What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Off Season Buy

Johns Magic

Referee
Paterson and Johnson for Cowboys for me. How Newcastle let Cory walk I'll never know. He will be a rep player in next couple of years imo.

People have been saying that for the past 5 years.

He has been on rep money, and regressing since he debuted.

Iafeta

Referee
Mateo has a good 2 weeks and he's buy of the year? For what the Warriors paid him he should be buy of the year but he's nowhere close. Tariq Sims for me.

Two weeks :lol::lol::lol: Get that Bunniesgimp jizz off your chin, its infected your intellect. Mateo should be given an honourary post in the New Zealand Government based on how good he goes.

RHCP

Bench
People have been saying that for the past 5 years.

He has been on rep money, and regressing since he debuted.

This.

Dallas Johnson is right up there for mine. Not just on the field either, I'm sure he's brought a very good attitude in terms of training and work ethic to the Cowboys side.

Talanexor

Juniors
In my (admittedly biased) opinion, the Cowboys have had the best recruitment. But the thing is, a lot of the players we bought were NOT on huge money.

Cooper and Hall were journeyman backrowers, every clubs has plenty of these sorts of players.
Winterstein was a solid, but unspectacular winger.
Ashton was a fringe first grader who never managed to live up to expectations at any of his previous clubs
Tariq and KFFL were extraordinary talents, but young and inexperienced.

The only players we signed who were 'star' signings were Johnson and Tate. Tate's had that many injuries over his career though, and Johnson had been out of the NRL for a few seasons - both signed with us because they wanted to be in QLD for family reasons.

I think the biggest credit has to go to Neil Henry and the other coaching staff who managed to turn a bunch of journeymen and kids into solid firstgraders. I thought at the start of the season that our forward pack looked very shakey and inexperienced - but it's been our best asset all year.

From other clubs, I definitely agree that Mateo has been a great pickup by the Warriors. The Warriors have always had plenty of good forwards, but they were all the same type. Mateo gives them something different and adds a new element to their attack. I think Nathan Friend will be a great buy for them next year as well.

Best value for money would be Utai. Best value for money in Supercoach has to go to Houston.

proto

Juniors
Can't fault McGuire at all. Puts in and should be a genuine utility rather than a half. Seems better after a few other big duds coming back from the ESL

Noname36

First Grade
Paterson and Johnson for Cowboys for me. How Newcastle let Cory walk I'll never know. He will be a rep player in next couple of years imo. Johnson's given them the strach in the middle they so badly needed.

I don't give a shit if you have the potential to be a rep player. When you're on 300k, and make 30m and 2 tackles a game it's just not acceptable. Our previous management would have put up with that crap, but clearly Tinkler/Bennett wont.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Mateo has a good 2 weeks and he's buy of the year? For what the Warriors paid him he should be buy of the year but he's nowhere close. Tariq Sims for me.

Mateo has been fantastic. He has been killing it all season. So he couldn't do it for the Eels, suck it up and move on.

POPEYE

Coach
Maurice Blair will be great when he gets his diploma but Tariq is the bloke imo that everyone is jealous of

Big Pete

Referee
I'm more envious of Will and Gareth but then again I've been on the Tariq bandwagon since 2009...

One Warrior

Bench
Yep definitely.

I like Mateo and hope he does well for you guys. Do i think he's worth 350-400, no. But then again i dont think Sandow is worth whatever we will be paying him. It's all relative i guess, you guys needed a playmaking second rower and paid overs for Mateo, we needed a halfback and so next year we will be paying overs for Sandow.

The Warriors are one of the teams i wouldn't mind winning the whole thing and i'm hoping Feleti has a hand in it.

Absolutely, Mateo has been sensational for us, we have needed someone in the Ali Lautiiti role since he left and now we have it. Whatever we do this year Mateo will play a big role in it.

Spank

Juniors
Matt Utai has been sensational, taken up Tuiakis post on the wing and averaging almost the same meters... considering he is on a minimum contract i think he has been an outstanding buy

Latest posts