What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flannos 2024 KPIs

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
With the team for 2024 getting finalised, its time to set the KPIs to assess Flanno on at the end of the season.

1. Fitness - our fitness levels were way below other teams in the comp at the start of the year and whilst the effort increased once Hook was fired, its hard to get the fitness level up during the season. In any of our games we lost by less than 6 points - shows our effort mainly in defence. We should be at least equal in energy to the top sides in the last 15 minutes of games.

2. Game Play - They don't record these stats but I believe we would easily have the lowest point of impact into the defensive line from the play the ball i.e. the lateral distance from the play the ball to the point that our runners hit the line. If we have a smaller forward pack (as we do) then we need to move the opposition forwards left to right as well as forward and back. We need to shift the ball around more ie 2 passes out from the ruck and then switches back inside with the likes of Sloane running up th e centre into gaps created by tiring forwards. Our standard play structure should aim to be a high tempo game with the ball moving the ruck across the field.

3. kicking Game - Last years kicking game was terrible. How many times did we kick the ball and not get much distances yet no obe contests the ball in the air. We need to mix up our kickers - not allows going to hunt. Wingers and Centres need to be ready to challenge bombs.

4. Sloane - 2023 was an improved year for him - his kick returns improved greatly - he stopped been a Dufty stopping at the line. This year he needs to improve his defense - stop taking the easy way out and go for the intercept rather than tackling the player. I think Flanno will do this and this alone will take him to the player he can be.

5. Props - to be honest this is the worst space, we are miles behind all other teams and we could not recruit a couple of big strong props. Strong teams will run through the centre and Flanno wil need to create a game plan that moves and tires attacking teams with big forwards. I have hopes for our juniors and maybe one big prop for next year.

6 Attitude - Our attitude improved greatly in the second half of last year, Flanno needs to fix Hunt's attitude as it has an affect on the ret of the team.

7. Halves - I think Flanno should contemplate moving Hunt to 6 and leave the team running to the new half from NZ. He seems a natural half, whilst Hunt is more a running half. ALso not every ball should be sent Hunts way.

What's everyone elses view on the KPIs and plans that are required for 2024?

The Word

Juniors
KPI's:

-Top 8 (will be hard given the tools at his disposal but not impossible)
-Improve the players in the top 30, toughness, fitness, game management and strategy
-Bring through young players at the appropriate time
-Improve the squad with high quality acquisitions for 2025 and beyond
-Improve the culture and mentality of the Top 30, constant improvement and focus on winning should the norm
-Provide opinion and ideas on the junior development systems of St George and Illawarra

Last edited:

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I am hoping 2024 has most if not all junior teams firing and playing deep in finals. Recruitment is getting tough and Saints need to really rely on the pathways going forward. If Flanno and his team can get that on track that would be great.

I want to see Flanno bring out the best in Couchmans, Sloan, Feagai, Liddle, Suli, Lomax and Lawrie and get JDB, F.Molo, Su'a playing their best again and in the frame for Origin. If all 3 crack origin which they can easily do if they get to their best then Saints have 3 Origin forwards. With Hunt as well Saints could possibly have 4 Origin players in the squad which is not bad at all. I think Lomax and possibly Suli if they play to their peak may even get close.

Get Hunt away from the media and to love the Saints again. He needs to be 100% on board and if Saints want to make finals, he needs to play at his best.

I will be happy for a 10th to 7th placing for Saints in 2024. That would be a pass mark for me.

Last edited:

dragon64

Juniors
I am hoping 2024 has most if not all junior teams firing and playing deep in finals. Recruitment is getting tough and Saints need to really rely on the pathways going forward. If Flanno and his team can get that on track that would be great.

I want to see Flanno bring out the best in Couchmans, Sloan, Feagai, Liddle, Suli, Lomax and Lawrie and get JDB, F.Molo, Su'a playing their best again and in the frame for Origin. If all 3 crack origin which they can easily do if they get to their best then Saints have 3 Origin forwards. With Hunt as well Saints could possibly have 4 Origin players in the squad which is not bad at all. I think Lomax and possibly Suli if they play to their peak may even get close.

Get Hunt away from the media and to love the Saints again. He needs to be 100% on board and if so Saints want to make finals, he needs to play at his best.

I will be happy for a 10th to 7th placing for Saints in 2024. That would be a pass mark for me.
Happy new year guys,
I think the first thing that needs to be done is change the attitude right across the club, this will go a long way to improving some of the problems on the field.
Secondly I would put Hunt at hooker here and then during the year to get our future halves combining together. This is crucial for the team going forward in the future, especiallyif Hunt goes in October.
Flanno is already doing what needs to be done in the fitness department, this was one of the worst parts of our team last year and it showed, and with deeno back on board hopefully he will push the big boys like blocka to get super fit and hungry for the ball.
Last, if the boys can get their attitude, fitness and hunger to win at top level then there is no reason why they can't push the top teams all the way or even beat them.

Old Timer

Coach
KPI's for the forum
1. Stop thinking every flashy junior is going to be a 1st grader so is therefore a keeper and must be paid big $$$$ to do so.
2. Stop blaming coaches for not selecting juniors when they are not ready physically or mentally.
3. Stop over rating our squad and see it for what it really is namely ordinary with little to no depth.
4. Stop finding ways to think that a coach alone can fix this un-holly mess we find ourselves in.

since77

Juniors
@BLM01 - love your number 10, and @Como Connection - that would be nice too.

I'm not expecting miracles this year but I do expect noticeable improvement. And I'd love to hope that they'll surprise us.

In 2024, I'll be happy if the team can achieve these things:

1. Please, please , please - defence that doesn't leak points under the slightest of pressure.
2. Enterprising attack.
3. A pack of forwards that holds its own and doesn't get dominated every game
4. Still be in the battle for 8th spot in the final few rounds.

Anything else is a bonus I'll happily take as something to build on for '25

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I think Carr taking over mid season from Hook as put the team in a better position to start 2024 than most people think. If Hook stayed on the whole season it would have been catastrophic. The boys started to aim up and were keeping teams like Penrith and the Storm on the ropes most of the game. Under Hook they would have been smashed. The boys would have got so much confidence from that and they seemed to be enjoying footy again. If Flanno took over and they were being smashed 30+ every game he would have had a tougher job not only to get them fitter but mentally prepared for 2024.

redVinme

Bench
KPI's for the forum
1. Stop thinking every flashy junior is going to be a 1st grader so is therefore a keeper and must be paid big $$$$ to do so.
2. Stop blaming coaches for not selecting juniors when they are not ready physically or mentally.
3. Stop over rating our squad and see it for what it really is namely ordinary with little to no depth.
4. Stop finding ways to think that a coach alone can fix this un-holly mess we find ourselves in.

Good to see you back on board and will be supporting the boys and Flano next year OT! Seems funny otherwise that you'd be setting forum KPIs if you won't be joining in the dialogue given your well documented thoughts about the coach? I thought this unholy mess was something you refused to be a part of?

Old Timer

Coach
Good to see you back on board and will be supporting the boys and Flano next year OT! Seems funny otherwise that you'd be setting forum KPIs if you won't be joining in the dialogue given your well documented thoughts about the coach? I thought this unholy mess was something you refused to be a part of?
Not at that point yet so just offering some age advice for the supporter's.

If they keep to my suggested KPI's they may have a chance of remaining sane by season end.

Sage63

Juniors
"I think Carr taking over mid season from Hook has put the team in a better position to start 2024 than most people think."
I think you're absolutely right Slippery!
I really thought Carr did a great job picking up a team that was demoralised and teaching them how to fight.
I believe that his passion for the Dragons was evident, and it was displayed by the improved performance of the team once he took over.
I really hope we do not lose him!

Sage63

Juniors

He is a saint's supporter through and through!

possm

Coach
Well, I'm desperately hoping for a miracle in 2024. Only God knows how Saints fans have suffered for so long; it's time for some divine intervention!

So let's start with the surprise of a much-improved pack of forwards with some vigorous young juniors stepping up to the mark. And jump to our feet each time our back 3 get the ball and make serious meters coming out of our red zone. .............

The Word

Juniors
KPI's for the forum
Damn I've already failed 3 of these KPI's and we're only halfway through pre-season.