the Queensland junior system is you.

You mean the link that I posted as a specific example of how the AFL fudges their numbers?

Learn how to read a methodology report, idiot.

As Karl said:

The Auskick numbers are dodgy.

I am involved in the running of a junior Australian football, you are involved in your computer, googling Australian football, and attempting to run it down, thats a huge contrast !.

The ERASS survey you linked is for people over 15, it does not involve auskick, auskick numbers, or primary schools , so i dont now how you link them , perhaps you just misread it, or misunderstand it, which seems to be a common point, which runs through all your posts.

AuckMel

Bench
spritzer said:
You are working on the theory that a auskick sesion goes for exactly 60 minutes,

Nope. Never said that. That's what you said.

spritzer said:
some kids will hang around longer to have a kick, some will go earlier, nothing is cut and dried, 30 minutes on skills, 30 minutes for a game = 2 x 15 minute halves, or 3 x 10 min, couple of minutes either side for stretching, warm ups, and a bit of a quick talk on what we will do for the session.

Perhaps you could be this clearer in the future.

spritzer said:
Kids who i have coached prefer a game to skills sessions, who doesnt !!, if you have ever coached I feel sorry for your kids, seeing you limit them to 15 minutes, and seeing you are throwing around labels here, perhaps you are the poor coach ?.

For making sure they had the skills needed before they play a game? I don't think that's a reflection of a poor coach, in fact I'd say that's the makings of a great coach.

spritzer said:
You can actually teach, and the kids can learn far more during game, than skills sessions.

You sound more like a junior coach than an AusKick coach.

Just out of curiosity, which club are you involved in?

docbrown

Coach
I am involved in the running of a junior Australian football,

What do you want, a medal, hero?

The ERASS survey you linked is for people over 15, it does not involve auskick, auskick numbers, or primary schools , so i dont now how you link them , perhaps you just misread it, or misunderstand it, which seems to be a common point, which runs through all your posts.

You've totally lost it.

You want to point out exactly where I claimed those numbers were from Auskick? The Auskick numbers I was referring to were from the Lions newsletter and I didn't even post that.

Here's the ERASS post:

docbrown said:
For example-

http://www.ausport.gov.au/__data/ass...eport_2010.pdf

In this report in NSW & QLD AFL is listed as having a higher participation rate than Rugby Union.

spritzer said:
I might also note that in the link that you provided Australian football is in the top ten CLUB based sports in Australia, rugby league is not.

docbrown said:
You mean the link that I posted as a specific example of how the AFL fudges their numbers?

You see me mention Auskick in any of that? I was merely pointing out the incredulity of AFL participation numbers in general, moron. It's laughable that people would even think that AFL had a higher participation rate than union in NSW & QLD and I say this as someone who dislikes union.

I think you've only just read the report and noticed the age samples but you've totally confused and merged two seperate posts together in your head.

Seriously, go get some sleep and come back when you've got something intelligent to say.

Last edited:

spritzer

What do you want, a medal, hero?

You've totally lost it.

You want to point out exactly where I claimed those numbers were from Auskick? The Auskick numbers I was referring to were from the Lions newsletter and I didn't even post that.

Here's the ERASS post:

You see me mention Auskick in any of that? I was merely pointing out the incredulity of AFL participation numbers in general, moron. It's laughable that people would even think that AFL had a higher participation rate than union in NSW & QLD and I say this as someone who dislikes union.

I think you've only just read the report and noticed the age samples but you've totally confused and merged two seperate posts together in your head.

Seriously, go get some sleep and come back when you've got something intelligent to say.

It appears that you dislike quite a lot !.

If any one looks like a moron, its you, the survey is not conducted by the AFL, NRL or Basketball Oz, but by the Australian Sports Commission, so how precisely do you think participation numbers are so incredibly dodgy, seeing the sample they rang was over 21,000 people all across Australia.

Just a guess, but you are probably thinking that the AFL intercepted telephone lines, and somehow stacked the numbers, is that right ?.

Seeing every second post from you begins or ends with "auskick numbers are dodgy", its pretty easy to see what consumes your waking hours.

As i stated before, one of us is involved in a kids sport, whilst the other from behind his computer attempts to run it down at every opportunity, you must be so proud.

docbrown

Coach
If any one looks like a moron, its you, the survey is not conducted by the AFL, NRL or Basketball Oz, but by the Australian Sports Commission, so how precisely do you think participation numbers are so incredibly dodgy, seeing the sample they rang was over 21,000 people all across Australia.

The phone interview is only one part of it. If you had read the full ERASS methodology statement like I told you to you rather than go off on random stupid tangents you would know that it is weighted against the ABS numbers from numbers supplied by individual competitions to the state agencies.

As i stated before, one of us is involved in a kids sport
Your reasons for wanting to be close to children are likely to be less than altruistic.

Last edited:

spritzer

The phone interview is only one part of it. If you had read the full ERASS methodology statement like I told you to you run than go off on random stupid tangents you would know that it is weighted against the ABS numbers from numbers supplied by individual competitions to the state agencies.

Your reasons for wanting to be close to children are likely to be less than altruistic.

So if we take that further, it would be your opinion that only the Australian Football state bodies have exagerated or lied about there particiaption numbers, because from behind your little computer there, you know the truth ?.

As far as coaching kids goes, i enjoy it, and your childish remarks are just another example of the type of person you are.

docbrown

Coach
Let's have a look at some of Spritzer's fascinating posts about rugby league thus far - I mean why else would you sign up to a webpage about rugby league unless you like the sport?

Pretty much just a string of lame posts claiming that TV ratings should be ignored (because they favour rugby league):

spritzer said:
A even more saner argument would be, to not argue flawed and debatable TV figures that can be twisted and fudged to say whatever you want them to say. A sane argument would be to argue crowd numbers, memberships, sponsorship dollars, national presence, money made from TV rights, overall revenue, participation numbers and just about any other indicator you can care to name".

spritzer said:
Well, they are flawed if regional WA, SA and Tassie are not included.

sprizer said:
YES OZTAM includes quite a few regional areas, close to the cities, in its compilation, but these are the figures outside OZTAM areas.

The OZTAM website states how many viewers it represents in any year, in any state, it is pretty simple to view those numbers, then minus those off the entire state population, and presto around 1.2 million people are not represented in TV ratings from regional WA, SA and Tassie.

So you're not just an expert on Auskick, you're also a self professed expert on the television industry, trying to run the sport down from behind your computer...

docbrown

Coach
So if we take that further, it would be your opinion that only the Australian Football state bodies have exagerated or lied about there particiaption numbers, because from behind your little computer there, you know the truth ?.

As far as coaching kids goes, i enjoy it, and your childish remarks are just another example of the type of person you are.

:-({|=

Have a cry troll.

spritzer

:-({|=

Have a cry troll.

Pretty easy to run, and claim troll, rather than deal with what you raised.

IYO, if participation figures were fudged by the state bodies, were the AFL the only ones to do it ?, and by what %.

You have claimed they are, so how about some proof, or at least a guess, your pretty good at misrepresenting, misreading, and mixing things up, it should be a pretty amusing read.

Hoops

Juniors
What are you mumbling on about?

AFL run Auskick. If a kid gets forced to do Auskick for PE without a choice he is included in the AFL's annual participation numbers whether he wants to or not. They will become part of that grand total number that gets thrown about in the annual report. Alot of the time too the same number overlaps with primary school participation and they get counted twice.

These are the numbers they submit for government reporting. For example-

http://www.ausport.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0018/436122/ERASS_Report_2010.pdf

In this report in NSW & QLD AFL is listed as having a higher participation rate than Rugby Union. :roll:
Wrong! Auskick and School participation are separate. You have to sign on for Auskick.

those ausport figures are from abs surveys and has nothing to do with what the AFL report

So stop peddling myths to counter your own insecurity

El Diablo

Post Whore
Wrong! Auskick and School participation are separate. You have to sign on for Auskick.

those ausport figures are from abs surveys and has nothing to do with what the AFL report

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl-seize-power-from-tv-stations/story-e6freye0-1225849328582

Kidnapped: Proof AFL's conning us
THIS is 10-year-old Tom Watson, who the AFL list as one of their players.

He's not.

Watson has played junior rugby league for Baulkham Hills for the past four years.

He also spent four hours at an AFL Ozkick clinic - which is good enough for the southern code to claim him as one of their participants in Sydney's west.

A story in the other Sunday newspaper last week suggested the AFL had more than 30,000 participants in NSW. The real number is more like 5000.

His dad Scott told us: "Tom is a rugby league player and supporter and it's not right the other code is using him to make their numbers."

NSW Rugby League chief executive Geoff Carr slammed the AFL for "dishonesty".

"We have 26,000 legitimate participants in juniors," Carr said. "The AFL has about 2800. They are our figures from the sports and recreation body.

"They are being dishonest by going to governments for support with these poker machine numbers. Ozkick is just an experience for kids - it's not regular participation."

Surely last Saturday night's crowd figure at Homebush for the Swans-St Kilda game would be a concern for Andrew Demetriou and co.

The 31,330 was their second-lowest home and away crowd at Homebush - and that's despite all the promotion from playing two pre-season games at Blacktown. Incidentally, when the Swans last played St Kilda at Homebush, the crowd was 63,369. Now they can't even get half that.

docbrown

Coach

Another troll comes out of the woodwork to support his buddy :cry::cry::cry::lol:

spritzer

FFS,It was club membership not club competition. :oops:

Yep, he was and still is way off the mark, anyone who has anything to do with Australian football knows the difference between auskick, where you must sign up, and in nearly all cases pay, and someone turning up at your school taking the class through some drills and maybe a modified game, which all sports do, or should do with their development officers.

Here is a example of auskick in Cairns after school at the school :
http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_...ID=56358&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=18363934

Auskick Term 1 2012:
Trinity Beach SS - Monday February 20 from 3:00pm for duration of School Term - $60.00
Holy Cross - Monday February 20 from 3:00pm for duration of School Term - $60.00
St Therese - Tuesday March 13 and Thursday March 15 from 3:00pm for duration of School Term - $60.00
OLHOC - Tuesday February 21 from 3:00pm for duration of School Term - $60.00
Mother of Good Counsel - Wednesday February 22 from 3:00pm for duration of School Term - $60.00

Here is one from Western Sydney in 2010, they are all after school auskick centres, where you must sign up and pay.

http://www.aflnswact.com.au/fileadmin/user_upload/Documents/Schools/After-school_programs.xls

School participation at school is not auskick, people either are misunderstanding, using the wrong terminoligy or just plain ignorant.

Doc brown thinks because he has sat behind a computer for years and googled anything to do Australian football, he is some sort of authority on it, but because he has no REAL EXPERIENCE at a club, and the correct terminoligy he very easily gets confused.

As Lionel Hutz would say .
"There are participation Numbers & there ARE PARTICIPATION NUMBERS."

The only true indication is signed up juniors who play in a regular weekly comp .
Why then do the AFL always cite participation numbers & never touch real junior numbers..

Plus Spitzer & co ,why are you pair not touching the AFL caught out lying to the senate committe post..
Maybe it is because that would be admitting your sport tells lies & more lies when it comes to actual numbers.