What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Hunt's kicking game .... FAAAARK

Can someone explain to me why he so rarely kicks for the corners for territory? What is the theory behind kicking it straight to the fullback, albeit with a bit of height? Is he trying to execute an NFL style punt? Whatever he's thinking and trying has been clearly BS for years now yet he still continues to do it. Evidence says this is as good as it gets so our only viable solution if we are to improve is to find a new HB.

Como Connection

First Grade
Can someone explain to me why he so rarely kicks for the corners for territory? What is the theory behind kicking it straight to the fullback, albeit with a bit of height? Is he trying to execute an NFL style punt? Whatever he's thinking and trying has been clearly BS for years now yet he still continues to do it. Evidence says this is as good as it gets so our only viable solution if we are to improve is to find a new HB.
Jamie was a champ at that kick, crazy this doesn't happen.
CC

This is our biggest downfall, the kicks were lame and simple to diffuse/manage and this puts our team under pressure and on the back foot all game long. Hunt is a liability, I am in little doubt. Flannagan and Griffin before him seem to think he is their only hope. Griffin fell, we continue to lose most matches, yet Hunt still kicks almost exclusively. The best kick we have done in decades was Zac Lomax's 40m field goal against the Warriors...could Hunt have even got close?

he put in what,...3 kicks that were so deep they were nearly dead on the full.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Do you want Bud back?
Not really that ship has sailed, but anyone else at 7 if Hunt goes to 9. I am just sick of forwards getting slammed when he is just as bad as they are. He is just as much the problem as they are sometimes. I don't think HUnt with a better pack will play any better. It's not as if the forwards are not getting him in any good position? He gets close to the line and most of the times screws it up. Hardly ever a repeat set.

Of the halves that have left Saints Tristian Sailor is the one that looks the goods and would help the current squad we have.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
We need a deadset playmaking half. We also need a couple of big bastard middle forwards who are hard to handle and tire the opposition. The Sharks players were told to defend and not let us gain too much advantage in attack and as such we couldn't score in the second half because of that and of course Ben Hunt not controlling the game.

It was a very disappointing game in the end for us. I was hoping that the half time score would be full-time but knew that we still had 40 minutes to go and again, we don't beat the Sharks - our big bogey team.
When we played the Roosters, there was only one million dollar half-back on display- and it wasn't Ben Hunt. He continued his mediocrity against the Sharks. He is a valuable dummy half player for Queensland off the bench and mainly because he is surrounded by quality players (unlike at the Dragons).

Souths- after initially waxing lyrical about Ilias as Reynolds long-term replacement and also making positive noises about Dean Hawkins, have had to admit the inevitable- there isn't an elite organising half-back on the market in Australia and they've raided St Helens for the current England half- back. Some have said they've signed the wrong half-back and there's some evidence for that-St Helens were last weekend smashed 40-20 by Hull Kingston Rovers- the Rovers half -22yo Mikey Lewis -played all over Dodds and scored 20 points (six goals from seven attempts and two tries.

We should be checking him out.

John moz

Juniors
Ben hunt at no 9 is a better option near the line would be damaging. Dragons sign a quality no 7 asap and forget buying forwards we have plenty.

Dragon David

First Grade
To be fair, it's not just Hunt. We haven't had a decent kicking game since the Bennett years. Since then, it doesn't matter who has been at halfback, every kick is the same...a midfield bomb. They either don't know or cannot kick to a corner...
Yes, not like Soward's pinpoint corner kicks. Only comes with plenty of practise that I am amazed does not seem to be remotely part of their training schedule seeing that it is absent from the games for years.

oh you must have missed 2009 - 2011........sorry to hear about that. Small guy in headgear wearing number 6 might be worth checking out.
Haha.
Let me think.....
SOWIE.
I love SOWIE.

But back to the topic - Hunt.
I have also been a Hunt fan - well, at least last year and earlier this year, but he has gone missing in the past few BIG games.
We need more from him that is for sure.

But no suitable replacement.
I think we just need to stick with him in the short term.
It’s painful though...
Very painful.

Phantom V

Juniors
When we played the Roosters, there was only one million dollar half-back on display- and it wasn't Ben Hunt. He continued his mediocrity against the Sharks. He is a valuable dummy half player for Queensland off the bench and mainly because he is surrounded by quality players (unlike at the Dragons).

Souths- after initially waxing lyrical about Ilias as Reynolds long-term replacement and also making positive noises about Dean Hawkins, have had to admit the inevitable- there isn't an elite organising half-back on the market in Australia and they've raided St Helens for the current England half- back. Some have said they've signed the wrong half-back and there's some evidence for that-St Helens were last weekend smashed 40-20 by Hull Kingston Rovers- the Rovers half -22yo Mikey Lewis -played all over Dodds and scored 20 points (six goals from seven attempts and two tries.

I think it’s a huge risk looking for a half from the Super League. It’s a different game all together and the halves have more time to create. Many big names have come and failed in the NRL. If anything I would be looking at mobile middles.

redv13

Bench
I think it’s a huge risk looking for a half from the Super League. It’s a different game all together and the halves have more time to create. Many big names have come and failed in the NRL. If anything I would be looking at mobile middles.
George Williams went pretty well at the raiders

Inisai Toga

Juniors
But why do they allow it as part of the game plan; if he can’t execute it give it someone who can. I can only assume that they (coaching staff) are content with it? Fascinating………

D
But why do they allow it as part of the game plan; if he can’t execute it give it someone who can. I can only assume that they (coaching staff) are content with it? Fascinating………
Does he even have the "floating" or "torpedo" bomb in his repertoire? I've only ever seen him kick the traditional "end over end" which most FB / wingers gobble up with ease.

Dragon David

First Grade

Definitely R&W4evr.

Ben Hunt lacks craftiness. A really good half back is like a jack in the box - springing here and there and using guile and cunningness to bamboozle the opposition. Speed, agility and everything else that Hunt is now over the hill to do. That is why most good halves are paid good money as they should be the ones organising the team and creating a bloody nuisance and setting up tries.

A lot of the Pommy halves have those qualities. Mikey Lewis and Jai Field would not go astray in our squad that is for sure.

Last edited:

Latest posts