What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flannos 2024 KPIs

Bennett always said the key fundamentals to success were:
1) No 1 priority. Get the defence in order.
A lot of other things will then fall into place.
2) Control and respect the football when in possession.

If we show marked improvement in these key areas, success will follow.
Being fitter, stronger and having greater endurance through our new fitness and strength coaches etc is the first step to getting things right in the off season.

2010Dragons

Bench
Bring back the "No Dickhead rule" sign and bolt it back on the wall in the sheds.

Get rid of dumb lazy dickheads who can not follow the club rules and obey society rules and laws.
Get rid of pay check hunters who have no pride or passion for this once MIGHTY Dragons club.
Teach some of these dumb ass players the rules of the game. I'm 100% sure that some of these clowns just don't understand the rules of the game.
Teach them to play 80 mins and NEVER give up.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Bring back the "No Dickhead rule" sign and bolt it back on the wall in the sheds.

Get rid of dumb lazy dickheads who can not follow the club rules and obey society rules and laws.
Get rid of pay check hunters who have no pride or passion for this once MIGHTY Dragons club.
Teach some of these dumb ass players the rules of the game. I'm 100% sure that some of these clowns just don't understand the rules of the game.
Teach them to play 80 mins and NEVER give up.
Spot on. Most of all make the players realise that it is a privilege to wear the red V jersey not a burden as they are representing one of the most iconic clubs in Rugby League history. Unfortunately you would not think that based on the NRL and media laying the boot in whenever they can. The greatest teams in any other code get talked up deluxe no matter how bad they are doing because they represent the code. Not the NRL, they talk up 2 clubs that cheated in Rugby League and had the biggest suspension for a club more than the club that is in the Guiness book of records that the world looks up to. I have heard them mention Saints record in different codes and it freaks me out how special it is what they achieved.

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
I really haven't contributed to this Thread but I agree with a lot of what you guys have already said. The main things for Flanno to do as part of his KPI's are always be upfront, straightforward, tell it as it is, no excuses, speak to the players respectfully and not to caste aspersions on any of the players without really good reason.

Have the ability to have other plans executed as soon as things go awry.

kit66

Bench
With the team for 2024 getting finalised, its time to set the KPIs to assess Flanno on at the end of the season.

1. Fitness - our fitness levels were way below other teams in the comp at the start of the year and whilst the effort increased once Hook was fired, its hard to get the fitness level up during the season. In any of our games we lost by less than 6 points - shows our effort mainly in defence. We should be at least equal in energy to the top sides in the last 15 minutes of games.

2. Game Play - They don't record these stats but I believe we would easily have the lowest point of impact into the defensive line from the play the ball i.e. the lateral distance from the play the ball to the point that our runners hit the line. If we have a smaller forward pack (as we do) then we need to move the opposition forwards left to right as well as forward and back. We need to shift the ball around more ie 2 passes out from the ruck and then switches back inside with the likes of Sloane running up th e centre into gaps created by tiring forwards. Our standard play structure should aim to be a high tempo game with the ball moving the ruck across the field.

3. kicking Game - Last years kicking game was terrible. How many times did we kick the ball and not get much distances yet no obe contests the ball in the air. We need to mix up our kickers - not allows going to hunt. Wingers and Centres need to be ready to challenge bombs.

4. Sloane - 2023 was an improved year for him - his kick returns improved greatly - he stopped been a Dufty stopping at the line. This year he needs to improve his defense - stop taking the easy way out and go for the intercept rather than tackling the player. I think Flanno will do this and this alone will take him to the player he can be.

5. Props - to be honest this is the worst space, we are miles behind all other teams and we could not recruit a couple of big strong props. Strong teams will run through the centre and Flanno wil need to create a game plan that moves and tires attacking teams with big forwards. I have hopes for our juniors and maybe one big prop for next year.

6 Attitude - Our attitude improved greatly in the second half of last year, Flanno needs to fix Hunt's attitude as it has an affect on the ret of the team.

7. Halves - I think Flanno should contemplate moving Hunt to 6 and leave the team running to the new half from NZ. He seems a natural half, whilst Hunt is more a running half. ALso not every ball should be sent Hunts way.

What's everyone elses view on the KPIs and plans that are required for 2024?

Great post, hard truths and some good ideas to fix our shortcomings.

1. Fitness. Absolutely, not just because we were gassed in the last quarter of games but also our intensity right from the start of games was low and when an opposition lifted, put the pedal to the metal, we were overwhelmed, we capitulated and let them run riot. There were close games where we needed to lift just a little to seal a victory but couldn't manage it. I hope Flanno gets us fit and firing, high intensity footy with Liddle leading by example and lots of ball movement and off-loads to trouble and tire the opposition - that's the modern game.
Another thing we lacked was was set plays, too much directionless nonsense, no plan. Flanno will give us structure and set plays for sure. We'll look like a team with focus and intent.

2. Game Play. Our forwards need to lift for sure, more intensity and some ball movement to move opposition packs around. F.Molo needs to use his 112kgs better, hit the line harder and bring back that off-load he used well at the Cowboys but which disappeared under Hook. Impact off the bench - ( 14. Bird 15. Lawrie, 16. BMM or MMolo, 17. T. Couchman - I'm starting Sele) Set plays, quick play the ball and spin it wide through the hands, depth in attack, decoys - watch the Roosters and Sharkies excute set plays and tear oppositions apart.

3. Kicking Game. Flanno jnr is a great kicker, long, short, grubbers and goals - as good a kicker as Norman but with other skills as well. He'll be a great help to Hunt, especially if he's in the 7 jersey and Hunt in the 6.
If we don't contest bombs and let them bounce as in recent years I'll have to put a wire cage in front of my telly, that's all I'm saying on that.

4. Sloan.....I've written a few posts about him this week that cover that but as you've mentioned Dufty - if Sloan learns to attack and pass like Dufty I'd be happy. I miss Dufty, truth be told - I'm glad he's tearing it up in SL.

5. Props. Our guys aren't big but their defence isn't that bad, on a good day they can mostly hold their own for 70 minutes. It's out wide where we lose games. Attack wise, yes we need some big metre-eating props, maybe 2025 we'll get some. I agree with your plans to tire out opposition packs - come on Flanno !

6. Attitude. We did show a better attitude at the back end of last year even though it didn't translate to points....or wins but we have to really work on that a lot more, it's everything. Some early wins will go a long way to instilling some self belief. Competition for spots is good too. Hunt's a professional, if he stays he'll hopefully settle in and do what he does best.

7. Halves. Yes ! Imagine Flanno at 7 and Sloan at 1 both organizing the troops and leaving Hunt free to run, to play heads up footy and to execute all those new set plays Flanno snr has planned for us. Would love to see it. I'm not in the Hunt to 9 brigade, not until we have a top notch half to replace him with, he's needed in the halves, crucial imho. I also think Volkman starts in reserves, see how he goes and give him a shot during SOO.

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
Great post, hard truths and some good ideas to fix our shortcomings.

1. Fitness. Absolutely, not just because we were gassed in the last quarter of games but also our intensity right from the start of games was low and when an opposition lifted, put the pedal to the metal, we were overwhelmed, we capitulated and let them run riot. There were close games where we needed to lift just a little to seal a victory but couldn't manage it. I hope Flanno gets us fit and firing, high intensity footy with Liddle leading by example and lots of ball movement and off-loads to trouble and tire the opposition - that's the modern game.
Another thing we lacked was was set plays, too much directionless nonsense, no plan. Flanno will give us structure and set plays for sure. We'll look like a team with focus and intent.

2. Game Play. Our forwards need to lift for sure, more intensity and some ball movement to move opposition packs around. F.Molo needs to use his 112kgs better, hit the line harder and bring back that off-load he used well at the Cowboys but which disappeared under Hook. Impact off the bench - ( 14. Bird 15. Lawrie, 16. BMM or MMolo, 17. T. Couchman - I'm starting Sele) Set plays, quick play the ball and spin it wide through the hands, depth in attack, decoys - watch the Roosters and Sharkies excute set plays and tear oppositions apart.

3. Kicking Game. Flanno jnr is a great kicker, long, short, grubbers and goals - as good a kicker as Norman but with other skills as well. He'll be a great help to Hunt, especially if he's in the 7 jersey and Hunt in the 6.
If we don't contest bombs and let them bounce as in recent years I'll have to put a wire cage in front of my telly, that's all I'm saying on that.

4. Sloan.....I've written a few posts about him this week that cover that but as you've mentioned Dufty - if Sloan learns to attack and pass like Dufty I'd be happy. I miss Dufty, truth be told - I'm glad he's tearing it up in SL.

5. Props. Our guys aren't big but their defence isn't that bad, on a good day they can mostly hold their own for 70 minutes. It's out wide where we lose games. Attack wise, yes we need some big metre-eating props, maybe 2025 we'll get some. I agree with your plans to tire out opposition packs - come on Flanno !

6. Attitude. We did show a better attitude at the back end of last year even though it didn't translate to points....or wins but we have to really work on that a lot more, it's everything. Some early wins will go a long way to instilling some self belief. Competition for spots is good too. Hunt's a professional, if he stays he'll hopefully settle in and do what he does best.

7. Halves. Yes ! Imagine Flanno at 7 and Sloan at 1 both organizing the troops and leaving Hunt free to run, to play heads up footy and to execute all those new set plays Flanno snr has planned for us. Would love to see it. I'm not in the Hunt to 9 brigade, not until we have a top notch half to replace him with, he's needed in the halves, crucial imho. I also think Volkman starts in reserves, see how he goes and give him a shot during SOO.
A very good post kit. You have covered many points that are all relevant and noteworthy. I too miss Dufty. Under Mary and Hook he wasn't the total fullback but under Flanno he could have been. I'd like to see if Flanno can produce a Ben Barba player who had that ability to chime in at will and score. Not too sure what his defence was like as I can't remember.

SEAT 1A

Bench
I really haven't contributed to this Thread but I agree with a lot of what you guys have already said. The main things for Flanno to do as part of his KPI's are always be upfront, straightforward, tell it as it is, no excuses, speak to the players respectfully and not to caste aspersions on any of the players without really good reason.

Have the ability to have other plans executed as soon as things go awry.

Agree whole heartedly with player coach relationship.

The players need to believe in whatever Flanno wants to deliver next year and over the offseason, I hope he's very hands on coaching the team.

Lift the club out of the bottom four and injuries have to be very kind.

Dragon David

First Grade
Agree whole heartedly with player coach relationship.

The players need to believe in whatever Flanno wants to deliver next year and over the offseason, I hope he's very hands on coaching the team.

Lift the club out of the bottom four and injuries have to be very kind.
That's it Seat 1A - injuries have to be kind to us particularly in the trial games. If we can manage to have most of our players injury free throughout the season - not major ones I am referring to - then it makes for better team work and combinations to function.

I expect injuries to happen, but please not be too many serious ones.

Kevin Ryan, Ken Kearney, Billy Wilson, Norm Provan, Harry Bath, Johnny Raper.

Bench: Ian Walsh, Elton Rasmussen, Brian, Monty Porter.
Pipe dream old mate. Then again all these guys werent superstars when they first played for the Dragons. The culture of the club made them into one. Only a measly two of our current roster, JDB and Blake Lawrie have what those greats above had, to know what it means to slip on the iconic Red V jumper and sweat blood for the club.

possm

Coach
I think Carr taking over mid season from Hook as put the team in a better position to start 2024 than most people think. If Hook stayed on the whole season it would have been catastrophic. The boys started to aim up and were keeping teams like Penrith and the Storm on the ropes most of the game. Under Hook they would have been smashed. The boys would have got so much confidence from that and they seemed to be enjoying footy again. If Flanno took over and they were being smashed 30+ every game he would have had a tougher job not only to get them fitter but mentally prepared for 2024.
I would have Rther Hook be sacked much earlier with Flanno being the replacement coach.

Is Carr the current coach for attack?

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Yes, Ryan Carr is the coach of attack which is good to see. I spotted him in the box on the weekend next to Dean Young. Ryan I feel showed that he can easily be a future NRL coach and I would go for him as a coach if the Flanno experiment fails in 3 years ahead of Dean Young. Compare what he did to Saints in the back end of last season to Mr Popular (Ciraldo) and Ryan finished way on top. Whilst Mr Popular finished with a toxic culture, Ryan did the opposite as I feel he inherited a toxic culture and made it into a great culture. Top marks to Ryan.