What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bird Contract

cb4

First Grade
Bird was ordinary. Made no impact at all.
For someone who wants the ball he doesn't do much with it.

The contrast between him at the backand Val was alarming.
Bird won't play at the back again.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Bird was ordinary. Made no impact at all.
For someone who wants the ball he doesn't do much with it.

The contrast between him at the backand Val was alarming.
Bird won't play at the back again.
Agree....Val looks so smooth and composed at the back. Will improve with time as he learns when to inject himself into the plays. At the moment safe and confident which are good early signs. Think Birdy better snap up the 900- 1 mill while it's still on offer.

Id say he be held in higher esteem by the forum anti- fans if he got carried off a few times. Even better if he gets carried off before half time, then comes back on 2nd half.

A little Birdy whispered into Jacks ear before kick off last night

"If you think you are a $900,000 a season player how about you play like it"

That performance was his reaction. You be the judge.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Id say he be held in higher esteem by the forum anti- fans if he got carried off a few times. Even better if he gets carried off before half time, then comes back on 2nd half.
Nah....got more to do with whether or not he's worth near a million bucks a season. On the last couple of weeks he's answered that himself. Love how he contributed to our first premiership but gotta take the emotion out of the equation and be realistic.

Hes already played for that value in the Grand final. prob 4 guys in our team could play that well with that injury. Some in the backs cant play that well without an injury.
its guys like him you want, who lift to anotehr level during the finals series.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Yeah - get that he's a big game player but unfortunately playing gutsy in a Grand Final doesn't determine that he's worth a million bucks as a centre or lock/backrower moving forward.

What we pay & what others have to pay are 2 different things. What is without question though, is whichever club he is at, he will be the top 3 paid & a club superstar. I liked the analogy of Freddy Fittler earlier. Took him a long time to become an elite 5/8. Even Johns took to well past 26 before he even got in Origin as a regular.

wibble

Bench
What we pay & what others have to pay are 2 different things. What is without question though, is whichever club he is at, he will be the top 3 paid & a club superstar. I liked the analogy of Freddy Fittler earlier. Took him a long time to become an elite 5/8. Even Johns took to well past 26 before he even got in Origin as a regular.

Even though I was pointing out the areas Fittler was better than Bird (comparing an experienced Fittler to an inexperienced Bird), I agree Bird has the potential to be a Fittler. Whether he gets to that supreme level or not, time will tell, but definitely Fittler (and all other elite players) took some time to get there.

Playing Origin in your second year (first year in the centres) is a good sign. Playing a great grand final while busted, and just out of rookie status, is another good sign.

The issue is if it is worth paying a lot for potential. If he becomes as good as Fittler, I'd say throw everything at him, pay him a 10 year 10 million dollar contract, and count the premierships.

But if we pay him that money and he becomes a top first grader but not elite, like say Matthew Johns, then we are using a lot of cap on a good first grader and losing the chance to get an elite player because our cap is tied up.

It is a dilemma, one that clubs face regularly, and probably one without a correct answer, except in hindsight.

I trust that Flanagan will get the balance right, as he has shown excellent roster management so far, and I wish Bird good luck no matter what he does. Helping us to that premiership like he did will always make him a Sharks legend.

Card Shark

Immortal
The issue is if it is worth paying a lot for potential. If he becomes as good as Fittler, I'd say throw everything at him, pay him a 10 year 10 million dollar contract, and count the premierships..

I like everything you said but definitely don't do this!

Guys like Gal, Bird, Feefs, Lewis, Ennis & Barba are guys you want in a club & pay more for. They are winners. Tough, durable, professional. Go to another level in big games. Surround them with dime a dozen speedy wingers.

Stake Removed

First Grade
End of year Will Chambers is off contract, same position as Bird, yes he is 28, but in $$$ value is there much between them

wibble

Bench
Guys like Gal, Bird, Feefs, Lewis, Ennis & Barba are guys you want in a club & pay more for. They are winners. Tough, durable, professional. Go to another level in big games. Surround them with dime a dozen speedy wingers.

I agree. But would you pay $900 k for each of them? That would leave you with only about $4 million (speculating, since no one knows what the cap will be...) for the other 19 players, or about $200 k each. That includes players like Graham, Maloney, Prior and Holmes.

The ideal squad is chock full of as many of the tough winners you describe, and to do that you can't pay too much for any one of them. Sharks strength last year was having so many players with those qualities, and honest toilers like Heighington, Bukuya, Feki, Beale and Leutele to round out the squad.

Frenzy.

Immortal
A little Birdy whispered into Jacks ear before kick off last night

"If you think you are a $900,000 a season player how about you play like it"

That performance was his reaction. You be the judge.

Got a performane of a centre worth about $400-450k.

I can see him being between a rock and a hard place for us. Wants spine money but won't play in the spine. Barring injury of course.